Rockford Fosgate 12" Enclosed powered Subwoofer Install??

Justcynn

Reaction score
Taking delivery of the 21 SSXBP in a week or two. Getting excited!

Based on this forums input I bought this sub - thank you! My build has the Kicker stereo upgrade which I believe has the RCA preouts for the sub and also the speaker upgrade but not the amp/sub. I am asking the dealer for a quote to install this since it seems it would be a lot easier to do as it sits on a trailer vs in the water. But what all needs to be done? Run the RCA signal cables from head unit to sub - i plan to place it under the Swingback and then power to the Battery? Do I need a second battery? Any other tips? I am hoping the dealer will just do this for me for a reasonable fee, but in the hottest boat sales season perhaps ever - not taking anything for granted. Thanks for the help!

There is a great post on this forum. Do a search for Rockford Frosgate. My sub just came in. I’m doing the install this week based on this thread. Seems pretty simple.

Thank you! Yes I found the thread. I get my boat Friday and plan to do the install.

Agreed. Very simple install. I connected it to the livewell switch which wasn't being used, and installed the sub under the helm. I didn't run any dedicated wires back to the battery. Works great!

People are amazed at the difference when I run the stereo for a while, then turn on the sub and it kicks in.

I got the 12 inch sub. I don't play tunes loud on the lake, I just like full rich sound. The sub kicks out a ton of base. So much that I barely have it turned on (gain/volume settings are barely on).

This is an awesome upgrade for the money. Pretty sure I paid $160 from Amazon. It was an open box item, but showed up without the remote control knob, so I called Amazon and they gave me the option of sending it to me, or more discount. I took the money. Never needed the extra knob.

Last edited:
I looked it up on Amazon, and it showed I purchased this 2 years ago for $160, then they offered me $50 for the missing control wire, so $125 net with tax.

Agreed. Very simple install. I connected it to the livewell switch which wasn't being used, and installed the sub under the helm. I didn't run any dedicated wires back to the battery. Works great!

People are amazed at the difference when I run the stereo for a while, then turn on the sub and it kicks in.

I got the 12 inch sub. I don't play tunes loud on the lake, I just like full rich sound. The sub kicks out a ton of base. So much that I barely have it turned on (gain/volume settings are barely on).

This is an awesome upgrade for the money. Pretty sure I paid $160 from Amazon. It was an open box item, but showed up without the remote control knob, so I called Amazon and they gave me the option of sending it to me, or more discount. I took the money. Never needed the extra knob.
Hi, How did you connect to the live well switch? Thanks for any help!!

I was under the impression the live well was on a 5 amp breaker?? I have to assume the rockford setup draws more than 5 amps with any volume? You have had no issues with this?

Back