R23 gauges

I have the new touch screen gauges that come with the 2020 R23. My dealer said this was the first Benny they had delivered with them. They weren’t sure how they actually worked when they delivered the boat in June.

After playing with them myself I discovered that most readings only work on one or the other guage. Not both.

You can see that both guages are displaying the same screen. I think that there are 3 different screens.

Left screen shows 1/2 tank of gas, right screen shows empty. Likewise with the other readings.
Hours, tilt/trim. The only one correct on both screens is battery voltage.

No matter which screen I display something on the screen is not showing a reading.

View attachment 27979View attachment 27980View attachment 27981

Did Bennington or dealer forget to connect something?
Or is it the way they are supposed to work?

It’s been 3 months and no resolution.

Not sure if this will be any help to you/your dealer...I'm not even for certain what year/model was used to make this video since the poster doesn't have any information about it in the description, but I figured it may provide some further insight into what info should be displaying and how the functionality should be, nonetheless. YMMV.

Some questions answered. After I started this thread I decided to go with the Yamaha DEC motor on my build. My question then became “does that change the standard Veethree gauges to something else?” For some reason this was very difficult info to get. Finally got an answer from Bennington. If you choose the DEC motor and don’t choose one of the gauge/display upgrade options you will get the round Yamaha 6y8 digital gauges.
Unfortunately in the process of getting this info I learned that the custom ordered seats for my R23 were built incorrectly. After lots of back and forth the fix is to re-order the boat. New build date is in January. Bummer. Of course, since I had to start over I added a couple of options. LOL!

Some questions answered. After I started this thread I decided to go with the Yamaha DEC motor on my build. My question then became “does that change the standard Veethree gauges to something else?” For some reason this was very difficult info to get. Finally got an answer from Bennington. If you choose the DEC motor and don’t choose one of the gauge/display upgrade options you will get the round Yamaha 6y8 digital gauges.
Unfortunately in the process of getting this info I learned that the custom ordered seats for my R23 were built incorrectly. After lots of back and forth the fix is to re-order the boat. New build date is in January. Bummer. Of course, since I had to start over I added a couple of options. LOL!

Sorry it is leading to a new build date on another boat, but better to have caught it now in the off season (depending on your location). That would have been much worse to receive the finished boat and find some big problem with it. Fingers crossed for you on the new order. If I may ask, what additional options did you decide to toss one more $ at? Hard to resist, isn’t it!?!

Sorry it is leading to a new build date on another boat, but better to have caught it now in the off season (depending on your location). That would have been much worse to receive the finished boat and find some big problem with it. Fingers crossed for you on the new order. If I may ask, what additional options did you decide to toss one more $ at? Hard to resist, isn’t it!?!
Absolutely best to catch it when we did instead of at the dealer. I don’t need the boat until spring anyway. I added the bow gate seat and the Simrad Go7. Originally didn’t want the screen because I was afraid I wouldn’t like it. I love the Veethree R3 gauges but don’t think I like the Bennington version of them. Lots of people seem to like the Simrad and I know it has a lot of upside so I’m going for it.

Just putting it out there that I'm absolutely enamored with the Simrad. The map quality is fantastic, the day/night screens are perfect, and the customization is *bueller voice* Sooo choice. I've settled on a 3-in-1 display for most runs. It's also hilarious to see the tracks left on the GPS readout after an afternoon of tubing. Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 12.42.22 PM.png

I went back and forth on gauges too. Would have preferred the traditional ones with a Simrad to the side for depth and mapping but went with standalone Simrad as I am doing digital throttle. Glad to see it looks so sharp and has lots of functions. Now if only I could figure it all out. I’ll be tinkering with it on the water or parked in my driveway for sure next summer.

Just putting it out there that I'm absolutely enamored with the Simrad. The map quality is fantastic, the day/night screens are perfect, and the customization is *bueller voice* Sooo choice. I've settled on a 3-in-1 display for most runs. It's also hilarious to see the tracks left on the GPS readout after an afternoon of tubing. View attachment 28191
Nice! Thanks for the input!

I went back and forth on gauges too. Would have preferred the traditional ones with a Simrad to the side for depth and mapping but went with standalone Simrad as I am doing digital throttle. Glad to see it looks so sharp and has lots of functions. Now if only I could figure it all out. I’ll be tinkering with it on the water or parked in my driveway for sure next summer.
Yeah a full set of old school analogs would be nice but not an option with the DEC. I do like the idea of all the engine monitoring you get with command link

I'm going to do an in-depth review next season, including some deeper dives into the settings and remote viewing. The maps that come as default are not nearly as cool or detailed as the ones you can get by digging around in settings. Remote views are a bit gimmicky, but being able to view your digital readouts on a phone or tablet is kinda neat (like when you're letting your 15-y.o. drive and keeping track of the depth maps). I'd imagine it would be great for trolling from the front with a remote trolling motor, but it's not likely I'll ever do that.

I'm going to do an in-depth review next season, including some deeper dives into the settings and remote viewing. The maps that come as default are not nearly as cool or detailed as the ones you can get by digging around in settings. Remote views are a bit gimmicky, but being able to view your digital readouts on a phone or tablet is kinda neat (like when you're letting your 15-y.o. drive and keeping track of the depth maps). I'd imagine it would be great for trolling from the front with a remote trolling motor, but it's not likely I'll ever do that.
When you master it you should do a tutorial for all us noobs. ;) Or at least a list of your favorite settings.

Here my main engine screen on my Simrad. It can have 1 or 2 columns on the right by changing the settings with a couple of clicks.
I will probably change the Time and Rudder in the 2nd column to something else next year.
Fuel in the center is the gallons remaining in the tank.
1st column
Time
Jack Plate Height
MPG
Engine Temp
Eng Water Pres
Eng Oil Pres
Water Depth

2nd column
Water Temp
Fuel used since reset
Fuel used for season
Gear FNR
Time
Rudder N/A
Engine Hours

Simrad snapshot 20_11_05.jpg

Last edited:
Here my main engine screen on my Simrad. It can have 1 or 2 columns on the right by changing the settings with a couple of clicks.
I will probably change the Time and Rudder in the 2nd column to something else next year.
Fuel in the center is the gallons remaining in the tank.
1st column
Time
Jack Plate Height
MPG
Engine Temp
Eng Water Pres
Eng Oil Pres
Water Depth

2nd column
Water Temp
Fuel used since reset
Fuel used for season
Gear FNR
Time
Rudder N/A
Engine Hours

View attachment 28233
Which Simrad do you have?

Is this picture with digital pre-rig? I'm only getting Yamaha mechanical and can't find what exact information I will be able to access. Hopefully all if the needed stuff as it will be my only gauges. Lol

Mine is with Mercury pre-rig and DTS controls.

Is this picture with digital pre-rig? I'm only getting Yamaha mechanical and can't find what exact information I will be able to access. Hopefully all if the needed stuff as it will be my only gauges. Lol
Not sure about your question - if you are asking if you XB motor (mechanical vs XCA for digital) outputs engine data to a gauge, then yes. There is an engine bus output so if you get a Simrad or other digital gauge or MFD it will be rigged with a Yamaha hub and bus connection. Hopefully the dealer also installs a GPS receiver instead of using the water tube on the motor to measure speed.

You should of course always check with the dealer.

Not sure about your question - if you are asking if you XB motor (mechanical vs XCA for digital) outputs engine data to a gauge, then yes. There is an engine bus output so if you get a Simrad or other digital gauge or MFD it will be rigged with a Yamaha hub and bus connection. Hopefully the dealer also installs a GPS receiver instead of using the water tube on the motor to measure speed.

You should of course always check with the dealer.

The more I think about this, I want to stress the “check with dealer” part. While the 2020 catalog notes the Simrad with “engine integration” I suppose it’s possible that dealer would rig analog gauges to the engine bus but the Simrad would only support chartplotting function. Measure twice, cut once.

3A0C2F8B-7781-4F4B-B544-54B66DBA7106.jpeg953EEF61-22A0-4EBA-B254-D851A86555D9.jpeg

Here’s the description on my build with the Yamaha mech 250 Sho. Will be interesting to see what all is displays....

Attachments

• DB8ED87B-6712-45B9-A84D-224355C8A8AF.jpeg
    DB8ED87B-6712-45B9-A84D-224355C8A8AF.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 18
Here’s the description on my build with the Yamaha mech 250 Sho. Will be interesting to see what all is displays....

Based on this description, I think you are going to have TOTAL digital type access via the Simrad just like Potomacbassn described originally. It looks to be the full NMEA2000 hookup. This type of connection gives a dizzying array of customizable information. :cool:

Frankly, there will probably be a “mood” display to let you know if your motor is having a good day, or just not feeling it that morning. ;)

Back