Reception and Weather

KC24

Reaction score
I have 2 questions may have asked before.

First question is has anyone found a way to get better reception on the lake with there phone(low cost repeater?). Reason being i could spend more days on the lake if I had better reception.

Second question, what systems are available for up to date weather when on the lake with bad reception. Weather bug is very spotty when you dont have a good signal. I had a pop up storm sneak up on me last year and just made it to safety.

I have said this before and hope those who saw it tolerate it once again

Ham Radio is the key 

Inexpensive a no code license and worry free enjoyment and convenience

For me there is no reason why every boat owner , rv , camper, hiker shouldn't have one 

%24_35.JPG
             47.19 USD w/ Free Shipping 

136 - 174 mhz

400 - 520 mhz 

Technician Class License is FREE w/ small exam 

Icom IC-2730A

Price: $279.95

Product ID : ICOIC2730A

Manufacturer: Icom

Alinco DR-B185HT

Price: $169.95

Product ID : ALIDRB185HT

Manufacturer: Alinco

Perfect for weather and communications

Item Description85W 2M FM Mobile Transceiver

Detailed Description85 Watts Output!!

TX: 144-148
RX: 136-174
Power: 85W/5W
CTCSSS/DCS encode and decode
7 digit Alphanumeric display
Front Fire Speaker

dim: 6.44 x 1.73 x 7.21

Please note though I am a Ham Radio Operator , I do not sell anything concerning my hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had spotty reception/coverage at home with Verizon and did a lot of research before I upgraded my phone and found Motorola phones were said to have better antennas. I got a Motorola phone and now have no problems at all at home.  Just a possibility but maybe it's the phone or carrier?

I'm a Ham radio operator as well.  2m/440 FM (which is what those radios are) would be fine if within repeater range on the water.  In simplex mode (which is like a walkie talkie for those not familiar) the range would only be a few miles depending on elevation and obstructions.

Ok, so now I am confused. Ham radio a possible answer or not? Range better than phone? Good on a boat or not? Skill level needed? Sorry to sound dumb, but with Ham radios, I am.

I am not reading his question as he wants to communicate with other boaters.  Sounds like he has a reason he needs to be in touch with people not on the lake, like job, on call or something.  The radios won't do him any good.  If you go to amazon they sell a gadget that you put your phone into and makes it get a stronger signal, only works for the one phone it is attached to.

Tooner,

It is not a problem we are always willing to answer questions

If you are in Florida on the inner coastal waterways or along the shoreline

There are numerous repeaters which will  take your signal and transmit it at no cost over 50 miles

The receive is the same you will receive transmissions from the repeaters from over 50 miles with ease

Some repeaters are linked and can be useful for hundreds even thousands of miles

Skill level for the technician class license is very elementary 

Most clubs provide classes for license at no charge and taking a test for license is free

FM Communications is reliable and static free for the most part 

You will be able to hear NWS (national weather service ) on this gear as well

Many repeaters have nets and people who monitor for emergency communications

Equipment is very inexpensive compared to smart phones 

The advantage is that you are sending a transmission that can be heard by a multitude instead of a single person

Many boaters in your area may be Hams already 

I am a major advocate of Ham Radio 

ARRL%20logo%20type_17_13.jpg

Second question, what systems are available for up to date weather when on the lake with bad reception. Weather bug is very spotty when you dont have a good signal. I had a pop up storm sneak up on me last year and just made it to safety.

Talk to some Hams in your area 

With hurricanes and tornadoes being common in your area

There are many activities used for public safety including 

skywarn_noaa_trained.jpg

ares-cl-lrg.jpg

If you can tell me your general geographic location in Florida I can give you club numbers in your area :)

I have been a ham for over 20 years 

It is the best form of communication in my opinion 

As Scott1 is saying 

If you are wanting calls from family , work etc not for you 

If you need good storm information, emergency communication or looking for other boaters, or ham ops to communicate with for information or pleasure then ham radio is the way to go.

One more thing Ham Radio does allow you to make calls via your radio through a repeaters phone patch system at no charge, but you cannot receive phone calls through ham radio.

Ham it up on the water Equip your boat for amateur radio

It’s hardly surprising that many boaters are hams and many hams are boaters—both activities attract those interested in expanding their skills and overcoming challenges.

Starting gradually: the handheld station

Equipping a boat for ham radio need not involve major effort or expenditure. With your amateur VHF handheld transceiver, you can check in with the local repeater group or keep in touch with other ham boaters. Ham channels will likely be less crowded than marine ship-to-ship channels—a real plus.

Most of today’s VHF handhelds can monitor marine channels and NOAA weather alerts.

Just food for thought 

100129834.jpg

There are many who monitor a multitude of frequencies 24/7

With Ham Radio you are always in communication with others.

Thanks for the input everyone ,I am looking specifically  for a way toe receive better reception from cell phone/tablet . I am a small business owner and need to receive PDF files and communicate. I boat mostly on Dale Hollow and the reception is weak. 

As for the weather I was looking for something satellite driven like our GPS is?

Another option too.  Any of the VHF marine radios (and 2m Ham radios) also receive the NOAA weather broadcasts.  The broadcasts are pretty easy to receive in most areas of the US.  Don't need a license for a VHF marine radio and you wouldn't need a license to just listen on a Ham radio.

I have radios but seeing the radar gives you direction and if its a concern in your area, or that you could move out of its path. 

Im going to West Marine tomorrow I will see what they have or recommenced.

I also boat on Dale Hollow out of Mitchell Creek marina. I use US cellular and it is much better on Dale Hollow than any of the other carriers. Unless I am in a narrow cove where the steep hills are very high on each side I am able to make and receive calls. I am also able to use my tablet that is also on US cellular. I have had people on the boat with the other providers and seen the difference. US cellular bought out  Elique that was a small local company in the Overton county/Dale Hollow area. They added the tower to their network. They just have a lot more towers in the area. Booster still rely on towers to be within reach to help any. We mainly stay on the lake from the Lilly dale area to the dam and have no issue. I have been all the way past Sunset and up into Kentucky and still have no issues. You still have to stay out of the tight coves to get a signal. Some phones do better than others. The Samsung Galaxy seems to pickup better than the IPhones. These are the only two we have used.

I also boat on Dale Hollow out of Mitchell Creek marina. I use US cellular and it is much better on Dale Hollow than any of the other carriers. Unless I am in a narrow cove where the steep hills are very high on each side I am able to make and receive calls. I am also able to use my tablet that is also on US cellular. I have had people on the boat with the other providers and seen the difference. US cellular bought out  Elique that was a small local company in the Overton county/Dale Hollow area. They added the tower to their network. They just have a lot more towers in the area. Booster still rely on towers to be within reach to help any. We mainly stay on the lake from the Lilly dale area to the dam and have no issue. I have been all the way past Sunset and up into Kentucky and still have no issues. You still have to stay out of the tight coves to get a signal. Some phones do better than others. The Samsung Galaxy seems to pickup better than the IPhones. These are the only two we have used.
Thanks CTays , I believe I parked by your boat last year we stayed in one of the cabins. I have Verizon and it comes and goes, I will check in with US Celluar. Thanks again for the info.

We moved over to N17 by the dock store. If you are down and see me there come over. You may want to find someone with US or see if US might have a loaner phone they will let you try and see how the signal does for you. I have heard that their prepaid plan is on a different set of towers and does not pickup as well. I have the Nationwide plan and it works well.

I was thinking you and I discussed you moving on a thread last year. I looked them up they have a store in Lafayette which is on the way to Dale  Hollow. Im sure we will see you sometime this season. Really hoping to find a Houseboat reasonable on the lake but need to figure out how to work from there on Fridays with good signal. Thanks 

I am also at Mitchell Creek....reception is sketchy at times and non existent most of the time. But.......I don't complain since I go there to get away from it all anyway and could care less if the phone rings at all....Maybe see you this summer CTays. Going up there next Wednesday. 2015 SSX being delivered. I'm over there on AA at the end.

I am also at Mitchell Creek....reception is sketchy at times and non existent most of the time. But.......I don't complain since I go there to get away from it all anyway and could care less if the phone rings at all....Maybe see you this summer CTays. Going up there next Wednesday. 2015 SSX being delivered. I'm over there on AA at the end.
If you see the German Shepard chances are its me!  We like to eat at Mitchell  creek.

Stop by and see me if you guys are around. We eat at the dock restaurant a lot in the summer. Went down on Friday and paid the rent for the year. They are doing a lot of upgrades. they have the second gas pump in now with the extended gas dock. This will be a big help. We moved from AA. I like the dock better but Christy's uncle has a hard time getting around and loves the lake so we moved there for the ease of getting from the car onto the boat.  

Back