Refueling 2012 or newer Benne Pontoon

Jtraskell

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I know there are at least a few threads here on the subject of refueling our pontoon boats and the trouble some of us are experiencing. I am sorry for starting a new thread, but I did some searching and could not confirm that anybody else had discovered this solution.  [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The slow fill and back splash problems have to do with the “new” fill design developed by “Enviro-Fill Inc.”  (When I say Fill design, I mean the fill tube)  They developed this new fill and tank system as an answer to new EPA requirements that took effect in July of 2011. In short, the EPA wanted fuel fill systems that would 1. Make sure a gas pump nozzle shuts off when a tank is 95% full (or less), and 2. Capture vapors before they escaped into the atmosphere. The Enviro-Fill product fits the bill.  However, the Envir-Fill product was developed with just Gas pump nozzles in mind, not gas cans. And, Gas pump nozzles come in different sizes and angles. As such, they all do not work the same way with the new fill system.  Just an FYI, Ameri-Kart Co. makes fuel tanks and other marine parts. They bought the Enviro-fil technology back in 2010, so they now produce the product. Bennington buys their fuel tank and fill systems from Ameri-Kart.  (See the attached Ameri-Kart press release attached).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]For those of us with the 2012 model years or newer, take a look at your fuel fill hose, right behind where the gas pump nozzle goes into the boat. You will see that the “Tube” is wide where the nozzle goes in and then it narrows, then it gets wide again.  This narrowing is important. It was developed in conjunction with a single moving part inside the gas tank that causes a pressure wave up the fill tube, causing the gas pump nozzle to shut off when the tank is almost full, but gas does not rise into the fill tube like normal.   (It mimics the condition normally found when gas is actually in the fill tube, causing the gas pump nozzle to shut off as designed). For more information, just google "how a gas pump nozzle works".[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]IF [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]you have a gas can nozzle the fits directly in front of the hole of the narrow opening, or if the gas pump nozzle you are using fits perfectly in front of that hole,  good for you. You should not experience any back splash problems. But, if your gas can or gas pump nozzle is slightly off center, you will start getting back flow up into the wide part of the fill tube where the nozzle goes in. Guess what, Envior-Fill placed the air-vent tube openings in the fill tube itself and at the 9:00 o’clock position instead of the 12 o’clock position.  I know, EPA stuff. The result, however, is that gas can easily get into the air vent tubes, causing a quick and sloppy backsplash!  Then on top of that, some of you found that the vent tubes were placed in such a way at the Bennington factory, that they created a “P” trap type of situation that when gas did get into the air vent tubes, they would not clear…..so many issues, so little time….[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Some folks have found solutions by finding just the right gas can with a flex nozzle that fits perfectly over that hole. Other have not experienced any problems, probably since the gas pump/can nozzle they normally use fits perfectly in the first place. Others have improvised by using a “Super Siphon”, still others simply added a separate air vent not connected to the fill tube at all.  No matter what solution you may find, make sure your vent hoses are clear, or no matter what, you will get a backsplash.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Now for the purpose of this post to begin with. Enviro-Fill/Ameri-Kart developed a solution of their own. There is a funnel out there that fits perfectly in the hole and “Seats” in the fill tube, kinda snaps in a bit, sealing the narrow opening with the funnel tube. Works great. You can get the part using Bennington Part # 013963. (See attached).  Cost? Well, I think it's free. At least it was for me. My dealer did not know about it. He does now after I contacted Bennington direct. Ok that’s it.  Good luck, be safe and happy boating!     [/SIZE]07_21_10_Ameri-KartEnviroFillAcq.pdfFunnel.jpg

Attachments

• 07_21_10_Ameri-KartEnviroFillAcq.pdf
    113.2 KB · Views: 361
I have a 2014 and initially thought filling was a pain when I did it for the first time.  However, my solution is non-mechanical in nature, and only takes a human arm.  I didn't need to look at the hoses on the back side, as I found if I simply turn the pump handle so it is pointing left to right, and then fill, it fills at full speed without any splashing, etc.  Pump shuts off perfectly.  I have filled at least 3 times that way and while it is a pain to hold the pump handle to the side (reaching up standing on the ground), it's a lot easier than carrying around any additional items to help me fill the tank.

Just my 2 cents.

Happy boating (fueling)!!! 

kkitowski, by turning the pump nozzel, you are lining it up with that hole at the begning of the narrow opening. (You changed the angle of the nozzel). Are you fueling at the same place, using the same pumps every time?  If so, keep in mind that fix may not work with other nozzels. If not and you get the same results no matter where you are filling up, lucky you!   Hope that works for everybody. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have fueled up in at 3 different places thus far, after my first 1/2 tank fuel at another place.  Different gas companies as well.  All worked fine.  I am hoping I figured out one of the little nuisances of toys.  Next time I fuel maybe I should take a small video showing the before and after using my technique. 

I've seen the new style Envioro-Fill fuel tanks on UTube, and they look really nice--and safer.

But my 2012 24SSLX will just take a gas flow equal to what the new style WallyWorld plastic fuel tanks put out.  Any faster, and it'll come out an overflow hole below the 1" intake.  I went to Tractor Supply and bought one of the old style galvanized funnels with an 18" corrigated 1" hose that fits tight in the intake.  It takes fuel a little faster.

One way to get faster fuel is to buy one of the gas jugs online or at a motorcycle dealership.  They sell a high volume filler neck separate of the jug to skirt OSHA/EPA.

Or you can take one of a new WallyWorld plastic fuel tanks and drill a hole at the top.  Then you take a metal screw in style valve stem (not rubber) and remove and throw away the inner valve.  Stick a coat hanger thru it and thread the valve stem from inside and secure it with the attached nut.  When you want a faster flow, unscrew the little metal cap and you've got plenty of fuel coming out.  And it's all relatively cheap.

Nothing like having a half dozen 5 gallon Jerry cans.  Each one saves me $7.50 over buying the gasoline on the water.  And if I want to do a 200 mile river cruise, I can strap'em on my aft extended deck out of the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dealer called and said they had replaced my leaking toon and it was ready for delivery. I was on my way to see them about this filler funnel. When I got there I showed the shop manager a copy document of the funnel and he had not seen one. His parts man called Bennington and they are shipping one out for free.  Has been a very good day. Getting my boat back and a free funnel which will help in refueling.  Y'all have a great week.

handshake, stan

I'm so glad I have an R with the big old open tank filler. No special fill valve, vent, etc ..... Just a big ole 2" opening. I can just let it rip as fast as the pump will allow.

I'm so glad I have an R with the big old open tank filler. No special fill valve, vent, etc ..... Just a big ole 2" opening. I can just let it rip as fast as the pump will allow.
Semperfi8387, is it because you have an "R", or because it is an 2011 model?  Changes did not go into effect until the 2012 model year. Either way, lucky you......be safe.

My dealer called and said they had replaced my leaking toon and it was ready for delivery. I was on my way to see them about this filler funnel. When I got there I showed the shop manager a copy document of the funnel and he had not seen one. His parts man called Bennington and they are shipping one out for free.  Has been a very good day. Getting my boat back and a free funnel which will help in refueling.  Y'all have a great week.

handshake, stan
Glade to be of service. Be safe Afisman.

Good info jtraskell.  I made the commitment to hauling off shore ethanol free gas.  The way the gas cap is on my 2012 RL makes it difficult, in fact undoable so I use the super siphon for my boat and seadoo, .  I also use ethanol free for my lawn tractor and snowblower but they are both easy to pour the can in to it

I'm bringing mine w/me Carl............Just in case

Semperfi8387, is it because you have an "R", or because it is an 2011 model?  Changes did not go into effect until the 2012 model year. Either way, lucky you......be safe.
I've got a 2011 R and wasn't that lucky. I get splash back/slow fill every time I pump.

I'm guessing cause you have a RCW with side fill? I have the sundeck with a big ol tank sitting inside it.

When my boat's hanging in the boathouse, my filler neck is about shoulder height.  And throwing 5 gallon plastic jerry cans up on your shoulder and holding it for 3 minutes gets old.  But I'll do it to save $7.50 per can vs. marina gasoline.

I've thought about getting one of the 18 gallon rolling gas caddies, and use a small block and tackle to hoist it higher than the boat.  Then letting the fuel offload into the tank at a slow speed won't be an issue.  I also might get a fuller tank.  I swear my 21 gallon tank will only take 16-17 gallons when refueling.

When my boat's hanging in the boathouse, my filler neck is about shoulder height.  And throwing 5 gallon plastic jerry cans up on your shoulder and holding it for 3 minutes gets old.  But I'll do it to save $7.50 per can vs. marina gasoline.

I've thought about getting one of the 18 gallon rolling gas caddies, and use a small block and tackle to hoist it higher than the boat.  Then letting the fuel offload into the tank at a slow speed won't be an issue.  I also might get a fuller tank.  I swear my 21 gallon tank will only take 16-17 gallons when refueling.
You really should try a super siphon. I wouldn't be without mine and my surgically altered back thanks me for it.

I saw them at Lowes today for $7.99 and with my military 10% off it's about $7.20. I hear ya about the back. Mine was done in 2003 and 11 years later it still painfull.

Couldn't you just lower your boat down a ways so it would be easier? Then maybe use the siphon? Sorry if that's dumb, not sure on your setup.

Back