QUESTION ON DOCKING

I wouldn't go smaller than 6.5 x 23. Use 3 per side.

Have a couple spares on board. You can keep the spare deflated, just keep a small basketball pump on board. I have a cheap one that's not much bigger than a can koozie. Tape the needle to the side of the pump. Put another needle in a storage bin.

Even if you don't have spare bumpers, the hand pump is worth having.

I use small spring loaded clips to hang our bumpers - three from each side and an extra on the ladder when we dock. I don't tie up exactly like the pictures above, however, I set the dock lines the first time out so it only takes a minute to tie up after that. The last two years I have not had a boat beside me (port side). We'll see this year if I have a neighbor - I hope not! Boat is going in today...
Got a pic of your clips? Or google it and post a link to what it looks like? Curious...

Try Tidy Ups by Taylor. They are easy to adjust and are pretty affordable. They look professional too.

Try Tidy Ups by Taylor. They are easy to adjust and are pretty affordable. They look professional too.
Found them on line ,problem is the don't tell you if they come single or a pack of 2,4 etc

You just don't want a lot of extra line, if you do, don't wrap around a cleat twenty times. Wrap excess in a circular pattern next to the cleat. I rushed to get mine tied up this year, and have to redo them, as I have too much extra line around my cleats. One other thing to watch for, is any sharp edges that can chafe your lines. If there is, or lines crossing each other, use chafe guards. I also use quick clips on the boat cleats, makes it so much easier.

Got a pic of your clips? Or google it and post a link to what it looks like? Curious...
I use something like this. Bumper connected to one end rope and other end of rope tied to clip. Then slip the clip around the rail and attach to the rope (does that make sense?). I've had it that way for the past two seasons and have had no problems. Three bumpers on each side that I generally leave on all the time.

I use something like this. Bumper connected to one end rope and other end of rope tied to clip. Then slip the clip around the rail and attach to the rope (does that make sense?). I've had it that way for the past two seasons and have had no problems. Three bumpers on each side that I generally leave on all the time.
Makes sense to me .

I have a few of these top rail Taylor made fender adjusters, but they're plastic and you have re-tie knots to adjust them up and down.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Fender-Adjusters-For-Pontoon-Boat-Rails-4-pack&i=74625

The R Series fence panels go all the way to the top rail which leaves fewer options, so I'm going to use the EZFender adjustable ones instead.

http://www.ezfender.com/

They're very easy to adjust with just a thumb screw and very nicely made, appropriate for a Bennington. The only down side is you do have to drill 2 holes into the top rail for each one mounted. I ordered directly from Bryan and he's great to work with, being a pontoon enthusiast himself.

Here is a video from West Marine on selecting dock lines that may help you choose something appropriate for your boat. I have a setup like the one shown in the diagram by Semper and this was helpful in selecting the right length lines when shopping before picking up the boat.

Good luck!

I have a few of these top rail Taylor made fender adjusters, but they're plastic and you have re-tie knots to adjust them up and down.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Fender-Adjusters-For-Pontoon-Boat-Rails-4-pack&i=74625

The R Series fence panels go all the way to the top rail which leaves fewer options, so I'm going to use the EZFender adjustable ones instead.

http://www.ezfender.com/

They're very easy to adjust with just a thumb screw and very nicely made, appropriate for a Bennington. The only down side is you do have to drill 2 holes into the top rail for each one mounted. I ordered directly from Bryan and he's great to work with, being a pontoon enthusiast himself.
Be careful as they may rub a hole in your cover, and that's not covered under warranty.

I use these, as the can mount on any rail top or side.

a68929de6b3491b35017f2e0dfca07c6.jpg

I contacted Bryan at ezfender, theses can be mounted on the side or underside of the rail.

I contacted Bryan at ezfender, theses can be mounted on the side or underside of the rail.
Cool. My only concern would be fraying over time where it "pinches" it. Does the end of the threaded portion have a wider flat area to spread the contact area out or protect the line from the sharp edges where the threading is?

No, it doesn't. I'd just replace the ropes every so often.

Its a good idea to replace ropes! I learned the hard way Lost a rubber coated river anchor the other day the knot failed but Im thinking that was in service for at least 15 years at the very least inspect all knots.

I was just looking over the photo's that Semperfi posted and it looks like several lines are tied to one cleat. Is this possible? I will be tieing up to my dock that is on just one side.

I am able to get two 1/2" lines through one cleat but it does take a little bit of work to feed the second one through.

I was just looking over the photo's that Semperfi posted and it looks like several lines are tied to one cleat. Is this possible? I will be tieing up to my dock that is on just one side.
Yes, a couple turns and a cleat knot is all I do. I can get 2-3 ropes on a cleat on our dock. Remember front to rear, rear to front, kerps it from shifting front to rear.

I then have a line on front port toon to dock and rear starboard cleat to dock cleats as backups.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, I hope I'm not being a pain but I can just tie one rope directly on top of the previous? I just don't want my boat to go floating down the river and over the dam.

I have my first line tied off, then I put my second on top. Keep in mind I'm on a lake with no real current trying to pull the boat but I get a fair amount if wake action. Look at the "lesson" thread I started to make sure you tie off to cleat properly. It all starts with how the rope goes around the cleat initially.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Sir. I really appreciate the help.

Back