carribeanmum

Reaction score
Another couple of questions about our 22 SSRFBX Premium Bennington that we are about to order: 

1. Will the single battery switch shut off all electronics, etc. that drains battery? If not, what do we need to do to have one switch for everything. 

2. Is a single battery enough? We had a runabout with one battery (used stereo for 3-4 hours without running motor) and it was just fine. 

3. We want to ski and tube with this and will be getting a Yamaha 150. Will the Ski Tow Bar work for both? (Was told that there is a sticker on the bar stating do not use for tubing?) What do you use for tubing? 

4. We want lighting for inside the pontoon when we come in to our dock at night (to clean up and have sufficient light to see where we are walking on/off) without spending $2,000 extra for toe kick lighting - which then makes us add on all the RGB lighting/speaker lighting is there another option? 

5. Can we have them mount the ladder on the left side? (Will need to access our boat from back and would make it easier to get in and out) Cannot use left side door as our dock is on drivers side. Want to have extra seating in front so will access from the back

6. Can we have pop up cleats in the back also? (Again just to make it easier to get in and out) 

7. Does the seagrass carpet clean up nicely? Just wondering if food particles and sand will get in the seagrass. Has anyone had any issues with the woven vinyl being slippery when wet?

Thanks in advance for answering our questions! 

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Assuming the single switch is a disconnect and should kill the boat.

2. I have just a single battery on my boat and a basic radio. We don't have any issues using our radio, leave the GPS on etc. 

3.we have an extended aft with a ski bar and use it for everything but towing another boat! That being said our SS ladder is under the boat and the handle doesn't get in the way for boarding.

4. There is a small white light on the side of the helm that lights up for boarding etc. it's enough for us to get on and off the boat. May or may not be enough for you.

5.see #3 may be a possibility didn't look up your floor plan

6. It's usually an option in the boat builder, check with your dealer.

7. Sea grass is fantastic! Have a 5yo, 2yo, and 3 labs. Cleans up with out any issues and has been holding up well to the abuse!

Best of luck with your new boat!

I would definitely do the dual battery set up.  I have seagrass and it is not slippery and holds up very well and is easy to clean..  This is my second Bennington with that floor covering.  Hope this helps...  Post some pics when it comes in.  : )

+1 for the dual battery, its just peace of mind in my opinion and not a very costly upgrade.  But there is a perko switch to kill all power to the boat.

Yes You can switch out the standard cleats for pop ups so no one kicks them accidentally its an option on the build sheet.

#4 - I put the snap cover on in the dark only using the side console light this past weekend, it puts out lots of light.

just make sure that the radio memory wire doesn't bypass the switch.  Ours did and it killed both batteries.  we changed the wire to after the switch.  we lose memory but the boat starts.  

I've never had a dead battery from the radio memory.

It sat for 7 weeks.

I've towed a boat from the ski tow bar.  5 boats, actually.  Shhhhh.  Used an airhead tube rope that had a 3-foot section of "bungee" cord in it though to absorb shock.  And LOTS of tubes.

You can buy a similar ladder "after market" for a couple hundred bucks.  That may be the way to go.  Never thought about adding a ladder on the other side.  That would make adjusting my sonar transducer a LOT easier.  Should work fine to have two ladders.  I would think Bennington could just mount it on the other side for you though.  Not sure why that wouldn't work.  They may have done this before too.

1-2) I think radio memory would be it, and honestly that shouldn't be a concern at all for battery drain. If you turn the master battery switch off, you will be fine. I personally would go with the dual battery for overall piece of mind, but I am conservative in those areas. The cost differential for the flexibility and security is nice.

3) You could go with a Turbo Swing which is rated for both skiing and tubing.  That is what we did, but it is much pricier.  Tough call due to cost, but we didn't want any regrets on getting our last boat first. It has worked GREAT for us, but I've also never known anyone to have a problem with a normal ski tow bar.

4) The white light on the console is absolutely bright enough for boarding and deboarding at night.  Probably good enough for cleaning up too.  You could also consider the lighted Bimini option.  It is a series of soft white/bluish LED lights in the Bimini top.  Of course, you need the bimini up to use them. That said, it is the only other option if avoiding the whole RGB thing...  Of course a couple flashlights, or phone lights, mixed with the consol light probably takes care of this for you anyway.

5) No idea. Worth asking dealer/Benngington directly.

6) We have the pop up cleats front and back...LOVE THEM.

7) We love our beige seagrass flooring. We have zero issues with it.  Not slick when wet.  Doesn't get too hot for us.  Easy to clean up with no worries. We wouldn't get anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you got your boat yet? We just ordered. 23 SSRFBXP. Would love to see pics of yours.

We have dual battery switch, radio memory has never been a problem. We use the tow bar for tubing also, no issues.

No we haven't gotten that far. What did you decide to order on it?
Smokey granite with matador red accent, extended deck aft with Yamaha 200 hp motor and ski tow bar. We upgraded the kicker speakers and added the lighting to the speakers, cup holders and toe lighting, added front cooler storage, in floor ski storage, and heavy duty rub rail. Also upgraded the ladder to the stainless steel ladder that folds up and stores underneath the boat. Can’t wait to see it, probably in December.

Smokey granite with matador red accent, extended deck aft with Yamaha 200 hp motor and ski tow bar. We upgraded the kicker speakers and added the lighting to the speakers, cup holders and toe lighting, added front cooler storage, in floor ski storage, and heavy duty rub rail. Also upgraded the ladder to the stainless steel ladder that folds up and stores underneath the boat. Can’t wait to see it, probably in December.
Wow sounds like a great boat! How exciting. Post pictures when you can!

Back