Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

Replace in dash fish finder

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself Projects' started by Tripb, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Tripb

Tripb New Member

Looking for information on what to do to replace my in dash Garmin Fish Finder 85. The dash was cut to fit the Garmin but I lost my transducer. Garmin doesn't make the 85 anymore or one in the same size. Any ideas from someone who has experienced something similar?
    Thank you
    Ben

2. Jack M

Jack M Moderator

3. SEMPERFI8387

SEMPERFI8387 Moderator

4. Maynard G. Krebs

Maynard G. Krebs Well-Known Member

It figures, I had a working F85 sitting around for years that you could of had for free but finally tossed it a few months ago. But having had the F85 and upgrading to something new, I think I did you a favor by getting rid of it. There's just no comparison between old and new, the detail on new units is just so much better now it's really worth the upgrade. Installing a Garmin 551dv was pretty simple, I purchased an install kit online for $10 that had a pattern for the footprint of the 551. Laid it over the existing F85 hole in the helm and trimmed a little bit with a Dremel tool. Ran the new transducer, hooked up a couple wires, and it was good to go. The 551 is a semi-surface mount unit. It sticks out an inch or so, not flush like the F85, but looks and works great. The last pic is how I use mine with a split screen. The DownVu screen on the top half shows structure and detail while the 77kHz screen at the bottom shows fish arches as noted on the left side of the bump.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JohnL

JohnL Member

This is a question for anyone that replaced their Garmin95, that was mounted on the lower right part of the console, with another unit that has gps and/or mapping, and put it in the same spot the 95 was. Or anyone that wants to chime in with good advice. Could you properly read the unit while you were underway? Was it difficult to look down to where it is mounted and see it? Would you do it again or would you get a different/bigger unit and put it elsewhere? And where was that?
    The transducer on my 95 broke this past year and I have been thinking about upgrading. I don’t want a hole in my console but I don’t want a non functioning piece of electronics there either. So I have been debating the replacement. If a 53 will fit there I would be happy with that as long as I could see it and be able to read it. I’m looking for opinions and/or pics of other installs. Thanks for all the great discussion on all the topics, I have certainly learned a lot just lurking on here. John

6. cwag911

cwag911 Moderator

7. SEMPERFI8387

SEMPERFI8387 Moderator

We put a 53DV in place of a 95. Easy to see, now bear in mind, ya’ll are running 30-40 mph where I’m at 10 max ... ;)
    I now run a SIMRAD GO5 and other than fish ID, it’s awesome!!!

lakeliving likes this.
  8. JohnL

JohnL Member

Thanks for the pics, looks like it fits in there nice. I’m only running about 6 mph faster with my little 70 on a 20 SFX. Perfect for us in the shallow bay we are on. I didn’t realize there were all these choices for a depth & fish finder/gps unit. But I need all the help I can get, I had a few times where I ended up at a totally different spot than where I thought I was and only realized it because of the depth readings. I’m giving myself plenty of time to make this decision as the shrink wrap won’t come off until April. I hope by then I’ll have over-thought it, over-engineered it and then I’ll see someone’s set up and decide that’s what I want. Once again thanks for the info.