Really..........$2,400.00?!

Reaction score
I currently own a 2016 22SLX. After receiving great trade-in and new purchase prices from my dealer, I am in the process of deciding whether to follow thru and order a 2019 22SSRCX. Since this will be my 3rd Bennington in 12 years, I have a much better idea regarding exactly how to customize it.

As part of my possible new boat order, I asked my dealer about ordering a second mooring cover since I intend to keep this boat for awhile. (It stays on a hoist in the water under a hot sun for almost six months at a time and previous factory covers have only lasted 6 to 7 years).

You can de-select ordering a mooring cover and the result is a $477.00 credit. Thinking the 2nd mooring cover would therefore cost around $477.00, I asked my dealer to get me the exact price. So glad I did..........an unbelievable $2,400.00!!!!!

Very happy with Bennington regarding the quality of their boats but not very happy at all regarding this mooring cover cost.

It would be interesting to see how this cost differential is determined by the bean counters - no offense to bean counters as my wife is one. It keeps us on the financial straight and narrow. :rolleyes: I think I would have went into it thinking what you were. Glad you got the quote on it before committing to it. A 2k difference sure is significant for something like that.

On an unrelated note, assuming your user name is based on location, where in Northern Michigan are you located? Lots of us state of Michigan people around these forums. We live in mid-Michigan, but boat at our cottage on Houghton Lake.

I agree it seems absurd but I think this is a common practice where the credit is less than the purchase price in many industries where you can custom order the product with numerous options.

Wow!

Nothing unusual. You are comparing apple to oranges. Somewhere in the cost of the complete boat is some of the cost of the mooring cover. When you delete it, you aren't likely saving the whole cost.

You can have another cover made using your OEM cover as a pattern.

There are a lot of hidden costs to these kinds of requests. The price reflects the fact that out-of-the-box requests are extra work.

I would never pay $2400 for an extra cover. My local canvas shop (a very talented one lady operation) did this one for my old boat for $850. It is made out of Sunbrella and she did a great job. Every snap lines up and it even has an extra flap of material covering the snaps on the sides so the rain doesn't leave black streaks on the playpen (my idea -- but I stole it from another brand boat).

IMG_3913.JPG

New development..........after recovering from my dealers $2,400 quote for a 2nd mooring cover with my new pontoon boat order, I emailed Bennington from their website ("Contact Us").

Received a phone call within 24 hours from Bennington Corporate Offices. The first thing they said was that $2,400.00 was a "ridiculous price" and entirely wrong. They immediately offered to ship the extra mooring cover with my new pontoon boat order for $1,100.00. They then called my dealer (the sales manager I was dealing with) explaining the new cost and guiding him thru the ordering process.

This will be my 3rd Bennington pontoon boat. I like their quality product. Clearly they also have quality customer service.

Back