Really good BBQ grill for your Bennington?

dannyleininger

Reaction score
With delivery expected in middle January we are now focused on the “stuff” needed for our Bennington.

I’m looking for a great BBQ grill for those dinner cuises that I envision happening! What are you using? How/where do you attach or use a grill????

Thanks

I had thought about mounting one on the previous Benny, but quickly decided that I didn't want to risk splatter and any other kind of mistake to happen while on the boat. I have a couple of portable grills (smaller Weber kettle) that we take with us, find a sand bar, and use it there. I haven't even thought about putting one of the new Benny. Not happening; at least until it's 8 - 10 years old.

Hi Dan, great question in my opinion! I can see the excitement is building. We have the mid-ship bar so I have plenty of counter space. As such, we purchased a Magma freestanding grill and over two years it has worked great, even on some pretty windy days. Yes, you can have some grease splatter but we purchased a large silicone mat to put under the grill which has kept the boat clean. We enjoy grilling hamburgs, brat, chicken, etc. on our boat because we do not live on the lake. Obviously, with grilling comes risk of a mishap, but also great reward.

I don't like to grill "on" the boat so I use a portable grill. The two best compact models I have found are the Weber Q series and the "O grill 500". Each use propane cylinders and can easily be set up on the beach, on a portable table, or on the bow or stern floor. You can easily store a plastic or rubber grill mat or outdoor rug to protect underneath the grill.

What model Magma is this?
We purchased the "Cabo" model, which is a no-frills gas grill. You have to light it by match and it has no front shelf. However, in two seasons neither has been a problem for us. We also got the padded grill case to keep everything in (grill, propane tanks, grilling tools, matches, etc.).

We have the Magma Kettle grill - works great. I have the mount that extends over the edge of the railing. Have not had any problems - also have the shore stand so you can use the grill off the boat.

Had that same grill as michiman on my 20' I put on a pedestal on the far front of the deck, was pretty good except for some splatter and dripping from the grill that I had to clean up off the deck. I will more than likely get that same grill for our new 22' SSX and get a Grill Matt and use it with the little legs on the back where the motor cover/ live well is at.

A9186EE5-DC1C-47CC-A423-525B02516FC2.jpeg BA353331-652F-494E-8063-7BF1244764F4.jpeg I’m using the Magma marine grill.
With delivery expected in middle January we are now focused on the “stuff” needed for our Bennington.

I’m looking for a great BBQ grill for those dinner cuises that I envision happening! What are you using? How/where do you attach or use a grill????

Thanks

I have a WeberQ small gas grill, want to use on my new Benny. Does anyone know of a platform that would hold the grill over the side so drips go in the water? something that would mount on the railing. I have not looked for myself yet, just thought someone may have suggestions.

Thanks!
Jim

I mounted mine on rear deck..leave it mounted all season. Very little splatter on ski bar/motor cover but easily cleaned up.grill1.jpggrill3.jpg grill2.jpg grill4.jpg grill5.jpg

Where did you get this table? Looks like you had to drill a hole in the floor for the socket? I have the mobile cart for it but it's fairly flimsy, is the grill anchored to the table? Nice installation!

It was a fun project and some work but worth it.
The floor mount is a flush mount with a screw in table leg so no hole cut in floor. I did cut down the table leg as it was too high stock. I didn't want it sticking up much above the seats for looks and also didn't want full force winds hitting it while underway.

this is from a previous thread on here.

"the white board is a 1/2" 15"x20" plastic cutting board. I had to add 2 strips of aluminum angle iron (front and back) as the cutting board wasn't quite supportive enough. I have 4 small ss bolts that go through the angle iron/cutting board/grill leg to secure it. If anyone is interested I could also take a pic of the bottom so you can see the results."

add: this is what I used for the mount... I think I found it at walmart for $83?? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Magma-T1...75035&wl11=online&wl12=40618797&wl13=&veh=sem

Last edited:
I have used the Weber Q for years. It’s a great grill. I carry one in my motorhome. However my dear wife has informed me that the “Q” will not become a fixture on our Benny. (go figure?) Then a friend gave me three pieces for the Magnum 9x18 grill. So it looks like fate has dealt me a new hand. Magnum here I come!

"the white board is a 1/2" 15"x20" plastic cutting board. I had to add 2 strips of aluminum angle iron (front and back) as the cutting board wasn't quite supportive enough. I have 4 small ss bolts that go through the angle iron/cutting board/grill leg to secure it. If anyone is interested I could also take a pic of the bottom so you can see the results."

I like this set up very much! I would like to see a pic of the bottom.

I like this set up very much! I would like to see a pic of the bottom.

Here ya go... just realized while taking the pics the ss bolts through the cutting board/grill feet DO NOT go through the angle iron like I thought. Here is the bottom and one of the grill feet. add: While underway I just use a bungee cord wrapped around front to back to keep it closed.

grillbottom1.jpg grillbottom3.jpg

Last edited:
Back