Recommendations/Pics for Fishfinder and GPS Mounts on Console

mat827

Reaction score
First time boat and Bennington owner. I am seeking recommendations/pics on how to mount dual fish finder/GPS (either Hummingbird Helix 7s or 9s - have the Minn Kota Riptide trolling motor to synch with those) for my 2016 SFX 22. Another consideration is a Helix 12 or 15 and just use the split screen option. My preference is to keep as low a profile as possible, but the bigger screens are always nice. Also, has anyone found a better location for the transducer other than the rear of the pontoon? Appreciate any insight you can provide.

Mat, if you use the search function for words like "humminbird", "helix" or "garmin" you'll come up with some info. Here's one: http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/fish-finder-solution.5883/page-3#post-90135

I'm replacing my 11-year old Garmin 85 with a Helix 5 DI/GPS. I want it to be flush-mounted on the dash, in the same place as the Garmin. We don't fish (much) so don't feel the need for a big screen. Also, we trailer 100%, so a permanent out-of-the-wind mount is important to us so we don't have to constantly remove /re-install.

The Helix 7 is 10.5 inches wide, while the Helix 9 is 13.5 inches. The H7 could barely be squeezed into the lower right of the dash, while the H9 was too big, so I opted for the H5.

All of which is to say I think you're going to have to do a free standing gimbal mount to the side, although I suspect that you knew that.

Welcome to the forum...

p.s. I'm still waiting for the H5 to arrive, so I'm hoping this install goes OK. I ordered it five days ago and Humminbird has yet to ship it. Clearly they could learn something from Amazon!

Last edited:
RAM mounts are the way to go! GivesGthe ability to rotate it around to view it from about anywhere in the boat or move it to reduce glare , plus being able to remove it from the boat in literally 10 seconds is pretty sweet. Wind? You can also leave it in place trailering and that bugger ain't going anywhere! It's also very unobtrusive to mount. Just a few smail holes to mount the base and if you decide to mount it somewhere else the base can be used for another mount for something like a cell phone holder. Just be sure to use a block of wood or something on the inside of the helm for support and it should last as long as the boat.

IMG_4119.JPG

Is that a Helix 5 or 7?

RAM mounts are the way to go! GivesGthe ability to rotate it around to view it from about anywhere in the boat or move it to reduce glare , plus being able to remove it from the boat in literally 10 seconds is pretty sweet. Wind? You can also leave it in place trailering and that bugger ain't going anywhere! It's also very unobtrusive to mount. Just a few smail holes to mount the base and if you decide to mount it somewhere else the base can be used for another mount for something like a cell phone holder. Just be sure to use a block of wood or something on the inside of the helm for support and it should last as long as the boat.

View attachment 21870

It's a Helix 7. RAM has the specific mount for the 7 also. Mounting it the way I did blocks the fuel guage unless it's pretty much vertical but that's no big deal. It does leave the tach and trim visible though in about any position unless I have it folded down as low as it goes for trailering.
I've since sold that boat and when the new one shows up I'll be putting it in the same spot...

How did you run the wires through the dash panel? Some sort of clamshell wire cover??

I've started running the transducer wiring, but now starting to think about how to get through the dash panel.

It's a Helix 7. RAM has the specific mount for the 7 also. Mounting it the way I did blocks the fuel guage unless it's pretty much vertical but that's no big deal. It does leave the tach and trim visible though in about any position unless I have it folded down as low as it goes for trailering.
I've since sold that boat and when the new one shows up I'll be putting it in the same spot...

The wires were run through a 3/4" or 1" hole , forget which , that was drilled next to the mount base. You already drill into it to mount the base so no biggie. There is a plastic wire protector that goes in the hole that dresses it back up.

20180501_065129.jpg We got the Lowrance HD 7 Gen 3. My husband really likes it so far. Cabella's had it at 50% off, so we jumped on it.

We had the dealer mount it off to the side because it was going to block some switches otherwise. Seems to work OK where it is. Just doesn't look as clean as it could have. But it's at a nice viewing height.

Looks real good. I don't think there is a perfect way to make a "clean" install on a fish finder. The added benefit of a nice fish finder is worth it.

Nice setup and clean looking semper Fi but opinions differ. I feel with a flush mount you lose a lot of versatility. And if it's used actually as a fish finder vs a depth finder as you're driving , having it flush mounted would make it not quite useless to me , but let's say very unhandy at least. My opinion only and worth what you're willing to pay for it! :D

Yeah, I was just being an arse ..... :p
I definitely would have liked it at eye level, but it kind of balances out my helm with the stereo on the left side. I’m super anal about symmetry.

Haha! I still say you have an awesome set up but I'd need another fish finder to go with it that could be rotated and seen from other spots in the boat.

Semp..... that thing shines way to much!! ;) I can even see that guy taking pictures in steering wheel!!

Looks real good. I don't think there is a perfect way to make a "clean" install on a fish finder. The added benefit of a nice fish finder is worth it.

We use it as a depth finder so it is handy to have it at eye level, especially with the shallow areas we have on the Columbia and Snake River. But having it actually in the dash just makes it look like it wasn't an afterthought.

Back