Removing and Re-installing The Changing Room Mechanism

GaRoc

Reaction score
      Since I don't use the changing room on my 2008 2275 GSI, I would like to remove the mechanism from which the canvas "room" hangs, thereby increasing the storage area in which to place fishing gear, etc.. However, I wish to reinstall the mechanism in the future when I sell the boat.

The mechanism is fastened by bolts through the lid to nuts on the top side of the lid under the padding.

I need to know how these bolts are secured to the lid. If they are secured by "T nuts" (which are driven into the wood), then they should not become loose when I remove the bolts, and they should remain in place for when I want to reinstall the mechanism. But if they are not secured in place by some means, they could  become loose and move when the bolts are removed and  I will not be able to reattach the mechanism unless I remove the padded cover, which I do not wish to do.

My question:

Are the nuts securely fastened in place, like with a T nut" installation, or are they not fastened and will become loose when the bolts are removed?

Thanks

I've never looked at ours but I would assume they're "t" nuts. I would think it would be bolted after being covered.

Mine are attached by just lag screws directly into the wood.............I know this because 1 got loose and I ended up replacing it with one just a bit larger to bite/hold. So far so good...........My boat is 4 years older than yours so it might be different................

I guess that the method of attachment has changed since your boat was built because mine is attached with what appear to be stainless steel threaded bolts.

GaRoc

I guess that the method of attachment has changed since your boat was built because mine is attached with what appear to be stainless steel threaded bolts.

GaRoc
 Hmm, the change room is an 'option' so I would think there would have to be a way to add it later. I wonder if anyone on here DOESN'T have the change room and can see if they still have holes predrilled for it.

If I recall correctly, I swear I read somewhere the nuts are there so if you buy the changing room later, it's just a matter of attaching it.

Hello,

Looks like Semperfi 18387 is right.

I found an old post on this forum (August 2012) under the title "Installing a Privacy Curtain on a 20SL" that lists a link to a Bennington 7 page illustrated instruction manual that not only lists "T Nuts" as being factory installed in the lid, but also gives the exact measurements from the edges of the lid that you use to locate the pre-drilled holes through which you screw into the "T-Nuts". These are installed beneath the decorative fabric on the undersurface of the lid and can't be seen, but using the measurements they are easily found. The Bennington manual site is "S Series Privy Curtain Installation PDF".

What a wealth of useful information is contained in this Forum. It just takes a bit of searching to find it.

GaRoc

I knew I saw it ..... I really did ..... :)

I too appreciate the info.......Mine too is coming off this weekend

I would like to have the storage also. I will check with the boss and see if removal is allowed. LOL

Hello again,

Now that I have been able to remove the changing room mechanism, I'm going to convert that area to a secure area with locks. I'm replacing the non-keyed Perko front door lock with a keyed Perko lock (Ebay - $25), and will also install 2 barrel-bolt locks into the lid, one on each side to be able to lock the lid as well. These locks may or may not keep a determined thief out, but at least he'll have to work harder and noisier to get at the fishing equipment. That may be enough to deter him in a marina environment.

Also, on a previous post where I asked how to lock the door, someone mentioned that that should be done in a way so a child could not be trapped inside. The barrel locks, which will be easily opened from inside of the compartment, will solve that problem.

GaRoc

Our privacy holds a full commode with sanibags.  Now that the weekends are quite a bit cooler while out last weekend and glad I didn't have to jump in the water or pull in for a pit stop.   

or a "pith" stop ......... :lol:

How do I find that privacy curtain PDF? I want to make sure all of the mechanical pieces are there before ordering a new curtain. 2003 2575 RFS . Thanks in advance!

Back