QX25 Swingback paint damage

John S

Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased my boat last summer and have about 60 hours on it. The painted fiberglass on sides of boat took some paint damage due to long wooden piers and lake chop. I want to repair paint but am wondering if there is any type of rub rail system that can be installed to eliminate this from happening again. The top part of the boat took the damage as the waves rocked the boat into the piers. Even with bumpers this happened... HELP !! Please.

John

John, were the bumpers attached to the dock or are you referring to the type that hang from your boat. You should be able to buy the type that attach directly to the dock and cover practically anything that has the possibility of rubbing. Also are mooring whips a consideration? Try riding around your lake and note what others are using.

For example: https://www.overtons.com/Anchor-Docking/Dock-Bumpers-Edging

Welcome to the forum John! Where do you boat and do you have pics of the damage? I agree with Link and Semp....Larger bumpers or mooring whips. Gotta keep that boat from making any contact with the dock regardless of how rough the water is.....

Welcome to the forum John! Where do you boat and do you have pics of the damage? I agree with Link and Semp....Larger bumpers or mooring whips. Gotta keep that boat from making any contact with the dock regardless of how rough the water is.....
Yeah, I am learning that. I have the boat at a marina where they launch and retrieve when we use it. Thus I am NOT in control of that and it makes it hard for me to control what is done. I don't have my own pier so I'm kinda screwed. I am taking to dealer about a possible rub rail that can be affixed along the line that seems to make contact with pier, something that will take the brunt of any pier post contact and not allow the paint to be damaged.

Oh man didn't realize that it was the marina that is technically responsible for the damage to your paint and panels. If there is damage to yours there must be many others with the same problem. Talk to them about the damage to see if they can fix/paint it and also see what they can do to prevent it from happening again. You spent alot of money on that Q. They should take care of it!

Oh man didn't realize that it was the marina that is technically responsible for the damage to your paint and panels. If there is damage to yours there must be many others with the same problem. Talk to them about the damage to see if they can fix/paint it and also see what they can do to prevent it from happening again. You spent alot of money on that Q. They should take care of it!

In order to use their marina we have to sign a waiver acknowledging "lake chop" and the possibility of pier damage. Most V hull boats and non Q series boats don't seem to have this problem. The exposed rails on the other pontoons eliminate this damage and on V hulls the side of the hull doesn't come up as high so their rub rails protect their boats. Its all the exposed painted fiberglass on the Q that can get scratced

Back