Refueling 2012 or newer Benne Pontoon

I know there are a bunch of great solutions here, but I would like to add what I know too, since this was very frustrating on our boat when we had to get gas. It finally reached the point where it really needed a solid solution for our 2013 22SSX when it took a combination of the fuel-dock guys, me, plus service tech guys 45 minutes to add just 4 gallons of gas to our half-full 30-gallon tank because the pump kept kicking off. My dealer had never seen anything like this. I did some online research, the dealer tried some things, then the dealer finally contacted Bennington to get a final solution.

I'm extremely pleased to say that has been multiple years ago now, and no fuel-fill problems have ever since come back to plague us.

Apparently, Bennington determined our particular boat was equipped with a simple Attwood Marine filler, but the overflow spring/cap assembly component had a spring tension that was too strong so it was causing splash-backs in the filler neck that caused the pump to keep kicking off. Sometimes (by chance) the fuel would go in a little better, depending on multiple concurrent variables (angle, flow rate, ...), but the solution was a simple new spring/cap with a lower tension strength. I also found out that apparently different models, and different years, might have different fuel fills, so your results may vary. There are several great solutions here - so if you do have any fuel-fill issues, know there is hope. Good luck!

I have a 2018 and experience none of these fill problems ya'll speak of. Wondering if something changed for the better?

I’ve got newer model and have the same issue. Just picked up a 2019 21’ SX. First try with jiggler siphon hose “super siphon”, it quickly started shooting everything in the water. Dealer had not heard of this, but did say their pump sometimes turns off 3 or 4 times before being able to fill all the way. He suggested not putting hose in all the way to the little metal stop. I did that and had same result. Ended up using very slow hand siphon, which has a smaller tube entering the gas line, and that worked but I hate to think of having to use that every time. I’ll be out refueling for an 45 minutes for 1/2 a tank.

I have a 2014 ,and use the Super Siphon every time ,never had an issue ( knock on wood )

Given that I do not have my boat yet I am wondering if whatever is causing the problem can be removed after I get the boat IF I experience the problem?

Jack and Jack.... does the super siphon hose fit real snuggly into the smaller opening which is about 3 - 3.5” in? I have to work mine a bit to make it into the smaller part, and I’m wondering if by doing that I am choking off a vent? Thanks for your comments, and the whole club Bennington site was awesome to find. I have a 2007 Four Winn’s bow rider which we love, and the pontoon is an awesome add to the family!

I have some play in mine . Before my RCW ,we had a 2013 SLX had no issues with that either .
Your location says Burt Lake ,I would be happy to show you how mine works next time I fill up . You could even come by your boat ,a guest is allowed to use an empty slip as long as I am there

Also fill my tank exclusively using super siphon and have never has any issues

Sorry as I just re-read Jtraskell's beginning post and he nailed it.
That is great information. Thanks for the hard work in finding a solution.
Sometimes I think it would be better if more of us could contact Bennington direct as many dealers just do not know their boats well.
I have a less volume CC and if I have any problems I can call the owner direct but with a Bennington, given the numbers they turn out, the owners or the head of manufacturing would be on the phone all day.
This forum is a great resource for any issues that arise and do appreciate all the hard work folks go through to solve any issues with the boats.

It would seem from the in depth description that the system is a complete unit with the tank and fill spout combined and not just a part that can be replaced. My question: for those who still have issues with filling could the complete tank and fill hose be replaced with one like the old systems? Now I know what the EPA says and I have been battling all gas cans since the new laws took effect but if careful you CAN fill a tank without spilling fuel into the water...
Curious how hard it would be to replace the complete tank and fill system?

It would seem from the in depth description that the system is a complete unit with the tank and fill spout combined and not just a part that can be replaced. My question: for those who still have issues with filling could the complete tank and fill hose be replaced with one like the old systems? Now I know what the EPA says and I have been battling all gas cans since the new laws took effect but if careful you CAN fill a tank without spilling fuel into the water...
Curious how hard it would be to replace the complete tank and fill system?

Sorry, but any responses to this question here pertaining to “how to” will be removed. This site is owned and provided by Bennington so we have to be careful with any responses bypassing safety or government required systems.

I do understand your and Bennington's stance but the issues still seem to be continuing for some owners..
After further insight, I think the issue could be figured out without much thought so will retract the question.

Jack M. - based on one post and pic I’m guessing your in the Links marina? May not be but it looks similar. My brother lives there. If you would be willing, I’ll bring my pontoon over with 5 gallons for each boat and check out any differences in how they fill.

Oldchuck has a point, it seems the EPA and the boat manufacturers could figure this out without too much of an issue. If several of us are dumping gas into lakes, it seems that that might be defeating the purpose of the new regs and systems to address those regs. I’ve not dropped a drop of gas from my Four Winn’s into water over several years. Might have lost some fumes to evaporation, but that happens the second anyone opens a gas container (so same evaporation occurs with Four Winn’s). I’m an idiot in these areas, but maybe all this was to create a solution where no problem existed. Not a Bennington issue at all, they obviously need to comply. But the results of manufacturers complying may not be what the EPA was hoping for.

I do understand your and Bennington's stance but the issues still seem to be continuing for some owners..
After further insight, I think the issue could be figured out without much thought so will retract the question.

Oh I get it, definitely issues, just don’t want issues arising from a “how to”. Trust me, if I was having the issues others have, I’d be looking at the route you mentioned. My 2011 didn’t have this EPA canister, just a big old opening that you could probably fit 2 or 3 nozzles in.

Jack M. - based on one post and pic I’m guessing your in the Links marina? May not be but it looks similar. My brother lives there. If you would be willing, I’ll bring my pontoon over with 5 gallons for each boat and check out any differences in how they fill.
Yes we are in Lake Marina .
Send me a PM and we can set something up

Semper,
I understand and appreciate your comments and agree with Tomc as I have had to fight the EPA fill spouts for a number of years as they cause more issues for me than the old type. I understand why the EPA did what they did however, their solution did make it far more difficult to fill certain tanks but I do not think they care. There are a number of folks selling the old fashioned spouts aftermarket for typical gas cans and they have created a good market for those. I have a CC boat that is a 2017 and Never have any issues but have been beside other boats that take the owner forever to fill. It is the type of device used that causes the issue on certain boats. I know I can not change the EPA or the careless people that it seems must be protected from themselves but just looking for a workaround. If the funnel that Bennington sells will do the job then I can live with that but could not live with having issues each time I tried to fill the tank. Where I live I have no marine fuel close so I haul non ethanol fuel and use syphon to put into boat tank and just looking ahead when I get my Bennington so I won't have any issues...

I'll be running 30 gallons through my super siphon tonight to fill ours up while the bugs eat me alive. Never had an issue at the pump either.

Back