Question on Insurance

Jimbo11

Reaction score
We reside in Florida and bought a Progressive policy when we purchased our boat. It's renewal time and I'm asking for suggestions on other companies to comparison shop. Thank you.

I use Boat US. Been with them 10 years now I think.

I would check around. I do not have a Benn yet but on my CC Progressive was cheaper than Boats US but may be different for you. It may depend on your age, area etc. It never hurts to shop around for the best rates because it is rare that companies will let you know they can give you cheaper rates. I just did that will my house, boat and 4 vehicles and ending up saving a substantial amount....

I had Boat US. I believe they are a very good insurer. But I paid 3x more than Progressive.

BostUS's oil spill coverage is much more substantial, but a pontoon boat engine doesn't have enough oil to come anywhere near those limits.

Didn't BoatUS have a buyout a few years ago?

I have used Progressive for 12 years, very inexpensive. I insure my boat for $130 a year. I had a runabout before that cost me $120 a year and had a stringer break from some kind of impact on the hull. The repair was almost $3000, boat was only worth about $5000 at the time. No problems what so ever with them.

I don't use Progressive because of who they donate to. We use Farm Bureau since our cars and home is with them and our coverage is exceptional. We had damage from muskrats ($2400.00) and it was covered. Don't just look at price, look at coverage.

Don't just look at price, look at coverage.
Truer words were never spoken. Like with many things in life, you usually get what you pay for.

If you bundle your auto and homeowners insurance, you usually get a lot better deal. As such, I'd have your agent quote the Benny with that company.

Boat US on the Benny, Progressive on the jet ski. It seems odd Boat US was higher on the jet ski but it is what it is.

With Boat US you also get a break on their towing but to get full coverage for that too they charge another $45 or so. Without the rider I believe they pay the first $250.

If you bundle your auto and homeowners insurance, you usually get a lot better deal. As such, I'd have your agent quote the Benny with that company.

All of my "stuff" is with progressive, house, cars, boat. Never had any troubles with coverage.

We use AAA. Not too expensive and excellent coverage

Being on state park water, last thing I need is an oil or fuel leak leading to 10’s of thousands, or much much more in damages (think wildlife habitat, plants, fish kill) so I’ll spend a little more for my $900,000+ coverage just to be safe... ;)
I never plan on having a fire, but I have lots of fire extinguishers handy .... :D

We insure our boat and motor through Farm Bureau, in large part because we have our combination home, auto and umbrella policy are through them. Thus, we have multi-policy discounts.

I can delete the next part if necessary due to rules (?), but since so many people listed Progressive, I feel an obligation to comment. I managed my dad & step mom’s estates in 2015-16 following their deaths in an accident. Progressive was the motor cycle insurer. I only had to deal with TWO companies that were major headaches as part of the estate. Unfortunately, they were one of the two. I would never in my life do business with them personally after that experience. Heaven forbid the worst happens. However, if it does, you are potentially handing off to your survivors a nightmare if you are insured with them.

Again, if mention of a specific company is a problem, I am happy to delete the above. I have no skin in the game, and know one’s agent is sometimes a key part of who you insure with. I just felt an obligation to speak up after what we went through in the aftermath of their deaths.

Last edited:
We have Progressive. The longer you keep it the more your Deductible goes down. Started out with a $1000 deductible it dropped $200.00 a year so after 5 no Deductible, unless you turn in a claim. Turned in one claim and got very good service. Not about the price but about the coverage and the service.

Back