Removing Algae Growth

kanda4

Reaction score
Ok, so I had to let my tritoon sit in the water for 4 weeks before my boat lift was installed and now I have excessive algae growth on the toons. I have heard that it's easier to get off if it is allowed to stay wet, and I've also heard it's also okay to let it dry and remove the algae after it dries. It's 100 degrees here in North Texas and not cooling down anytime soon. Any thoughts?

I took mine out of the water, with a meduim bristle brush and mild soap and water, laid under the boat on the trailer wearing goggles, and scrubbed away. If you have a power washer it might go quicker, but I wanted to make sure I got it all. Cool water was refreshing, but it was messy. Do you have sharkhide? If not you might be able to be more aggressive.

Mine sat in the water for a couple of weeks and I can't get the stains off of my toons. What does the sharkhide look like after a good scrubbing ? I didn't get that option. I cleaned and also used a buffing wheel with a good rubbing compound and sill they are stained. I'm going to try a scotch brite on them next.

Looks good. Not as good as new, but still has the "shine".

We use the green scotchbrite pads every few weeks in the summer. Boat is slipped from May-Oct so we get lots of growth - especially if the boat would sit for a few weeks.

Hop in the water and start scrubbing. :p

Hop in the water and start scrubbing. :p
That's what I did today, bout a 1/2 hour and she's probably good for the rest of season being its cooling off.

Gonna do ours on Sunday. It's going to take longer than a 1/2 hour for me :D .

Gonna do ours on Sunday. It's going to take longer than a 1/2 hour for me :D .
That's why I do mine as much as possible, minimal growth, minimal cleaning. I learned my lesson the first year with a toon. It took me HOURS to pressure wash it clean.

I generally never touch mine during the summer. When it comes out at end of season they are power washed and wiped down with a very strong solvent and they look new. Sharkhide is put on before the boat goes back in for the spring and they really don't look bad at all right now. Not lazy or don't take pride, I thoroughly wipe down my seats every weekend and apply 303 almost every time, my toons just never look that bad at the waterline or underneath

I keep mine on a lift! And the neighbors all think I'm crazy for keeping a "pontoon" on a lift. Maybe it is because they have a lowe....

we have sharkhide on ours but 2 weeks in our local mud hole lake we had a ton of slime and green we spent 2 hours cleaning with a power washer came supper clean but all the little critters that attached left tiny pits on the toons but no discoloration. trying to find out if we can use baking soda to remove water stains.

You need to issue every family member their own ScotchBite pad. They work better if you're in the water with the boat, and if you do a good scrubbing every trip out.

I'm very fortunate to be on a stable depth lake without any buffer zone around the lake. Our docks and boathouses are great. But if at all possible, every boat owner should keep their boat out of the water--either on a lift, on the trailer in a storage lot or in a warehouse storage.

I just don't have the time, motivation or desire to spend a bunch of time trying to get algae off my hull.

Just wondering why everyone worries about keeping the toons so clean. Ours is slipped year around at Table Rock lake just like all the rentals are. Other than being discolored toons we keep the rest of the boat cleaned and covered when not in use.

As too decreased performance due to algae has anyone done a study on algae and toon performance?

Just wondering why everyone worries about keeping the toons so clean. Ours is slipped year around at Table Rock lake just like all the rentals are. Other than being discolored toons we keep the rest of the boat cleaned and covered when not in use.

As too decreased performance due to algae has anyone done a study on algae and toon performance?
Multiple posts on decreased speed due to algae buildup. No different than why they wash airplanes. Dirt equals drag.

I mean really, why wash your car, it just gets dirty again. For me, I guess it's more pride, as speed is not a concern.

I take pride in how nice our Benni is, and its a reflection on us if we go to trade or sell. If our toons look like crap, they may question how well we took care of everything else. I know I would look at someone else's toon this way if buying.

Our is now a year old, and I guarantee most will think its brand spanking new. Matter of fact, I just checked the toons again today.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it's pride and performance. My boat slowed down 10 mph after leaving it in the water for only 3 weeks! Plus, really looks bad with algae when up on the lift. Scrub, scrub, scrub! :)

Must be different lakes promote different degrees of algae growth. We do apply the sharkhide in a very careful manner prior to boat going in water and I have not really touched them since, my boat lost 4mph from its top speed from when the boat was brand new. Boat is docked in the water the entire time and I say again my toons look pretty clean without much of a water line

My boat is in saltwater down here in FL tied up to the dock. I MUST clean it weekly or I'll be serving mussels w/green clam sauce! I have the boat bottom-painted and wipe it down gently with a scotch-brite pad. Above the paint the 'toons have Sharkhide so I just wipe them down with a towel and use freshwater from the hose.

Must be different lakes promote different degrees of algae growth. We do apply the sharkhide in a very careful manner prior to boat going in water and I have not really touched them since, my boat lost 4mph from its top speed from when the boat was brand new. Boat is docked in the water the entire time and I say again my toons look pretty clean without much of a water line
It's weird. Our flowing river is nasty dirty turn your boat green. The "stagnant" lake water will not dirty the toons like the lake, but will grow algae like crazy. The water at certain times is clear to 14' but right now is probably 6' max visibility. A cool week slows down the algae but a couple warm days and its pretty green again. Of course, my fish pond is the same way .....

My boat is in saltwater down here in FL tied up to the dock. I MUST clean it weekly or I'll be serving mussels w/green clam sauce! I have the boat bottom-painted and wipe it down gently with a scotch-brite pad. Above the paint the 'toons have Sharkhide so I just wipe them down with a towel and use freshwater from the hose.
I'd be happy with a 10 mph toon in Florida then a 50 mph toon in Pa. !!!!!! :)

Back