Read Boat Manual(s)

Do you read manuals that came with your new boat?

• Total voters

skeptic

Reaction score
Here’s a short story and poll for you all. My family and friends constantly tease me (actually it’s a running joke on me) because I’m the type of guy who reads the manuals whenever I buy something new. I mean I’m not overzealous about this (IMO), I just want to know what I’m doing if I’m not familiar with something, especially if it costs a good bit of money. For example, I bought a new smart phone and I read the manual. I know how it works, the options it has and how navigate my way around because I read the manual. Of course I got my new boat and guess what? Yes, I read the manuals. I even watched the DVD that came with it and took a boating course online. I’m not brand new to boating but I am a first time boat owner. My family and friends even went so far as to call me, Captain Man-u-al. That’s just so wrong! I believe I’m being smart and responsible by reading the information that accompanies new products. How many of you actually read your manuals when you got your first boat? Thanks for reading and answering the poll.

Yes, I read the manuals for just about everything i buy. As are a couple of others here, i am an auto mechanic, 25 yrs now. You can't fix something if you don't know how it works, so understanding that is sort of second nature. Many people read novels in their spare time, not me, i'm like Scotty, read the technical data!

I read everything also - always seemed like the smart thing to do. Just wish I had better retention of the stuff I do read :eek: But I keep all the reading material handy, in this case in the green Bennington pouch that came with the boat in my boat toolbox.

Just voted. The green bag is laying in the floor at my feet. Have skimmed all the material. Now, if the wind dont lay(it was terrible today), I will go through it again tomorrow evening. If the wind lays, I have a new boat needing to get wet!

Back