Road trip with a pot of gold at the end...

3B229929-4EFF-4198-9034-2776AEB680CA.jpeg My shrink wrap started coming off on my drive down. Had to make some emergency temp repairs on the side of the highway.

See if your dealer has some of the tape they use when shrink wrapping. Tape over the leading edge so air can't get under it, that will help. Make your poles as tense as possible. I have made several trips using mine. Check everything at stops. Do you have a spare or two for the trailer?

Ok so on the recommendations here I contacted my dealer and they coordinated for a shrink wrap tomorrow morning. Means I have to arrive 4 hours earlier than expected to see the boat but not tearing the new cover or messing up boat is worth it.

Big shout out to Jay at Sealand Marine in omaha. They have done an awesome job and been very helpful. I would highly recommend them.

Thanks to the guys here for the info.

Wow ... talk about a dealer bending over backwards ....

Thumbs_Up_Hand_Sign_Emoji_large.png

"Make sure you have the keys... "
I resemble that remark!
:D

Sounds like you have it under control. However if the shrink wrap does not perform or starts to tear I would drive without the mooring cover on rather than having it on as they are not made for the long haul and I would think there is a chance you could ruin the mooring cover. That being said if you do that take out the corner seat cushions that re not hinged as well as anything else that does not feel secure

If you pay the couple hundred plus or so for the shrink wrap, it's only going to be good for the trip down south. What are you going to do for the trip back? You don't want to ruin your mooring cover. Just take it off. If it rains while you're trailering just give the interior a good wipe down when you can. It's a boat it can handle it. Bring some good towels for he trip......

Safe trip.......

Smart move driving through Iowa during the dark. :)

So it was an eventful day...yes all of Iowa was in the dark.

Departed Iowa city at 6am EST and made it to Omaha at 10am with a speeding ticket (that I deserved).

Boat was awesome and Jay and the rest of the team at Sealand did a great job giving me the “walkthrough” and helping me prep it for the long trailering.

Left Omaha with 5/8 tank of gas...why do I mention this? Because my mpg went down to about 5 and by the time the warning light went off it was too late. That right...I ran out of gas. Warning light went off and I looked for a gas station. It was about 12 miles away. I made it 10.5.

Luckily gmc roadside was there in 45 minutes and Simon and I actually had a great time hanging out and playing games such as “count the red cars” while we waited.

It was thankfully uneventful after that and we just stopped in Boonville, Missouri for the night.

Tomorrow we will be at it again but speeding is out of the question now and I’ll be paying really good attention to the gas gauge.

Attachments

• 3FEFA972-C837-4878-9C22-A92D9DC82AF3.jpeg
    3FEFA972-C837-4878-9C22-A92D9DC82AF3.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 3F7DF636-3E48-459C-824C-512FF142337F.jpeg
    3F7DF636-3E48-459C-824C-512FF142337F.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 63
  • ADA1CCFF-DA76-40A6-998D-A27B7C803F5A.jpeg
    ADA1CCFF-DA76-40A6-998D-A27B7C803F5A.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 61
  • F5202E7E-79B9-4AD9-9943-31E229674FDC.jpeg
    F5202E7E-79B9-4AD9-9943-31E229674FDC.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 61
So it was an eventful day...yes all of Iowa was in the dark.

Departed Iowa city at 6am EST and made it to Omaha at 10am with a speeding ticket (that I deserved).

Boat was awesome and Jay and the rest of the team at Sealand did a great job giving me the “walkthrough” and helping me prep it for the long trailering.

Left Omaha with 5/8 tank of gas...why do I mention this? Because my mpg went down to about 5 and by the time the warning light went off it was too late. That right...I ran out of gas. Warning light went off and I looked for a gas station. It was about 12 miles away. I made it 10.5.

Luckily gmc roadside was there in 45 minutes and Simon and I actually had a great time hanging out and playing games such as “count the red cars” while we waited.

It was thankfully uneventful after that and we just stopped in Boonville, Missouri for the night.

Tomorrow we will be at it again but speeding is out of the question now and I’ll be paying really good attention to the gas gauge.
I can see that this will be a fun thread to follow! Safe trip!

I know this is after the fact but, I think I would have left the front bimini off until you got to your first stop.

That is one eventful couple of days!! Bummer on the speeding ticket. Every time I get in this thread that song "Holiday Road" from lampoons vacation starts playing in my head.

You got a 6.2 in that Denali, I hear they are very thirsty, might explain the ticket as well.

My Silverado with a 5.3 got better than 5 mpg pulling mine.

So I normally get just short of 15mpg when not towing. I do have a heavy foot though(as evident by the ticket)

I just stopped for gas again and I am now getting 7mpg while towing. I think I was running it too hard and I’m now attempting to make my accelerations smoother.

This thing is not that heavy (I have towed a 9k trailer before) but the drag effect on this one is strong. It sticks up high and that shrink wrap makes a sail.

Will be interesting to see what mpg I get retiring to ohio without it

Back