Regular 25" tubes with strakes or Ellipticals with 115 on 21'

Oldchuck

Reaction score
Sat down with dealer and trying to decide between regular tubes with strakes or Ellipticals with a 115 Yamaha on a 21SSRCX.
Now, I know the wisdom will say go with the SPS and 150 but hear me out. I do not do water sports of any kind, am older an just want to cruise in more comfort than in my CC and will only be on Central Florida lakes. We normally travel light with only 2-4 on board and most of the time only 2.
I can still do the Yamaha 150 with the Ellipticals but looking at all options and and looking at the Yamaha 115 and speed with that motor. The dealer says that the regular 25" tubes with lifting strakes will be as fast or very close to the Ellipticals but I have always thought the Ellipticals were the fastest and that is why many of Bennington's performance tests are with the Ellipticals. Any thoughts from those who may have either the regular tubes with lifting strakes or the 21' with Ellipticals? From Bennington's tests with a 22 they are getting about 35-36 with the 115 and Ellipts so would thinks a lighter 21 would do as well or better. Now, will also look at the Elips with the 150 and know that will be a 40 mph boat but looking at all options. I have always gotten as much HP as the boat will take but this time looking at all options. My wife really only want to cruise at around 22 or 23 but I do not want to run the motor over 4000 continuously.
Any thoughts?

It sounds to me like your main objective is comfort over speed. Is it? While I can't speak from experience with either of the platforms you mention, I can tell you that my ESP at around 3700 RPM (my best economy) is an exceptionally smooth and stable ride in most any sea condition. You also sit high enough to virtually never have to worry about water over the bow.

That said, it would seem to me that if you're not interested in going to a tri-toon, the elliptical might be your best bet to get you up and out of the water for a more comfortable ride while also giving you the most speed. Just my opinion of course...

Michiman,
Thanks for your opinion.
Looking for the best speed I can obtain with a 115. I know the Ellipticals with performance package are the fastest but given that it is a 3,000+ option was trying to see if anyone has either those or the 25" tubes with strakes. Most seem to go for the SPS package and if you are trying to get an all around boat that can do it all then the SPS is an excellent option but seeing as how I will not be doing any water sports, I could get a faster platform at a cheaper price with the Elliptical performance package...
Trying to calculate speed is tough because with the smaller engines weight plays such an important role and it takes so much power just to get the pontoons out of the water. Most of the top speeds for a 20-21 foot toon range from 24-35 mph however that is a large spread usually dictated by the weight and hull shape...Trying to narrow it down...

Stupid question..... why can’t you get strakes on the ellipticals?? That would be the best of both worlds! Extra floatation, speed of ellipticals with a planing hull. Just my weird thinking!

OldChuck, don't think you will see a big difference between ellipticals and 2-toon strakes as far as performance so I really don't think it matters. If this is your last boat and will keep it to the end I would say probably the ellipticals and a 115.

If there is any chance that you will sell the boat then it would be wise to buy the SPS and the 150. Why, for the resale value. I got into boating late in life, around 55, and when I started looking at pontoons I started looking at used. That changed quickly when virtually all the pontoons were 40 - 60 hp. The times they are a changing. Whereas a few years ago the 150 on a pontoon seemed extravagant we are now seeing many more boats being purchased with 200 and more. The 115 is fast becoming the most loathed engine in the lineup. Many of us (Me Too) that have bought the 115 have later regretted it and wished we bought the 150.

A few years ago out of curiosity I studied and tracked the posts in the thread Props & Powers. Following is what I wrote in the opening thread:

I didn't want to hijack a thread so I started this new. In a discussion on adding the power steering and cost Bamaman wrote "That makes my Yamaha F150 w/o power steering much more attractive. From what I can tell, I'm only giving up between 3 and 6 mph to the F250 motors"

That statement amazed me so I just went and looked at the prop spec that Eric started and was amazed. I Realize this does not take into account the toon packages but tallied the results on R series boats and most were all 2275:

I have the Yamaha 115 and generally top out at 26, this seems to be pretty much the average

The 150's come in from 33 to a high of 44 with most reporting 38mph

a 200HP reported 41mph

Two 225HP report 42 and 43mph

and a 250 reported 42

After seeing that I would think the 150 may be the biggest bang for the buck motor.

Here is the link to the entire thread: http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/hp-and-wot.1965/#comment-15951

My elliptical toons have strakes. With the 150hp, I maxed out at 39. They handle whitecaps very well. This year in Canada, we had a wind shift and I had to get the boat on the trailer for safety. We were in 30 mph winds and 2-3 ft whitecaps. The boat handled it well. The best part of the elliptical is the 1000lb of extra bouyance. We have 10 people on it for fishing and the boat doesn't feel any different.

Thanks for all the opinions.
Adkboater: the Elliptical performance package does contain lifting strakes, performance foils, keels and under water wave shield. However you can just get the Elliptical with or without strakes for a lot less.
Link, Rem: When you look at Bennington's performance bulletins the fastest times are turned in with the Elliptical performance package so I figured they wanted their boats to look as fast as possible and that must be the fastest combination. I know there is a low horsepower point where strakes and foils will not help much but Bennington has used them with the 2275 and the 115 so figured that any 2275 that can do over 34 with a 115 then something must be helping even lightly loaded with 2 adults and 20 gal of fuel.
The regular 25" tubes with strakes must not be very common on the site as I have seldom seen them. Also, I know Ellipticals really help with increased loads due to increased bouyancy but not sure with light loads how much advantage they would offer over regular tubes with strakes.. Again, could always go with the 150 and although I love that engine I only want to be able to cruise in low 20's with 4-5 folks....
I know my Yam 150 will burn over 16 gph at WOT so given the small tanks on these boats I would run dry in less then 2 hours...Not saying I would run it that fast that long but Just saying...

Since there are few folks that have the 25" tubes with strakes, is there anyone at Bennington that could give accurate info about what I could expect with each package on a given hull?

I have the 25” with strakes and a 115. I can’t speak to the ellipticals as I have never tested them but in my experience I get on plane quickly and I feel like they do add to the performance. Just tested my Wot on semi calm water with 2 aboard and topped out at around 30mph.

Having said that, if I had to do it over again I would increase to 150 or higher. Any more than about 4 aboard and the speed and performance diminishes.

To give more perspective I had 7 adults aboard last week and did not exceed 22mph with WOT and didn’t stay that fast for long as I didn’t want to burn all my gas.

Last edited:
Dev,
Thanks for the info. That is what I was looking for as far as performance. Your 22 will be a few hundred lbs heavier than my 21 but the point remains that performance really suffers with standard tubes and strakes with light hp when you add weight.
I could live with 30 top end and low 20's cruise but could NOT live with a WOT of 22 and having to cruise in the mid teens.
To add the 150 I would have to get the Elliptical performance or the SPS that would add about 7-9 grand to the package....
Yeah, I think I need to find someone at Bennington that knows the performance capabilities of each combination. Do NOT want to be disappointed with what I get...
Will see what I can find...
Again,
Thanks Dev, as that is exactly what I was looking for...

Dev,
Thanks for the info. That is what I was looking for as far as performance. Your 22 will be a few hundred lbs heavier than my 21 but the point remains that performance really suffers with standard tubes and strakes with light hp when you add weight.
I could live with 30 top end and low 20's cruise but could NOT live with a WOT of 22 and having to cruise in the mid teens.
To add the 150 I would have to get the Elliptical performance or the SPS that would add about 7-9 grand to the package....
Yeah, I think I need to find someone at Bennington that knows the performance capabilities of each combination. Do NOT want to be disappointed with what I get...
Will see what I can find...
Again,
Thanks Dev, as that is exactly what I was looking for...
For a little more perspective my 2017 20 with 25" tubes and lifting strakes tops out at 30 mph with me only - mercury 90 HP command thrust - cruise 3500 rpm with 4 people at 14 mph

Allan,
Thanks for the additional info. More data to form a theory. Again, either with a 90 or a 115 and 25" tubes with strakes you suffer badly with weight added.
Logic would dictate that with the Ellipticals and adding an advertised increase of 1,000 lbs of buoyancy per tube that you would be able to carry more weight before starting to really slow. How much and at what point I do not know.
I do know that Bennington's own performance has the 2275 with a 115 and the Ellipt performance package toping out at 34.5 but that is light with 2 people for testing. Do not know how it would do with 5 or 6 people added. Would the additional 2,000 lbs of buoyancy compensate for the weight and if so how much?
Those are the questions I have.

Does anyone here know if there is someone at Bennington who would know each performance package and would know or be able to calculate speeds with weight given a certain length boat?

I am on my second Benny. Our first was the 20SL with a 65 ETEC Pontoon Series. It was fine except for water sports. We just took possession of our new 20SLX with SPS and 115HO ETEC. For us the second setup is perfect. Kept the budget reasonable and covers 95% of our needs. I couldn’t justify the extra cost going to 21’ or longer. The SPS blows the regular 25” toons(with strakes) out of the water. Not close in any way. I have also been on a Benny with the Ellipticals and the ESP. The Ellipticals are fine for straight ahead driving and may be a little faster but the turning is aweful and really gives an uncomfortable feeling for everyone on board. The ESP is insane in all areas of performance but comes with a hefty price tag. In my opinion the SPS is the perfect blend of price vs performance and in our case the 20’ with 115 is perfect. With three on board and a full tank we are getting 35 mph. With 6 adults 2 children and full load its 26 mph.

Scot,
Thanks for the information. I would be happy with that performance and sounds like you got a nice rig.
I went back and forth between the 20 & 21. The price was not that much different. I can not go over 21' due to my boat house and touchless cover as the 21 is about the same as the CC I have now.
With the 21, I have the option of the Ellipticals and about a grand cheaper than the SPS but still on the fence as I do not do water sports. Your speeds are something I would be happy with. I know the Ellipts handle and turn more like the regular toons but as I said I do not do many turns and just cruise and sightsee. Still on the fence but have some time since my boat has just been advertised for sale...
Thanks for taking the time to answer my concerns...

Watersports aside......Ellipticals will never ride or handle as smooth as a triple toon. They have there place,there’s nothing bad about them, you just need to figure out what you prefer. Best thing to do is plant your but on each hull and see what you prefer. I give rides ALL the time and nobody has ever stepped off my Bennington without a smile and a compliment!!

I just purchased a 2008 2254 GL sport with a 115 and lifting strakes. I think it will be fine for cruising and pulling the youngsters on a tube. Coming from an old Sweetwater with a 40hp I’m sure I will be thrilled, for a while ar least. I see all these people hating on the 115 and obsessed with speed, it’s only a number. I would have liked a Tri-toon but really didn’t need one.

Adk,
Thanks for the common sense... That is the only way I will know.
Will try to see where I can try both..
You come to update NY on Labor Day weekend I can pretty much get you a ride on all the Bennington hulls.

I just purchased a 2008 2254 GL sport with a 115 and lifting strakes. I think it will be fine for cruising and pulling the youngsters on a tube. Coming from an old Sweetwater with a 40hp I’m sure I will be thrilled, for a while ar least. I see all these people hating on the 115 and obsessed with speed, it’s only a number. I would have liked a Tri-toon but really didn’t need one.
Welcome redneck! It sounds like you knew what you wanted and got it; excellent! Enjoy...

Back