Question on troubleshooting a starting issue

sampy0004

Reaction score
Hello,

I have 2275 R/L pontoon with a 4.3 Mercruiser I/O. The last couple months I have had a problem starting my boat. My problem has been that it will click when turning the key and after several tries it starts. Usually takes activating the key 2-5 times and then it finally turns over. Because of this I thought it was the solenoid so I replaced it yesterday but the same problem continues. All the connections seem tight and the battery has plenty of juice so I don't know what else it could be except maybe the starter itself is intermittent. Anybody have an idea what this could be?

Jim

Please let me know

Did you replace the solenoid on the starter or the relay? If you replaced the solenoid on the starter the problem is probably the relay.

Check your starter, battery, and starter switch cable connections for a solid connection as well as corrosion or damage (don't rule out rodent gnawing).

If that all checks out, then it's probably the starter motor/solenoid assembly on the engine.

Thanks everyone. The solenoid I replaced is actually on top of the motor and has to large terminals and two small ones. Since it was on top of the motor it was easy to change. Maybe it is just considered a relay.

The starter looks really hard to get to. This is an I/O so its deep in the well.

Thanks everyone. The solenoid I replaced is actually on top of the motor and has to large terminals and two small ones. Since it was on top of the motor it was easy to change. Maybe it is just considered a relay.

The starter looks really hard to get to. This is an I/O so its deep in the well.
That sounds like a starter relay, not a solenoid. The solenoid is mounted on the starter itself. Here is a good article explaining the components of a starting system:

Starter motor, starting system: how it works, problems, testing

Back