2013 20 SLX

Reaction score
I will be docking at a dock for the summer, I have a question, I am not

sure of so this is the place to ask.

While pontoon is docked for a few days with bumpers between the

boat and the dock. Should the tie off ropes be loose or hold the

pontoon tightly to the dock. Pontoon will be in a no wake area, however

I fear storms and wind.

Looking your your ideas and suggestions please.

Ron 2013 20 SLX

Are you tying up to one side or both? Is it a floating dock or fixed dock? Is it covered or not?

I keep mine close, not tight, but enough to allow wave action not to swing it back n forth.

My bumpers almost touch. I don't keep them tight because if boat rolls front to rear they also may ride up onto dock making them useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Semper close but not touching the rail. Ours slip puts us next to another boat so we need it to stay in place even in bad weather so we cross the front lines in a crisscross pattern. Right side tying to the left and vise a versa. This keeps the boat very stable for side to side so not drifting into the other boat. Maybe not necessary but I sleep better when we are in the water.

I agree with the close, but not too tight theory... The guy from the dealership helped me set it up in the slip when they first delivered it. I installed cleats (to the dock) and he tied it off so that I could slip the line off from the boat side and leave the lines tied off at the dock. I too park beside/close to the boat (another pontoon) next to me (only about 18" between us at the front). He tied up the front too tight as just the action of stepping on/off the boat at the front eventually loosend and pulled out the cleat on the dock. So, I played around with the length a few times over a couple weeks before I got it set to something close, but not "too tight". Has worked fine for the past two summers.

Floating dock uncovered, ties up to the right side of the boat....So tie her loosely to the dock so the

bumpers dont ride up is that correct ?

No other boat on it side.

Ron

This a great question as I've always wondered what would be considered best practice.

The docks near us are mostly floating. I tie off somewhat lose but not too lose as I don't want the little ones falling in between the dock and the boat.

You want your front crisscrossed and ALSO YOUR SIDES FRONT TO REAR. Front prevents side to side and sides crisscross prevents front to rear movement. Also right rear to front RIGHT of boat. If tied CORRECTLY, the boat will move very little left to right and front to rear. DON'T BE CHEAP WITH DOCK LINES, IT WILL BE YOUR MOST EXPENSIVE "CHEAP" mistake if you do.

+1 what Dave said.

Mooring whips are a good thing. I use those when the boats in the water. They will hold your boat off the dock/pier about 5 feet and you don't need fenders (bumpers). Once you set all the lines correctly it will take one minute (maybe two) to use the mooring whips.

Steve

Edited description .....

Here's how I was taught to tie up. Red lines are main dock lines, blue are to keep tension to dock to protect boat beside you if a line breaks

....... this applies if you are on a finger dock, and have a port side exit ....... flip it for starboard exit.

Mines on a end dock now, so I don't have the right side to "pull" it away from the dock, so I'm adding extra "large" bumpers to the dock side as some extra insurance.

lines2.png

I didn't know the proper way, Thanks for the post SemperFi

Semper - With your outside dock you should consider whips if they are allowed on the dock.

I have shown how we dock our boat. I like short ropes at maximum angles.

No, it's a State Park Dock, so no mods allowed. It's hard enough to get people to even tie up their toons half assed, let alone, properly.

That's why we took the chance on a outside dock, so no neighbor.

This is a little overkill, but better too many than not enough.

Orange circles are bumpers, minimum 3, maybe 4 if 24' ????

Remember, an extra bumper or two equals $40. Lose a bumper in a 2 bumper layout, you could be talking thousands in damage.

Semper, those drawings are worth a thousand words.

And thousands of $, as you said.

Thanks for posting, that is very interesting. Normally, my boat is in the slip 30 minutes max (valet service takes it out). One night I took the guys out, and the marina was closed when we got back and I had to leave it in a slip overnight. I did NOT do anything close to tying it up like you showed, but I sure see the value in it. Dumb part is I have plenty of lines to do this, just didn't know. THANKS!!!

As an afterthought, I also have plenty of bumpers. Could easily double them up as extra insurance. Takes no extra time to put two out vs one.

Thanks.......... Yeah for the money I have invested in my Benni, for less than $100 in a couple bumpers and extra lines, it's worth the extra insurance. I can't control everything, but I'll damn sure try to control what I can. My Benni is worth it !!!!

Thanks.......... Yeah for the money I have invested in my Benni, for less than $100 in a couple bumpers and extra lines, it's worth the extra insurance. I can't control everything, but I'll damn sure try to control what I can. My Benni is worth it !!!!
Still in the process of getting the extra equipment .

The dealer is supplying two 20x5 fenders and two 15 ft x 3/8 docklines.

I will be docked on a fixed dock with another boat on the port side .

I planning on using fenders on both sides ( 3 )

Do I need larger size ?

What is the best way to hang them ?

Also after looking at your drawings in regards on how to tie up, I know I am going to need addition lines .

I am thinking 4 more ,

I just don;t know who long the should be ?

I have read in a few place here don't buy them too long .

Thanks

I use small spring loaded clips to hang our bumpers - three from each side and an extra on the ladder when we dock. I don't tie up exactly like the pictures above, however, I set the dock lines the first time out so it only takes a minute to tie up after that. The last two years I have not had a boat beside me (port side). We'll see this year if I have a neighbor - I hope not! Boat is going in today...

Back