Rivets

KDVesely

Reaction score
I have to take off most of the wave shield under my 2019 pontoon, as a muskrat decided to live in there. I have replaced most of the wires / cables, but was wondering if the rivets needed to be anything special when installing my wave shield back on. I have tried to look for spec's, but have had no luck. Any information would be much appreciated.

Welcome! F'in Muskrats! I would Imagine stainless or aluminum ! Contact your dealer for the right rivets. Being your still under warranty do it with the right parts.

I have heard of some using stainless screws ,instead of rivets in case it ever had to be removed again

Typically you want aluminum fasteners with aluminum panels. Different fastener metals can cause corrosion, due to the dissimilar metals. Most hardware stores carry aluminum screws if you want to have easier removal.

Typically you want aluminum fasteners with aluminum panels. Different fastener metals can cause corrosion, due to the dissimilar metals. Most hardware stores carry aluminum screws if you want to have easier removal.

This.

Agree with Jack and Semp. I was thinking using stainless screws until Semp brought up the possibility of different metals causing corrosion....

Agree with Jack and Semp. I was thinking using stainless screws until Semp brought up the possibility of different metals causing corrosion....
I forgot about that also .

Now you have my curiosity up because I believe that Benny uses S.S. rivets to fasten the under-deck aluminum sheets.

Muskrat damage not covered by insurance - says it in my policy - yes I need new policy.

The Bennington Dealer says - 000593 RIVET,#64,RIBBED,STAINLESS STL POPSSD64SSBS-RIB $0.50 ea.

Trying to see if I can find any where, but this dealer has been very helpful, so most likely will get through them

Muskrat damage not covered by insurance - says it in my policy - yes I need new policy.

The Bennington Dealer says - 000593 RIVET,#64,RIBBED,STAINLESS STL POPSSD64SSBS-RIB $0.50 ea.

Trying to see if I can find any where, but this dealer has been very helpful, so most likely will get through them
Rodent damage is excluded in most policies.

I installed a wave shield in 2012 with stainless tek screws and there's no corrosion whatsoever. Boat is used in freshwater only if that makes any difference.

Back