Rides for veterans

mattb

Reaction score
We went to the American Legion hall for pancake day this morning, my wife I and wondered if any vets would like to go boating.  We decided next pancake day we will inquire and see if there is any interest.  My parents are veterans but due to age and health do not get out much, I really wish they would go for a ride.  Anyway, just an idea I had at breakfast with the vets.

Thank You, if you are one.

That's a great idea MattB

Thanks Link, now we just have to wait for next season... Is it here yet???  

They have a big fishing tournament here on Lake Norman every year that takes a veteran on every boat. Several hundred boats strong. The vet who won last year caught a 48 inch catfish....

That IS a great idea.  I have actually thought about offering this to vets myself.  I am a Desert Storm Vet and and think it would be a great idea to offer this to vets who may not be as fortunate as I have been.  Good form, @mattb

Great idea.  Our lake grocery windows are a great place for local information and last summer I noticed a sign in the window for free pontoon boat rides at the state park hotel dock.  I didn't think much about it, but the next weekend instead of taking lunch out on the boat we drove the boat to the state park to have lunch at the hotel.  While we were tying up at the dock two different older couples approached us and asked if we were there for the free pontoon boat rides. 

Then it hit me, the hotel restaurant has always attracted large numbers of customers from the surrounding area just to eat.  So it seemed like someone (probably the state park boat rental dock) organized the pontoon boat rides to give visitors something to do besides just eat. As we were leaving we saw a pontoon boat dock with a group of people who seemed like they were having a great time.

Since we have easy access to water and boats I never thought about there are probably 100's of people that visit resort areas for a variety of reasons that would enjoy just a boat ride. 

Back