Radio Memory

Kahlua0517

Reaction score
When I shut the master power switch on the console it shuts off power to the radio (Sony DSXS310BTX) causing it to lose all of the preset memory.  I've looked at the boat wiring schematic and it's clearly wired this way from the factory.  I'm thinking of rewiring it to keep this from happening.  Has anyone else addressed this problem?   

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. And I think it is wired at the dealer not the factory.

You need to connect the yellow wire to 12v constant / unswitched for the memory function.

Make certain you've turned the radio off if you bypass the master power switch...

Ask me how I know <insert my stupid, sad face here from when I went to the boat and found one battery completely dead> LOL

I've learned to shut off the A/B power switch as part of my routine.  AGM batteries are expensive to replace, and draining them down to nothing because I left the power on to my radio for two weeks is not something I want to do again.

There's a 5 amp breaker that feeds the master switch (which feeds the 30 amp relay) on the console.  I'll tap the +12 VDC constant after the breaker and before the switch.

I'm still baffled why someone would design it this way when the memory clearly needs constant power.  I'm guessing that when switching from one battery to the other you would lose the memory too unless there is a few seconds of power backup by a capacitor in the radio.

When the dealer installed our second battery and switch, he wired in the constant 12v for the memory.  There was a delay for us getting to the lake and when we did we had 2 dead batteries.  I unhooked the power.  As we only get 2 fm stations on the water it is not a big deal and the bluetooth plays our phones music for something different. 

I addressed this on ours and uploaded a schematic into my gallery a while back. I believe this may only affect R and Q series (since they are the ones with master helm switches)./gallery/album_794/gallery_6518_794_73791.jpg

I'm still baffled why someone would design it this way when the memory clearly needs constant power. 

I would guess due to the fact that many boats get used infrequently, unlike a car which is driven daily, or at least weekly. The last thing you want is a dead battery at the marina, or worse, out in the middle of the lake. Not as easy or cheap for a jumpstart. Luckily, it's a fairly easy fix though.  

I would guess due to the fact that many boats get used infrequently, unlike a car which is driven daily, or at least weekly. The last thing you want is a dead battery at the marina, or worse, out in the middle of the lake. Not as easy or cheap for a jumpstart. Luckily, it's a fairly easy fix though.  

You might be right but how much current could the memory draw?  We have two batteries so even if it killed one over an extended period we could still get up and running with the other.

I went out and checked, if you turn from one battery to BOTH and then the other the memory stays. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back