Radio

Sanity3

Reaction score
Need a little help with my radio problem. Hooked up both batteries on my 2014 2375 RCW. Put her in the water and took a little ride, first one of the season. Set back to enjoy the stereo.  Hit power switch nothing happened, no power to the radio. The radio worked at the end of last season now nothing. Hoping for suggestions. 

The main power switch is on, right?  Sorry, had to ask.  Also, is everything else working as it should?

My radio is on it own accessory switch .

Thanks milo851for your suggestion. I checked the batteries and I don't see any wires except the batteries cables and the on board changer. And they all hooked up. Any idea where fuse for the radio would be located?

Do you have the distribution panel ?

Fuse should be in line under the helm 

Check the harness connector at the radio. I found mine had some corrosion in it. I cleaned it best I could, and put dielectric in the connector and worked fine last year. 

ok 2 places for fuse 1 is in line from radio power wire [should be red] under helm. Other is the circit breaker [on dash I think] follow wire to which breaker it goes too flip or push circit breaker to make sure not tripped

Good idea semperfi8387. Thanks

Mine would work one week and not the next. I finally narrowed it down to that connector on back of stereo. Somehow a minimal amount of moisture must have been traveling down the harness wiring and seeping into the connector. If you pop it off and it's whitish inside, that's probably your issue.

I am brand new to this forum, just took delivery of my new Bennington a couple of weeks ago and love it.  I have a Sony radio connected to its own accessory switch, however when I leave after the weekend and turn off the accessory switch, the radio looses all its memory.  Can I leave this switch on, it has a very small light on it, will it effect the battery life?

Thanks very much, from the newbie!

It will affect the battery life.  How much is hard to say.  I doubt the draw is very much.  A few days and you're probably fine.  A few weeks and it might kill the battery.  You might need to experiment a bit and see how much it actually impacts the battery life.

Welcome to the forum. Connect the yellow wire from the radio to a 12v source that isn't switched. The yellow is the memory.

Hey Carl, any idea how much current that memory retention function draws? I always turn my selector switch to "All Off" when we leave the boat, but I could easily run just a small gauge wire direct to that yellow lead. Thanks in advance.

Hey Carl, any idea how much current that memory retention function draws? I always turn my selector switch to "All Off" when we leave the boat, but I could easily run just a small gauge wire direct to that yellow lead. Thanks in advance.

It's in the low milliamp range just to keep memory alive, not much at all.

It's in the low milliamp range just to keep memory alive, not much at all.

I've never had a dead battery. Except for when the battery went bad at 7 years.  :p

I've never had a dead battery. Except for when the battery went bad at 7 years.  :p

Yes, if you use the boat regularly it's low enough drain it should never be an issue.

If someone has long periods (several weeks) when the boat isn't used, it might be best to put a switch on the yellow wire or pull the fuse. Obviously you'd lose the settings, but at least it would not drain the battery! 

Back