Rear Camara instead of a mirror?

RowdyGator

Reaction score
Anyone have any information they would share on how they installed a rear view wireless camera instead of a using mirror? I have looked at several waterproof backup cameras for vehicles as an option unless there is a better product available? Appreciate any info you would share.

I am a big fan of a good mirror. It just works and as long as it is on the boat will continue to work.
But all so I understand if you may just want a camera and if so I would recommend a wired unit. We tried wireless on some work trucks and the response was way to slow.

Put 1 on the front as a docking camera??

Hey guys...great topic here.
As we just purchased our first Bennington pontoon, we were thinking of where we could incorporate a good rearview mirror. We had one on our previous jet boat but it mounted on the windshield...which of course does not exist anymore.
I work for a tech company and am always looking for custom ways to solve problems or integrate new ideas into things that we own.

After really investigating what is out there on the market, what would install without tons of wiring, what would look good, and of course what would perform so there is no lag with video streaming....I found this product!

HaloView Wireless Camera Kit

This solution was amazing to me. I could hardwire the power for the 7" screen (which matched the size of the Simrad screen) and literally just stick the cameras onto the nice adhesive metal plate they provide with no additional wiring.
Also, I love the idea that I could purchase a separate camera for the front of the boat as well as the back!!
Since the system can handle up to 4 cameras, I could also see the 2 feeds at the same time if I would like.

I have tested the kit inside my house and on my car already and the video is flawless! At 60 mph in my car, the streaming view was smooth as can be. I plan to mount the front camera to the front gate door for a perfect view of the bow for docking and the rear one will be slightly more tricky as we ordered a FastBack with the vinyl rear, so mounting location is tuff.
Looks like I plan to mount it to the top rear ridge where the exterior cupholders are.

I have yet to do the final installation as we do not have our boat just yet, but will have it soon.
I definitely will post an update on the final installation. Hope this gets some ideas going for the Benny owners!

Last edited:
Interesting in your opinion after all up and running

Hey guys...great topic here.
As we just purchased our first Bennington pontoon, we were thinking of where we could incorporate a good rearview mirror. We had one on our previous jet boat but it mounted on the windshield...which of course does not exist anymore.
I work for a tech company and am always looking for custom ways to solve problems or integrate new ideas into things that we own.

After really investigating what is out there on the market, what would install without tons of wiring, what would look good, and of course what would perform so there is no lag with video streaming....I found this product!

HaloView Wireless Camera Kit

This solution was amazing to me. I could hardwire the power for the 7" screen (which matched the size of the Simrad screen) and literally just stick the cameras onto the nice adhesive metal plate they provide with no additional wiring.
Also, I love the idea that I could purchase a separate camera for the front of the boat as well as the back!!
Since the system can handle up to 4 cameras, I could also see the 2 feeds at the same time if I would like.

I have tested the kit inside my house and on my car already and the video is flawless! At 60 mph in my car, the streaming view was smooth as can be. I plan to mount the front camera to the front gate door for a perfect view of the bow for docking and the rear one will be slightly more tricky as we ordered a FastBack with the vinyl rear, so mounting location is tuff.
Looks like I plan to mount it to the top rear ridge where the exterior cupholders are.

I have yet to do the final installation as we do not have our boat just yet, but will have it soon.
I definitely will post an update on the final installation. Hope this gets some ideas going for the Benny owners!
Check out the high quality pontoon boat mirrors at ptmwatersports.com. I had our 1st mirror on our Bennington for 12 years. Received an upgraded new style larger panoramic mirror this past season. Very well made and durable!!!IMG_20210712_112556130.jpgIMG_20210712_112533059.jpg

Bennyboat - I am also interested in hearing about the install. We too have a LXFB, so the mounting will be informative)

@6kidsurf - Thanks for your reply and interest.
I have confirmed with our dealer that our boat has been delivered and we will be able to see it inside next Friday the 7th. During this time I will be able to do more of the final mockup of the setup I have designed. In the meantime, I did come up with a solution for the rear camera location!

I never really wanted to apply the adhesive metal plate (Needed to magnetically mount the camera) to the exposed vinyl on the rear of the boat but thought that it may be the best way to get the correct location and camera angle. Then it occurred to me that I could leverage the locations of the existing created rear cupholders as a mounting point. I found that the small wireless cameras fit perfectly inside the mechanical phone holders they make for cars.

After some good Amazon investigating for look and functionality, I found this to be my solution.
Wix Gear Cupholder Phone Mount

This solution should work really well as it will allow the camera location to be rotated/moved if needed, and will still be at a higher point on the rear end of the boat. It should also sit pretty flush just above the rear cupholder shelf so it will look clean.
Also, still will have 3 holders available when we are in the water so that is more than enough.

I will keep you guys posted when I get the screens mocked up next week.
Wishing you and your families a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Attachments

• Rear Camera Mount Location.jpg
    Rear Camera Mount Location.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_E6142.JPG
    IMG_E6142.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_E6143.JPG
    IMG_E6143.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_E6144.JPG
    IMG_E6144.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_E6145.JPG
    IMG_E6145.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
That’s a great idea for mounting it, and having such flexibility with it. Thanks for passing along to others in the forum. I look forward to hearing about how it works out for you.

I really like the idea.
One question...Is a camera a legal substitute for a mirror?

I really like the idea.
One question...Is a camera a legal substitute for a mirror?
Great question? Maybe the answer varies by state?

That said, hard to imagine getting in trouble with a DNR officer if you showed them the camera set up and how you are using it for the same purpose.

Great question? Maybe the answer varies by state?

That said, hard to imagine getting in trouble with a DNR officer if you showed them the camera set up and how you are using it for the same purpose.
@Bill N...Thanks for the interest. If done correctly I thought this idea could be a nice add-on for many of us.
I would not think this would be an issue at all. There is no law that states that I need to have a rearview mirror on a boat, unlike automobiles. Also, this is becoming more commonplace as in our Cadillac Escalade our rearview mirror can be a full digital feed from a separate rear camera. We actually use this almost all the time.

@Bill NThere is no law that states that I need to have a rearview mirror on a boat, unlike automobiles.

That is actually incorrect. I will speak for SD, you must have a rearview mirror when pulling anyone (skiing, tubing, kneeboarding, surfing etc) unless there is a spotter on the vessel.

That is actually incorrect. I will speak for SD, you must have a rearview mirror when pulling anyone (skiing, tubing, kneeboarding, surfing etc) unless there is a spotter on the vessel.
Bill...good point, and well taken. I would not be sure then. I believe up by us you just need to have a spotter rather than a mirror. I would never just trust my mirror anyway while having someone pulled behind the boat

A buddy of mine has a fully-pimped-out SouthBay with a 12-inch touchscreen in the center console, with a rear camera that works like a mirror for towing that shows up in the driver's display. Pretty crazy design - the whole boat looks more like "fast and the furious" than our stately Bennies - but neat tech.

A buddy of mine has a fully-pimped-out SouthBay with a 12-inch touchscreen in the center console, with a rear camera that works like a mirror for towing that shows up in the driver's display. Pretty crazy design - the whole boat looks more like "fast and the furious" than our stately Bennies - but neat tech.
Vey cool. That is basically what I am shooting for here. A modern take on the rear view mirror with the addition of one for the front as well!

Hey guys...just sending over a quick update.
Unfortunately due to my dealer's private boat show they are running in the upcoming week, my family and I were still not able to get a good look at our boat....its still outside wrapped with snow. But I did fly by just to see it outside.
While there, I did a quick mock-up of the rearview camera mount on another FastBack on the floor and it turned out perfectly!
Even with the engine up all the way in the air, the viewing angle was quite clear.
Once I start working on the screen mounts for the monitor and iPad (I use for Nav) I will hopefully share some successful pics.
Take Care!

Attachments

• IMG_6169.jpg
    IMG_6169.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6170.jpg
    IMG_6170.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6171.jpg
    IMG_6171.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 37
I am loving the idea. To make it more useful for me, it would be a camera that is wireless like this, that would work with a iPad, and is waterproof, so I could take pics in and under water. Then when not doing that it’s my rear view mirror. Anyone have a good solution? I don’t think GoPros will connect to iPads, but to be honest, I haven’t looked into it.

Back