Radio upgrade

keithkz

Reaction score
Looking for everyone's opinion as to what radio I should upgrade too.  I only need the actual radio, though.  I have a Rockford Fosgate 400W amp and 4 Rockford Fosgate speakers in my boat.  I also have satellite radio in it.  I'd like the radio to have Bluetooth (I'm betting all of the new ones have it now) to wirelessly stream my mp3 songs from my smartphone.  I probably don't need it to have a CD player in it because any songs I want off of my cd's I just convert them to mp3 and upload to my phone.  My boat is an older 2005 model (see description in my signature block below).

Thanks guys.

I can only tell you about the new boat radios, yes they have bluetooth, aux and usb to stream music from.  We have the default Kicker, what i don't like about them is they don't have satellite on them and they are round so it's not easy to change to a "normal" radio.  I looked into upgrading to the Kicker 20 because it has satellite,  then I saw the price tag!!  I'll live with using the car adapter and the AUX input!!!  Hubby loaded up a USB stick with all of his favorite songs and we hardly use the satellite now!  That's fine, save me $10/month!

I don't pay for the satellite.  It was on the boat already when I bought it in 2011 and it all still works.  :D

I use Pandora or iHeartRadio and play it from my smartphone to the stereo via cable or BT. I usually use the cable to keep my phone fully charged.

I use Pandora or iHeartRadio and play it from my smartphone to the stereo via cable or BT. I usually use the cable to keep my phone fully charged.

Hey Randy, how much data does it take to run Pandora off your phone? I was assuming that it would take a lot as we are on the boat for six to eight hours at a time. 

Hi Michiman,

I don't notice, but then we have a plan where my wife and I share 16,700 MB of data, so we never get close to using half of that in a month's time. I run mine for hours on the boat, the Jeep, the truck, car, while soaking in the hot tub, while sitting on the patio.

To give you an example of my usage this month, and this includes downloading email, sending pics, updating apps, etc., I've used 1711 MB out of 17,000 MB. That should give you some kind of indication that it uses an extreme small amount of data. I hope this helps you.

Another thing that might help you; when I first started using the music streaming apps, I'd check my usage before a long run of listening, then check it after to see how much I actually used during that time. I must have been pretty pleased with it since I'm using it all the time rather than listening to live radio. That might be a good test for you to take as well to give you a sense of the data usage. 

Randy

Hi Michiman,

I don't notice, but then we have a plan where my wife and I share 16,700 MB of data, so we never get close to using half of that in a month's time. I run mine for hours on the boat, the Jeep, the truck, car, while soaking in the hot tub, while sitting on the patio.

To give you an example of my usage this month, and this includes downloading email, sending pics, updating apps, etc., I've used 1711 MB out of 17,000 MB. That should give you some kind of indication that it uses an extreme small amount of data. I hope this helps you.

Another thing that might help you; when I first started using the music streaming apps, I'd check my usage before a long run of listening, then check it after to see how much I actually used during that time. I must have been pretty pleased with it since I'm using it all the time rather than listening to live radio. That might be a good test for you to take as well to give you a sense of the data usage. 

Randy

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to do some digging as far as how much we have per month and how much we use. So far, we've not used Pandora because we just thought it took too much data. I guess we just "assumed" but perhaps it's time to get accurate information. lol

So.....still no recommendations as to what stereo I should upgrade too?

So.....still no recommendations as to what stereo I should upgrade too?

No suggestions on a particular model. However, on another forum I belong to many people suggested skipping the "marine" receivers and just going with a regular car model. The reasoning was that in most boats, the receiver is pretty well protected from the elements to begin with. Just a thought. Personally, I'd go on-line and look at reviews or stop by a local shop and ask them. Many of us probably don't have a lot of options as the receiver is round on the newer builds and might require more than a plug and play set up. 

I believe my Sony is just an auto stereo. The only thing that I believe, makes it marine is the enclosure that houses it, and it's ability to close the front to keep it weather "resistant". It surely isn't weather proof. I'd go with one that sounds good to you, and if you don't put too much money in it, let it last for a few years, and upgrade again if you find one that you like better, or if the technology out dates the one you have.  I just replaced the speakers on my stock system, added an amp and a sub. Sounds like a $1500.00 unit, although I don't know how one of those sound. I can boom with the best of them, when the occasion arises. But when on the sunset cruises, holding wine in one hand and my honey in the other, the music is soft, crisp, and clear as a live symphony.

Sorry that you thread got slightly off course. But that does happen from time to time. 

Here's a link to crutchfield and they have quite a few marine radio's to choose from.  

Marine Radio's

You didn't mention a budget or the options that are a must have (other than bluetooth and sat radio).  We have the low line sony in our boat that doesn't have bluetooth but does have an aux in (not usb port) on the front panel that we connect an mp3 player to on occasion.  It does however work with the credit card sized wireless remote control (sony x-151).

There was a topic about a sony radio that had mega bass that got some good reviews from members you might want to take a look at that HERE

Thanks.  Right now I have a Clarion XMD3.  No idea if it's good or not but my perception is that my speakers and amp (all Rockford Fosgate) are of better quality than the actual stereo is.  I don't want to spend a ton and it definitely needs to be of similar size to the one I have now (traditional).

That link to the Sony MEX-XB100BT looks promising.....found it on EBay for $139.99 free shipping.....definitely in my price range.  Would love to have one of those new ones with the large graphic display on them but many of those are around $400.  Might just have to snag this Sony.  Thanks.

Keith, I installed one of the Sony stereo. Works great with the kicker speakers and i'm sure it would be even better with your amp and speakers. BUT,bright sun does wash the display out. Other than that,I love it for the money. 

That link to the Sony MEX-XB100BT looks promising.....found it on EBay for $139.99 free shipping.....definitely in my price range.  Would love to have one of those new ones with the large graphic display on them but many of those are around $400.  Might just have to snag this Sony.  Thanks.

I bought one. Had to install it quickly and didn't have time to do any old/new comparisons, but it rocks.  Brings the Kickers to life. Friends have commented how much better it sounds. A lot more bass. It's not a subwoofer substitute, but the bass is noticeably stronger. Volume can go much louder before you hear distortion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I jumped in.... just bought the  Sony MEX-XB100BT  and 4 Polk MM651UM speakers.... we shall see.

Be careful... (i.e make sure you're getting what you think you're getting) that sounds like a great deal as they are going for $229 on Amazon. They have a base model for $119 on Amazon --  I didn't look at the differences. Make sure the $139 isn't the base model. add: On Amazon the one for  $119 is the MEXN5100BT model.

Additional add:  I see the Ebay one for $139 (refurbished) but they do have better prices than Amazon.

But will I notice the difference with me already having a 400W amp?  I also have these speakers:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/pm262

Keith, since you appear to be a Rockford fan, I would go with one of their head units.  They have fairly good ratings.  If this one will fit, it would make a nice replacement.  Rockford Fosgate PMX-5  http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575PMX5/Rockford-Fosgate-PMX-5.html

I use Pandora for our boating music.  I have five phones on my plan and stream Pandora daily and do not exceed 4 GB a month.  That said, when streaming at home or at work, I always connect wirelessly.  

If the Rockford head unit does not work, I typically go to Crutchfield and sort based on the head unit style I need and use the user reviews to direct me.  So far that strategy has not failed me.  

I'm having a new head unit installed Monday but it's being custom fitted.  I am a JL Audio fan and am going to try out one of their first marine head units.  Hopefully it will be as nice and reliable as their speakers.  If you love your music, don't hesitate to go the custom route.  For me, it's a pain to get the boat install setup, but in the end I'm always glad I did.

Be careful... (i.e make sure you're getting what you think you're getting) that sounds like a great deal as they are going for $229 on Amazon. They have a base model for $119 on Amazon --  I didn't look at the differences. Make sure the $139 isn't the base model. add: On Amazon the one for  $119 is the MEXN5100BT model.

Additional add:  I see the Ebay one for $139 (refurbished) but they do have better prices than Amazon.

Nope.....the one on EBay for $139.99 free shipping is definitely the MEX-XB100BT HOWEVER it is factory refurbished.  Still....great deal.

Keith, since you appear to be a Rockford fan, I would go with one of their head units.

No I'm not necessarily a Rockford fan...my boat just came with that.  Thanks for the info.

Back