Rear sun deck wood rot

Reaction score
I have a 2006 2275RL and the rear sundeck that opens to put up the privacy curtain is rotten where the outer hinge screws on. The screws have pulled out and the wood is to soft to even put bigger screws. Anyone have any thoughts on this? It has always been covered!

Are you he original owner? Did you contact your dealer? We (I) can't answer if that would be considered falling under Bennington "structural" lifetime warranty. Only your dealer should be able to answer that.

Start there as it may be covered. If not, check back and we will all help you spend some money!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The paperwork that came with '06 Benningtons refers to a "Wood Component Warranty" that states, "BM will, at it's discretion, repair or replace any wooden deck or wood component which fails as a result of defects in material and or workmanship free of charge for materials and labor to the original owner/retail purchaser only. Transferability- the structural, wooden deck and wood component warranty is transferable within ten (10) years of the original purchase date of the boat. Once transferred, coverage extends for a maximum of ten (10) years from date of original purchase. Completion of transfer form is required through a Bennington Marine dealer."

So, if you're the original owner you should be covered. If you bought the boat used, did you transfer the warranty?

I contacted my dealer and he said that "Jay" up there said that part was only warrantied for 5 years. The waranty should be 10 according to the info I have seen on this forum. I need more help. If they would send me the panel. i will get it changed over. I dont see how they can change the warranty like that. I guess I have learned a lesson.

I just looked at our paperwork for our 2007 and it should be 10 years.

Can anyone give me a number and name of someone to call at Bennington who I can discus this matter with?

Thanks
Go back to the dealer with the info from Maynard G. Krebs (above). Ask the dealer to call Jay (or anyone in Customer Service), put him on speaker phone and have a 3 way conversation.

Are you dealing with the dealer who sold you the boat? That should help, too.

Yes, selling dealer
Then here you go.....

The paperwork that came with '06 Benningtons refers to a "Wood Component Warranty" that states, "BM will, at it's discretion, repair or replace any wooden deck or wood component which fails as a result of defects in material and or workmanship free of charge for materials and labor to the original owner/retail purchaser only. Transferability- the structural, wooden deck and wood component warranty is transferable within ten (10) years of the original purchase date of the boat. Once transferred, coverage extends for a maximum of ten (10) years from date of original purchase. Completion of transfer form is required through a Bennington Marine dealer."

Actually, I don't know where that warranty was found by Maynard, as the online 2006 brochure states 5 years (Lifetime on the DECK wood) and I DID confirm this with a contact at Bennington. 5 Years on other items. Maybe they supplied a paper copy different from catalog.

Bear in mind, warranties can change from year to year. We just saw it with the 7 year "Club" option.

Could you post up some photos of your sundeck both above and underside?

I would like to see photos to see what or where moisture could have gotten in there to rot the wood, especially if it was always covered as stated.

It is at my vacation home right now, it may be 2 to 3 weeks before I go back down there and bring it back for winter storage. I will take some pics at that time. Thanks for everyone imput on this matter.

I noticed that goldnrod info is from the booklet that came with the boat and appears different than the brochure. I dont which one they would use. Im sure they dont want to cover this repair. I will take a new panel if that is all they will give me!

I have to replace the door on the changingroom due to something nibbling at it. I'm waiting for it to come in to the dealer from Benningtons supplier and it was $96.00 with shipping.

You can order any part on the boat from the dealer but mine was't rotted, and I would be trying to get a friebe (read warranty).

Actually, I don't know where that warranty was found by Maynard, as the online 2006 brochure states 5 years (Lifetime on the DECK wood) and I DID confirm this with a contact at Bennington. 5 Years on other items. Maybe they supplied a paper copy different from catalog.

What I posted was a word-for-word quote from the Limited Product Warranty supplied with the owner's manual that came with my '06. If Bennington is going to go to the trouble of providing a nice three ring binder with 40 pages of information with my boat I would expect them to honor the information contained therein.

I can scan and send a copy of the warranty to the OP if the dealer doesn't step up, but contacting Bennington directly should do the trick.

Clanton, did you get this resolved? I just bought an 06 2275gl from a friend and found the exact same problem. He is the original owner so I can transfer the warranty if I need too. Was it covered under warranty?

Back