Questions on 2274 GL order & about this forum.....

TexBoater

Reaction score
I've been reading this forum for the past two years.   It's been enjoyable as well as a great help and it helped sell me on the value of the Bennington brand.    In the next few weeks we will order a 2274 GL with SPS package, 150 Yamaha, & most of the goodies.  My wife and I have been living in W. Africa for the past four years and we look forward to getting back to the US, building the new home in the Texas Hill Country and keeping our boat in Canyon Lake Tx.

Before posting my questions I  need to share that while this forum has been of great help, it's also cost me about $10,000 by convincing me, or inadvertently shaming me into ordering the third toon, a larger motor, center storage, extended rear deck and a few other upgrades...... ;)       In retrospect, I am sure I'll be happy I have upgraded.   My three questions:

Gas tank -- The base 2274 GL has a 26 gallon fuel tank.  It can be upgraded to 31 gallons for a small amount but I am wondering if I want to lose the added room the extra 5 gallons takes.  Where will the tank be located???  I assume it may be in the rear change room/enclosure but am not sure.  Having the added 5 gallon may be nice but if it crowds other areas, I may pass on it.   Canyon Lake is 6-7 miles long and to I don't anticipate needing to make any long hauls.   Thoughts please???

Towing frame -- I think I prefer to the towing frame as opposed to the single pylon. We want the framework on the rear for use as hand holds, drying racks etc.   Perhaps the ski frame can be used as a grip.   Any thoughts???? 

Boarding ladder -- Do any of you have the new design 4 step stainless ladder for the extended deck.   Is it sturdy?  Easy to extend and collapse back underneath?    I note it hangs down from the extended deck with no support from the rear of the toon.   I worry it may not be so easy to climb.   We're retirement age with old knees, etc. etc.

One final comment.  I fear the only limitation to my new boating experience will be my crew.  My crew will be my wife and my dog and neither have ever obeyed any of my commands.    My wife assumes any command it a signal to start negotiating and my dog (maybe the worst dog in the World) simply ignores order I give unless she gets something to eat in return.  I fear a mutiny is possible.

I'll appreciate your thoughts on the two items above and I will likely have a few more in the next few weeks..  Thanks much. 

Welcome to the forum Texboater..........

You have to make her the Captain! Only way it's going to work. Ha! Seriously......... regardless of who is the Captain you all have to work as a team. While really enjoyable boating is work............Taking the playpen cover off, putting it back on, throw the anchor out and tie up, put the fenders out, pull up to the gas dock, putting the boat off and on the trailer, put the bimini up. Whew! Tired already! Take care of the crew and they'll take care of you!

Sorry can't help you w/the gas tank location, towing frame (We have a single pylon) or boarding ladder (We have a 3 step). Good luck w/the move back to the United States and w/the Bennington order.................

We have the four step ladder , I think it's very sturdy and works great.

Good luck with your order.   Andy

I love having the towing frame as opposed to the single pylon.  It's a great handhold for just general walking around on the aft deck, it gives something to lean my body against against when removing the cowling to check the oil (as well as to grab onto when latching/unlatching the cowling, and I've used it as a handhold when cleaning weeds out of my water intake when bobbing in the water.  I've never felt that it was in the way or regretted choosing it over the pylon.

I don't know exactly where the extra 5 gallons of gas would be but can't imagine it would be above the deck level and therefore take up any other storage room.  It's not like you'll have a separate orange 5 gallon jug somewhere -- it most certainly will just be part of a larger main fuel tank, and I like not having to worry about gas or fueling up more frequently. 

I have a 20 gal tank. Wish it was bigger. Not because of big lake. Only 3000 acres. BUT we have no marina gas, so I have to refuel with cans.

If I recall your tank might be either in the transom or center tube but even if it isn't go for more tank.

Don't worry, I think we all have that Captain issue. Just some of us are not afraid to admit it !! LOL !!! As for your dog, I see above you said, "she" so same rule applies ... she's in charge.

Can't comment on tow bar, I have a 20hp so no skiing for us .... Never saw any complaints on ladder other than a the rubber holder breaking (might have been addressed) and a little tight when new. My RLi has a big tank in the changing room but it has a carpeted platform so it's also a seat. Yeah it takes up some space, but I still have plenty in my seat storage still empty.

Have a safe journey back to the USA and welcome to the family !!!

Thanks to each for the comments. And yes, I do need to stay on the good side of my crew.

Am still waiting for the dealer to tell me exactly where the fuel tank is located. I had an excellent contact with Bennington but he has not replied to my last couple of ??'s. Not sure he's still around.

I have a 2014 2075 GL with the 31 gallon fuel tank. It is located under the sun pad (privacy enclosure area). I don't know if the location

is different with the smaller tank. I assume yours would be the same but I don't know for sure.

We were planning to not have any of the skiing/towing accessories in the back.  After a few test drives on various layouts we added the tow bar simply for use as a handhold.  Made it remarkably easier to get into and out of the boat.  I think the 4 step ladder is a must...an extra step with the added handhold  makes a world of difference. 

DJ - thanks.  Yes, I assume my tank will be in the privacy enclosure but want to be sure.   As of now  think I will pass on the added 5 gallons of storage.   The base tank gives 24 usable gallons and I think that will be fine.   By the way - your 2075 must scoot with that 150 on the rear. 

Jgingrey -- I agree we want the ski frame for a place to hang on to, pull up out of the water etc.  It doesn't look as sleek as the single pylon, but we think it will be more functional - for us at least.  On the 4 step stainless ladder, I was worried about the span between the top steof the ladder and and the deck of the boat but Bennington told me it was only 13".  The older 3 step ladder is a longer reach.  We think it will be OK.

We've had it up to 37 or so with 5 adults on board. Haven't tried tubing yet but we're spending a week at the lake 4th of July so we play with all the new water toys  :)

We have the extended deck and the frame style ski bar. We use it as a handle all the time when walking back there. It also protects the plastic motor cowling big time from getting scratched by skis, kneeboards, tubes, and the like when pulling them out of the water. It's also VERY useful for resting the wet tube on when draining water off it right after its done being used. It also begs to be used as a place to store the tube while underway, by strapping the tube to it, but I've never done that yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple - Make the dog the captain, he will order the wife to cook for him and you do all the work yourself, this will be easier in the long run

Big thanks. Looks like I've solved the tow frame ? and gathered good advice on crew management.

I agree the frame looks like it would have other value besides towing.

Unfortunately, can't make the dog captain. She has flunked the Texas boater certification test twice already.

Back