Rod Holders

mizzle54

Reaction score
Last year my hubby and I purchased a Bennington 22 SLX.  We love the boat and have had alot of fun in the last year. Looking forward to this year on the water. My question is this.  We would like to put fishing rod holders somewhere on the boat but don't really want to drill into anything.  Does anyone know if a good rod holder that can possibly attach to the railing or the tow bar on the back of the boat?  The cushions on the seats pretty much cover the railing on most of the boat except on the doors so not sure where we could mount something.  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Amazon has a Scotty's rod holder with a square mount for pontoon rails, I have 7 of them and they are awesome. They are $22.34 from Amazon.

Taco makes some great stuff.  I used some of their products on my SW boat.

It is hard to find a good spot on an S due to rail design and to keep room for the cover to fit/snap. I've not installed any yet but I am thinking the ski tow bar is the best place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon has a Scotty's rod holder with a square mount for pontoon rails, I have 7 of them and they are awesome. They are $22.34 from Amazon.
Scotty is what I use. I have about 5 mounts around the boat, with several different attachments for various rod holders, cup holders, etc. They are good quality.

Yep, Scottys are great. I have 2 or 3 on my stern gate. Then one on each Bimini strut that I can swing up to mount camera or rod on it.

Semp - Your photo has me wondering if one of those base brackets would fit on one of the front bimini struts (the one in front of the captain's chair in particular) so you could pop in a rear view mirror whenever you needed to, but still be able to fold the bimini down (after popping the mirror out) without that base part crunching into one of the other bimini legs...   

I'm off topic.

I could put a rod holder there though, so back on topic.

Dan, yes as long as it's 1-1/4" square tubing, no problem. The only issue is it would be at the strut angle so the mirror would have to have adjustment like my photo. I put my rod mount in the one in the photo, stick my fly rod in it, then flip the arm up and the rod swings 90 degrees parallel to the top fence rail. It's great for my fly rod as it's much longer than my other rods and hits the bridges when we go under. We also have 2 metal Taco rod holders on the arms of the ladder. I'll try to find my pic of those.

Here's the Tacos on the ladder. I got these off eBay.

c2f803a8e2565e5e3110c1c9b617c007.jpg

I am still trying to figure out a solution for my self.  Hate to say it, but I am thinking of adding some holes.

Using something like this: Angler's Fish-n-Mate Four (4) Rod Boat Console Rack Holder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NZWPT0/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_zTIixb5GQG66N

And putting it here (just under the Hall's dealership badge): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ITtDRJOnroOTBaS0lfcWx5dGc/view?usp=docslist_api

JaccFrost - What did you end up doing?  I'm looking for a solution as well.  I like the Taco Metals Aluminum rod holders for transporting fishing rods, but would definitely like something to mount on the rails that would not require drilling and be easy to put on and take off.  Something aluminum or stainless would be nice.

Taco Metals Aluminum 4-Rod Holder:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HBVVSG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=7AEQCVMXMY1J&coliid=I3LZBG82EJXQXP

JaccFrost - What did you end up doing?  I'm looking for a solution as well.  I like the Taco Metals Aluminum rod holders for transporting fishing rods, but would definitely like something to mount on the rails that would not require drilling and be easy to put on and take off.  Something aluminum or stainless would be nice.

Taco Metals Aluminum 4-Rod Holder:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HBVVSG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=7AEQCVMXMY1J&coliid=I3LZBG82EJXQXP

I haven't actually come to a solution add of yet.  Not really happy with my options for various reasons.  Seems no matter where I want to put them, they kind of interfere with something else.  Behind the sun pad,  interferes with sitting on the sun pad.  Of the front,  interferes with line of sight.  Off the side,  difficult to get to.  I kind of think a ski bar,  the larges ones that make a big "U-ish" shape by the motor might be a good idea with individual holders. 

I just ordered two more Scotty 241 mounts I'm going to put just behind my SS lights then use the Scotty Bazooka tubes. Easily removable and out of the way. 

You might look into them??

I just ordered two more Scotty 241 mounts I'm going to put just behind my SS lights then use the Scotty Bazooka tubes. Easily removable and out of the way. 

You might look into them??

Please post pictures once you get them installed. :)

Back