Raising the motor

Be careful and remember you don't have to do it at full throttle, just once you are on plane.

Hopefully I can still get this done this weekend.

The 200 I had last year was top hole. 

Well I raised it one hole and I did get a little higher top speed. Before my best was 43.8 with the front gate held open, yesterday after putting it back in the water I hit 44 exactly on the gps. It looses it's bite in hard turns so I'll have to see how it is when we get a couple people on it. I had a heck of a time getting the double nuts loose. It was ridiculous.

How did you lift it? 

Since I woke up early, this morning, I started thinking about it. Then I came up with the concern of lifting by jacking on the cavitation or the skeg, but then thought... all of the pressure would be handled much better by just using the mounting plate of the motor.

Why not just use the trailer jack!

Tilt the motor up until it seems to be fairly balanced on the transom, just to keep it from binding from the weight being all the way back/down.

Crank it until the jack is about half way between up and down. 

Stand a 2 x 10 or 2 x 12 (long enough to reach from the ground to the underside the motor mount (where the bolts are that hold it on), loosen remove the (hole bolts), and loosen the (slot bolts) slightly.

Then just jack the trailer up or down depending on whether you wanted to lift or lower the motor.

How does that sound?

Last edited by a moderator:
I lowered my trailer jack all the way down to get the transom closer to 90 degrees of the pavement. I then placed my floor jack with a 4x4 piece of wood under the skeg and slightly loaded it to get the weight on the jack. I also had a piece of wood to keep the jack from rolling. Next I went to town on the bolts and double nuts which was a huge pain in the a$$. Luckily my neighbor stopped by and manned the jack while I gave the motor a little shake to guide it into place. Went super easy once the bolts were loose.

Also, make sure you don't go too high and have the motor hit your tow bar when tilting all the way up. Mine still clears.

I lowered my trailer jack all the way down to get the transom closer to 90 degrees of the pavement. I then placed my floor jack with a 4x4 piece of wood under the skeg and slightly loaded it to get the weight on the jack. I also had a piece of wood to keep the jack from rolling. Next I went to town on the bolts and double nuts which was a huge pain in the a$$. Luckily my neighbor stopped by and manned the jack while I gave the motor a little shake to guide it into place. Went super easy once the bolts were loose.

Also, make sure you don't go too high and have the motor hit your tow bar when tilting all the way up. Mine still clears.

My ski bar seems to be very tall. I don't think I could make mine hit if I wanted to.

My ski bar seems to be very tall. I don't think I could make mine hit if I wanted to.

I see that now looking at your photos. We don't have the extended deck so ours is lower.

. It looses it's bite in hard turns so I'll have to see how it is when we get a couple people on it. 

lakeliving, have you had a chance to try it with more people on board?

Here is the way mine came from the dealership...

Notice the water line on the side of the transom.

large.IMG_5036.JPG.d982ba1b64d3091c126fc1094c58f7c6.JPG

Back