Really good BBQ grill for your Bennington?

Thanks for the pics... nice job on the setup. I may copy it!

The only gotcha... if you use the aluminum foil drip pan insert use a small piece of tape (double sided or wrapped back on itself) on the bottom of the foil tray or it may/will blow out while underway.

I have a bar/counter and dinette on my Benny so I use the Camp Chef Everest Stove and Lodge Cast Iron Griddle/Grill combination. I used to use a Coleman Grill but the Everest is far superior in every way. It can keep things warm but also get hot enough to boil water and even sear a steak. It cleans up easy so you can just pop it in the carry bag when it's time to go.

I have a bar/counter and dinette on my Benny so I use the Camp Chef Everest Stove and Lodge Cast Iron Griddle/Grill combination. I used to use a Coleman Grill but the Everest is far superior in every way. It can keep things warm but also get hot enough to boil water and even sear a steak. It cleans up easy so you can just pop it in the carry bag when it's time to go.
Never thought of a stove!

With delivery expected in middle January we are now focused on the “stuff” needed for our Bennington.

I’m looking for a great BBQ grill for those dinner cuises that I envision happening! What are you using? How/where do you attach or use a grill????

Thanks

I had the Kuuma 216 Elite BBQ installed by my dealer here in Canada. We take delivery this coming May 2018. So looking forward to cooking on it... :)

"the white board is a 1/2" 15"x20" plastic cutting board. I had to add 2 strips of aluminum angle iron (front and back) as the cutting board wasn't quite supportive enough. I have 4 small ss bolts that go through the angle iron/cutting board/grill leg to secure it. If anyone is interested I could also take a pic of the bottom so you can see the results."

Royal4... With your experience with the 1/2" cutting board, do you think a 1" cutting board would be strong enough?

If I was going to do it again I would use 1". I don't know if it would be strong enough. The 1/2" was ok but a little flexible and I was worried about the flexing while underway so I reinforced it. I would go to a local store and check out how strong 1" feels. I ordered mine online before checking them out locally to test strength. add: another possibility would be to use wood with a few coats of marine polyurethane.

Thanks... not sure where to find a 1" cutting board to actually look at, but a 1" costs roughly the same as 1/2" on Amazon. I think I'll go with it and hope it doesn't need reinforcement. I'll let you know how it works.

Last edited:
I was at the same dilemma, I was going to take delivery of our new Benny last week but we did not ( long story why ) and will now have to wait until we get back to Fl in sept or oct, we are getting same boat as yours 22" cruse fisher and was thinking of using the Q1200 and a large grill mat and just putting it up on top of the rear live well/pole holder, that is a large flat area where it looks like it will sit fine once at the sandbar, when done put it away. The mat will keep all splatter off boat and I did not want to put anything attached to the boat so going to try that when we get our new boat in 6 mo.

Chuck 21SLX, I too am going to order the 1" thick board from Amazon. I would have to think that it would be stiff enough to hold the grill.

Add: the hardest part was cutting down the table leg. The bottom part is riveted on so I had to drill out the rivet, a pain. I then cut the leg down and replaced the rivet with a stainless steel screw,washer,lock washer,nut.

Here ya go... just realized while taking the pics the ss bolts through the cutting board/grill feet DO NOT go through the angle iron like I thought. Here is the bottom and one of the grill feet. add: While underway I just use a bungee cord wrapped around front to back to keep it closed.

View attachment 21494 View attachment 21496

Royal4... I have my grill and my cutting board. The 1" board certainly seems substantial enough that it won't need braces underneath. I do have a concern, though. The feet on my Q1200 are plastic. I'm concerned that they won't hold up under the vibration of traveling. Are the feet on your grill plastic or metal? If yours are plastic, do you leave your grill mounted all the time?

I have the grill mounted almost all the time during the summer. With the table leg cut down the top of the grill is only ~6" or less above the top of the seats when closed so no air flow problems. I take the grill off if I'm not going to be on the boat for a couple weeks or during the winter. I secure the top with a bungee so it'll stay closed while underway. Yes, it has plastic legs and seems solid with the screw/bolt on each leg. I've never noticed any movement while underway even WOT just some rattles from the grill grates once in a while.

add: For each leg I used stainless and from the bottom it's screw, washer, cutting board, grill leg, locking nut. The grill leg plastic is almost 3/16" thick on mine so it's pretty stable.

Last edited:
I think I'm ready to do it! All I need to do is decide on the height of the table leg... oh yeah, I have to get the boat! :) It was scheduled for early April!

I'll tell you the height of my table leg maybe in a week or so... I leave the leg on the boat all the time and cover the top with a little storage bag/string or rubber band to keep water from going into it. Probably don't have to but that's just me.

add: One other tip --- DO NOT bolt everything together until you are sure how it all fits together tightly. It's a little bit of a ballet to make sure the table leg is screwed tightly into the base along with the grill on top to make sure it's all facing the correct way when it's all tight. I think I may have put the screws into the deck last (or maybe just 2 screws until I was sure) but can't really remember. i.e. with the grill on top you get a little more leverage screwing in the table leg than by hand which could face the whole thing the wrong way.

add: measured the table leg today... 18.25" (top of base to top of leg) total from floor approx 19"

Last edited:
All good information as this project is on my list also!!!

Thanks for all the great detailed info Royal4! I'm positive you've improved my end product and I haven't even started yet! For example, I would never have thought how the order of assembly affected the direction the grill would face. That would be an easy mistake to make.

I'll tell you the height of my table leg maybe in a week or so... I leave the leg on the boat all the time and cover the top with a little storage bag/string or rubber band to keep water from going into it. Probably don't have to but that's just me.

add: One other tip --- DO NOT bolt everything together until you are sure how it all fits together tightly. It's a little bit of a ballet to make sure the table leg is screwed tightly into the base along with the grill on top to make sure it's all facing the correct way when it's all tight. I think I may have put the screws into the deck last (or maybe just 2 screws until I was sure) but can't really remember. i.e. with the grill on top you get a little more leverage screwing in the table leg than by hand which could face the whole thing the wrong way.

add: measured the table leg today... 18.25" (top of base to top of leg) total from floor approx 19"
Here it is, Royal... Look familiar? I used the 1" cutting board and it's very solid. Thanks very, very much for all the details. Couldn't have done it without you!!DSC_0002.JPG

Back