Purchasing first pontoon, wondering if this build is appropriate.

aw113sgte

Reaction score
This will be for the Mississippi. Lots of shallow water use. Wife will be driving it as well. Will be beaching on sand a lot. Some tubing, skiing. Kids are 4 and 2.

One thing I'm concerned with is the draft. In the Bennington brochure as the SPS package as having the deepest draft of all the tube upgrades which kid of goes against everything I've read about tritoons. Any thoughts?

Capture.JPG

Looks good to me. We have sps and a 200 and it seems like it doesn’t draft that much. What does the brochure say?

Also, blue boats seem to run faster

The elipticals do float the best but they are not good for water sports. Our past lake was relatively shallow in spots and I just trimmed up and idled through. I'm sure all of the boats are within inches of each other anyway. We love our SPS setup.

So with sand likely to be tracked all over, should I avoid the woven vinyl and pick a solid one instead? I could see sand/dirt stuck in the woven.

I might be wrong, but I think the turbo swing is the ski tow set up that attaches to the transom on each side of the motor, and loops around with a little pulley to connect the tow rope to.

1. Spoiled is correct on the Turbo Swing. Highest rated strength in a tow bar.
  2. We have it instead of the traditional tow bar.
  3. It is actually the only option that is fully certified from an engineering perspective/rating for the drag created by tubing, as opposed to traditional skiing.
  4. IF there was ever an accident/lawsuit issue, that may become an insurance issue.
  5. However, due to cost, most people don’t go the Turbo Swing route, and just stick with traditional tow bars - which technically are more rated for significantly lower drag created by skiing.
  6. Personally, we got it for the rating/security, because we will tube more than water ski, it is out of the way of the rear deck, and finally because we like how the ski/tubing line shifts around when turning.
  7. That said, its ridiculously priced compared to the more traditional option.

Little heavy on the options for me. What in the world is a Turbo Swing? I have the coffee table/cooler, and it just gets in our way.
Better to just bring a cooler on board if needed?
Could you clarify what you mean about heavy on the options? Please tell me honest thoughts, don't want to waste money!

I don’t think its too optioned out at all. Nice aesthetic options. Good sound system options for when out on the water. An SPS with a 200hp is a great hull and motor combination. :cool:

It is all about what you intend to do when out on the pontoon. With your other options it looks like you want to fish, as well as do water sports. Assuming that’s true, you have a nice set up. :)

IF you don’t plan to do those two fishing and watersports, then you could probably trim a few options off. Otherwise, I wouldn’t get rid of any of it.

And since its your money not mine, I’d toss a bunch of other expensive options. :D

And since its your money not mine, I’d toss a bunch of other expensive options. :D
While I don't want to waste money, we do have flexibility...so what would you change considering it's my (well really more my wife's) money, what would you change?
Yes watersports and fishing are on the menu.

• Are you sure you want Yamaha command link? It's nice but expensive.
  • The privacy enclosure is something we did not get but our kids are all older - it may save you some $$ too if you don't need it.
  • Hydraulic assist power steering is a must.
  • We opted for just the normal pylon as we do watersports on the other boat. If you are doing a lot of tubing, I would stay with what you have.
  • You have a great engine and stereo outfit, and to me, that is very important:)!
  • don't skimp on your helm seat. Get the one you really want. You will spend a lot of time there.
  • The elevated helm is also very nice. Gives you a little better view and well worth the $$ in my opinion.
  • eliminating washdown is also an option. will save you a few hundred bucks...
  • Double bimini is good for those with skin issues or the fair skinned among us (me included) but I found the normal bimini gives us plenty of shade.

Looks like you have a great boat. Don't sweat the small stuff. Your engine, logs, and tunes are great. The rest is just icing on the cake. Relax and enjoy the wait.

First off, I do think you have a very good set up with your intended uses. I don’t think there is a NEED to add anything. If you still have some budget room, here are some things I’d consider and why:

* Extended aft deck = SUPER helpful when doing water sports; kids getting on and off when swimming, tubing, etc... The extra space back there is just simply nice. We do a lot of water sports with our Bennington, and this is a nice option in that regard. I would absolutely recommend this for the additional floor space in an area where it counts for watersports, and I could see it being handy when fishing.

* Heavy duty rub rail = Possible addition to help protect the boat for those unexpected bumps or slides against objects. Just a practical item to help protect the side of the boat.

* Pop-up cleats = Nice that they settle nearly flush with floor for no stubbed toes, but can be popped up when you need to tie up to a dock or another boat. Clean look, but practical on avoiding stubbed toes - particular with kids.

* Sharkhide Protectant = Helps keep toons clean and shinny. Just helps with aesthetics of the toons staying shinny. Nothing essential by any means.

* Tilt steering = Nice option to simply make driving a bit more comfortable, particularly making it a bit more adjustable for different drives: you v wife v possible other people. A little practice, but not an essential by any means.

* G series reclining helm chair = Each upgraded boat model chair is simply that much more comfy and plush compared to the lower model. Totally an aesthetic and luxury kind of add on.

* Simrad G05 = Very nice digital gps/fishfinder/and a dozen other features system. I really...really like our Simrad G05. I refer to it constantly, and if you are doing river cruising, it might be really nice for keeping track of location, destinations, saving waypoints, etc...

• Are you sure you want Yamaha command link? It's nice but expensive.
  • The privacy enclosure is something we did not get but our kids are all older - it may save you some $$ too if you don't need it.
  • Hydraulic assist power steering is a must.
  • We opted for just the normal pylon as we do watersports on the other boat. If you are doing a lot of tubing, I would stay with what you have.
  • You have a great engine and stereo outfit, and to me, that is very important:)!
  • don't skimp on your helm seat. Get the one you really want. You will spend a lot of time there.
  • The elevated helm is also very nice. Gives you a little better view and well worth the $$ in my opinion.
  • eliminating washdown is also an option. will save you a few hundred bucks...
  • Double bimini is good for those with skin issues or the fair skinned among us (me included) but I found the normal bimini gives us plenty of shade.
Looks like you have a great boat. Don't sweat the small stuff. Your engine, logs, and tunes are great. The rest is just icing on the cake. Relax and enjoy the wait.

Command link...seems to be required with the drive by wire motor, which seemed highly recommend for easier control when moving slow. This is one I have doubts about. People were indicating the manual one required tapping the throttle and overshooting often?

Privacy enclosure=required for wife

Washdown=required by wife

Double bimini=required by wife

First off, I do think you have a very good set up with your intended uses. I don’t think there is a NEED to add anything. If you still have some budget room, here are some things I’d consider and why:

* Extended aft deck = SUPER helpful when doing water sports; kids getting on and off when swimming, tubing, etc... The extra space back there is just simply nice. We do a lot of water sports with our Bennington, and this is a nice option in that regard. I would absolutely recommend this for the additional floor space in an area where it counts for watersports, and I could see it being handy when fishing.

* Heavy duty rub rail = Possible addition to help protect the boat for those unexpected bumps or slides against objects. Just a practical item to help protect the side of the boat.

* Pop-up cleats = Nice that they settle nearly flush with floor for no stubbed toes, but can be popped up when you need to tie up to a dock or another boat. Clean look, but practical on avoiding stubbed toes - particular with kids.

* Sharkhide Protectant = Helps keep toons clean and shinny. Just helps with aesthetics of the toons staying shinny. Nothing essential by any means.

* Tilt steering = Nice option to simply make driving a bit more comfortable, particularly making it a bit more adjustable for different drives: you v wife v possible other people. A little practice, but not an essential by any means.

* G series reclining helm chair = Each upgraded boat model chair is simply that much more comfy and plush compared to the lower model. Totally an aesthetic and luxury kind of add on.

* Simrad G05 = Very nice digital gps/fishfinder/and a dozen other features system. I really...really like our Simrad G05. I refer to it constantly, and if you are doing river cruising, it might be really nice for keeping track of location, destinations, saving waypoints, etc...
Thanks! I'll look into these options more!

Looks good to me. We have sps and a 200 and it seems like it doesn’t draft that much. What does the brochure say?

Also, blue boats seem to run faster
HaHa. Like the "Blue Boat' comment!

Command link...seems to be required with the drive by wire motor, which seemed highly recommend for easier control when moving slow. This is one I have doubts about. People were indicating the manual one required tapping the throttle and overshooting often?

Privacy enclosure=required for wife

Washdown=required by wife

Double bimini=required by wife
Happy Wife, Happy Life!!

I agree 100% with Viking, our extended rear deck is fantastic and just finishes the back off so cleanly. Pop up cleats would be great, they weren’t available when we ordered. The heavy duty rub rail will come in handy at the dock and is a minimal cost upgrade. GPS/fish finder would be preference but I wouldn’t do without it. I did notice the SPS plus hull option which gives you up to 250hp which would make a red boat much faster than blue. ;) you can never get more horsepower for less than now and will guarantee you won’t wonder how better it’d be with a 250hp. As the saying goes, you can always pull back on the lever to slow down, pushing harder against stop only give you more frustration! I would of killed for that option!! Your build is fantastic, just keep in mind you need to make sure your wants and needs are meet as well as your budget. If you have that much extra I’m sure we can help you out! ;)

Add the extended rear deck. You'll be glad you did. I personally would remove the privacy enclosure. Our first boat didn't have it and my wife "thought" it would be nice to have. Our current boat has one, never been used, and takes up space under the rear lounger where it's mounted. I'm going to remove it this spring because I would rather have the extra storage space.

Back