Road trip with a pot of gold at the end...

Bork

Reaction score
Tomorrow my 5yo Co/Pilot (Simon) and I leave on an adventure of sorts...3500 miles give or take a few to pick up the new Bennington and take it out for an extended break in.

Columbus, Ohio to Omaha Nebraska is the first leg to pick up the boat from the dealer. I have never owned a boat so there is going to be a big learning curve.

After picking up the boat we trailer it from Omaha, Nebraska to Pine Island, Florida. At the Marina I have to face the boat ramp for the first time ever and alone. This brings a bit of anxiety and I will seek help if any is around but I have watched quite a few YouTube videos so that’s kind of like experience. The reward for successful launching is 2 weeks of boating in the beautiful pine island sound.

Our rental house is on North Captiva Island and is only acceable by boat. Gulf Beach in the front and dock on the bay in the back. The rest of my family will join us for this portion.

After 2 weeks of fun I have to trailer her back to Columbus, Ohio to await the warm weather up North.

Everything from trailering the boat that long to launching, to flushing the engine etc...the first time is going to be new to me. I will undoubtedly make mistakes.

I will post updates here if anyone cares and of course pictures. Should be a great adventure no matter what and as long as me and my family come out of it safely I will have fun.

-Bork

Wow!! That is one heck of a way to get all those "firsts" out of the way!! Have your phone ready and this forum saved!! Usually someone is on here to give you quick answers to any questions that arise.

Damn! You are going to have a blast! My advice, take your time and make a list.

You are one brave individual! How exciting! Good luck and congrats! Cannot wait to see the first pictures!!

I was afraid to just take the new boat in and out of our boat slip, much less undertaking your big endeavor! How fun!

Lesson one .... make sure tranny in park and emergency brake on when you are at the ramp .... or you’ll end up on YouTube.... good luck and be safe!! And lots of pics please!!!!

I'm not sure, but I think one of the bravest parts of this trip could be doing it with a five-year-old! I have a 5 year old grandson and shudder at the thought of a 3500 mile road trip with him, as much as I adore him!

"When are we gonna be there? "
:rolleyes:

Aaaaaaahhhhh piece of cake!

Take your time, leave plenty of room, make sure your trailer bearings are well greased and check them every time you stop if they are hot. Bring a grease gun with you.

When backing up down the ramp or wherever.........put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. Whichever way you want the trailer to go is the direction your hand goes.

Be safe have fun and lots of pics.......

And let me know when you're back we'll meet you on Alum.

WOW, what an undertaking! Not sure if I mean towing that distance and launching alone for the first time or traveling that distance with a 5 year old.

Looks like you are going to beat me there but we are traveling April 3 to Pine Island to stay with friends from our lake up north who are renting there

What an exciting time! Above all else be safe, take no unnecessary chances and have fun. I guess it’s to late to recommend taking a safe boating course but I would suggest taking one as soon as possible.

Thanks guys appreciate the encouragement and advise. 5yo is going to make it fun and challenging...he will force me to take breaks I wouldn’t normally.

Also the actual boating part I have a decent amount of experience with...been helping to operate others bots and renting boats for my vacations for years...I finally got sick of having low quality and performance on the rentals as the last one I had the bulge pump was broken when I set out on a long trip and we limped all the way back with the stern almost level with the waterline.

@Link... you will love the pine island sound area. You have to pay attention to chanel markings as it is generally shallow but the scenery, wildlife, and fishing are all top notch.

Here is my first question...

Is the factory boat cover going to be ok for the long over the road? I read some older forum posts that some said it was a problem with the older clips.

Thanks. B

Best of luck on your Journey, I have a 5 year old who’d love a trip like that. Be safe and think twice and you’ll be fine. As for the factory cover, that’s not going to fair well going down the road.

I did the 1300 mile drive towing the boat to FL for the move with our 2.5 year old in the back seat in December. Last October we did over 4k miles to AZ, Grand Canyon and back to MI. He's my little road warrior. Enjoy every mile!And if you'd like, play "best day of my life" by George Strait.

Hahaha.... can tell I don’t have kids. Thought copilot was a dog ..... :confused:

Congrats! Sounds like you have experience with the waters around here, so you know that just because you see a lot of water, doesn't mean a boat can go there. The Pine Island Sound is a great area to cruise in, beautiful beaches, mangroves, nature, fishing, etc.

We took the local power squadron course on Sanibel to get us more familiar with local waters and it is highly recommended. There are also some local waters briefings at St. Charles Yacht Club in Ft. Myers, worth looking up.

Enjoy North Captiva, we've been to Barnacles there many times for tasty grouper sandwiches.

Good luck!

Lake living...I will definitely look up that song.

TomS...we spend at least a month on Captiva every year with a rental boat. We have stayed on North Captiva once before (with the bad boat) but this time we are on the far southern part of North’s Captiva (near the pass with Captiva). I plan to be out every day so if you see me say hello.

If the factory cover is not going to be good as a few people here said what can I do since I’m picking up the boat tomorrow? Does anyone have a suggestion?

Shrink wrap it for transport, though a bit pricey.

Or just take the cover off and pray for nice weather......

Back