Reasonable price to ship? Also, question for you Michiganites.

Renegade34

Reaction score
I purchased a 23' Benny in the Lansing Michigan area and want it shipped to Minneapolis (700 miles) in the spring. I just put it on uship and so far have received a quote for $900. Does this sound reasonable or should I keep looking?
Also, the dealer wants to test run it and try a few different props before I take possession in the spring. When do the lakes typically open up around there? I was hoping to have it ready for May 6th. What do you guys think? I'm from Canada so the prices and spring break up aren't the same as you southerners.

Prolly the soonest a boat could get wet would be in the Grand River and that could be as early as April. We have a place in Northern Michigan and I got my boat wet the first week of April in 2017.

I see no issues with a May 6th readiness unless Mother Nature turns into a real freak this winter.

Congrats on the Bennington!! Welcome to the club! $900 isn’t bad, quality of the shipper would be the main concern, hate to see it show up with log damage or panel damage by being haul by someone with no boat experience. Remember that boat is as wide as the trailer it’s being hauled on.
Best of luck!
Happy Holidays!

Thanks for the replies! He seems like a quality guy. He has over 160 transactions and almost perfect feedback. He also specializes in boat deliveries. I counter offered at $700 and he said he'll let me know on Monday. I plan on having the dealer take a bunch of pictures before it leaves his yard just in case it shows up with any damage. I thought the price didn't seem too bad considering that if I pick it up it's 1400 miles (round trip) from Minneapolis. Even getting to Minneapolis is a 12 hour trip one way for me so that would save me a lot of driving.

I'd agree that the dealer should be able to get her in the water in early April. Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the "club". Details and pictures when available, please!

Congratulations on the new boat. The shipping price doesn’t seem bad to me if they are as good as advertised. If he also knocks a little off on your counter offer, I’d be okay with that given the distance.

I literally live in the Lansing area. I would think they’d be fine testing some props and making sure it is running good in April. They would have a few options in regards to where to do it: Grand River, Lake Lansing, etc...

Living in this area, I am curious who you are buying it from, and looking forward to seeing pics once you post them.

Back