Raising the motor

lakeliving

Reaction score
I've come to the realization I need to move my motor up one hole. The AV plate is buried when on plane so I think it's time to make it happen. Question is, what is the best way to do this? Put a block of wood with a groove under the skeg and use a floor jack? Brace the motor and then use the trailer jack to lift the front, lower the back?

Curious who has done this and their method. I'm hoping I get a little extra rpm's and top speed out of it as well.

Block of wood and a floor jack should be fine since you're not trying to remove it.

I had to use a cherry picker to do mine, Not hard to do though. 

Block of wood and a floor jack should be fine since you're not trying to remove it.

The skeg will support the weight? 

I was also thinking of using a 4x4 and lifting from the mounting area directly as well. Thanks for the reassurance. 

I just saw someone post this very same maneuver on Facebook; Boat Owners Unlimited, or something like that. They were jacking it up from the bottom, using the two board system on each side of the lower unit. 

I found it! I'll post the pics. Pics are in the gallery, now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A jack with 4x4 under the skeg works fine as long as the bolts are just loosened. If you're really concerned, bring it down here and you're welcome to use my 1 ton overhead trolley hoist ;-)

A jack with 4x4 under the skeg works fine as long as the bolts are just loosened. If you're really concerned, bring it down here and you're welcome to use my 1 ton overhead trolley hoist ;-)

If he does that he might as well leave with a 2013 2275 RCW Limited ESP, with lots of nice options...

If he does that he might as well leave with a 2013 2275 RCW Limited ESP, with lots of nice options...

I could definitely save him the trouble of raising the motor. I demo'd it last night for a fellow, and it still ran 50.8 with 2 of us big guys aboard  B)

I just loosen my bolts and use a floor jack and a board. Must of done 8-10 time a already playing with the different props. About 15 minutes and you're good to go.

Thanks guys! I'll see if I can find the time this weekend to pull the boat and get it done. 

Out of curiosity, what hole are those with SPS and 200's or 150's running?

I have a 25" shaft motor( yes I just said that!! :)  ) and I run in the 3rd hole from the top, so I raised up to that point. The Yamaha are a 20" shaft normally so you may be a little off of mine. When it's out of the water my plate is just a tick above the bottom of the toon when I have it trimmed at 1/2 on my gauge. Hopefully this helps. 

Here is a pic of mine, looks like top hole.  I believe the plane of the toon bottom and the AV plate are only about an inch off.  The one time I wasn't in the captains chair I went back to view this and I remember the plate was pretty much at the waters surface, under power of course.  I believe that is where it's supposed to be.

/monthly_2016_06/large.576c6cb957d53_20160622_1820052.jpg.f2edcfa1c659d7aca6e79828f8053d62.jpg

My shaft is 25" as well. :D  I was curious if one hole up would be enough. ADK, Do you have any issues with turning hard? I also need to look at how much room I have with our tow/ski bar as we don't have the extended deck. Since we both have the same boat/layout the weight must be distributed differently.

A full speed turn will drift of some speed and full speed and turn to the stop will produce blowouts but I'm usually pretty quick on the trim button. My son (5) and I go out by ourselves do figure 8's all the time..... man that boat can bank a turn and quick! 

Here is a pic of mine, looks like top hole.  I believe the plane of the toon bottom and the AV plate are only about an inch off.  The one time I wasn't in the captains chair I went back to view this and I remember the plate was pretty much at the waters surface, under power of course.  I believe that is where it's supposed to be.

/monthly_2016_06/large.576c6cb957d53_20160622_1820052.jpg.f2edcfa1c659d7aca6e79828f8053d62.jpg

I need to post a pic of mine, to see what you guys think. When I got into the throttle a bit last evening, it seemed to push a good bit water upward. Something just didn't look right, to me. Mine seems to be about like the one pictured, but I still want to post to see what the experts say. 

Where is your av plate when you are on plane or moving along?

Where is your av plate when you are on plane or moving along?

Andy, if you were asking me, I don't know. That gives me another excuse to get it on the water really fast to see. And now, I have a very tall ski bar to hold on to. :D

Back