Ropes, bungees and/or clips?

Michael Lyman

Reaction score
I am a new Bennington owner and plan on docking my Bennington 21 footer at an inland lake. I bought ropes and have been learning knots. I will leave my boat docked for the summer and use mostly on the weekends.

• I have also seen and was wondering if a cleat knot is acceptable to tie up and leave during the week?
  • Also, have looked at ropes with clips and bungee ropes with cleats. Seems like it would make life easier and more secure since I will be an hour away from the dock Any suggestions on using these (pros/cons) and if so how do I know what size of these to get? Any recommended products?
Thanks in advance for the input

I am a new Bennington owner and plan on docking my Bennington 21 footer at an inland lake. I bought ropes and have been learning knots. I will leave my boat docked for the summer and use mostly on the weekends.

• I have also seen and was wondering if a cleat knot is acceptable to tie up and leave during the week?
  • Also, have looked at ropes with clips and bungee ropes with cleats. Seems like it would make life easier and more secure since I will be an hour away from the dock Any suggestions on using these (pros/cons) and if so how do I know what size of these to get? Any recommended products?

We keep ours on a lift most of the time. However, when just tied up to the dock we switched to these Zipdock ropes. We LOVE them! Very easy to use, and so dock friendly. However, if away for awhile, I’d want secondary lines for security. But when around (we have a cottage and our own dock), these are great.

http://thezipdock.com/where-to-buy-the-zip-dock.html

We use cleat hitch for years and years. We figure 8 once or twice then a hitch over each horn. Holds like a rock. We also have secondary’s “just in case”. I’ve always been more worried about the dock cleat coming loose than my lines.

+1 to Dave’s method. All we’ve ever done also. Pontoon as well as with our previous boats.

Welcome to the forum Michael. You never mentioned where or how your boat will be tied up. Is it going to be in a slip? Where you can have multiple tie points. Is it against a dock? Is it in a No Wake zone with calm water or in the main channel where it could bang against the slip or dock when boats go by? All important factors. Did you buy bumpers?

Mine is tied to a dock and I've left it for decent stretches of time just tying cleat hitches. The important thing is to use quality lines rated to hold more than the weight of your boat (think tides, wind, waves, wakes etc). Also, use a spring line in addition to your bow and stern lines. Some folks use 2.

We use cleat hitch for years and years. We figure 8 once or twice then a hitch over each horn. Holds like a rock. We also have secondary’s “just in case”. I’ve always been more worried about the dock cleat coming loose than my lines.

Thanks, didn't think about cleats, will makes sure they are secure.

Welcome to the forum Michael. You never mentioned where or how your boat will be tied up. Is it going to be in a slip? Where you can have multiple tie points. Is it against a dock? Is it in a No Wake zone with calm water or in the main channel where it could bang against the slip or dock when boats go by? All important factors. Did you buy bumpers?

@BigKahuna thanks. There are cleats on the dock, one towards the bow and stern of course. I believe there is one or two up front as well (cleats), there are two boats in each slip (I'm on the left side). It will be against the dock. I have 4 bumpers, could get more. Was going to use 2-3 on dock side and 2 up front, should I put on right side where other boat would be? I am lucky that the marina is in a cove area and about 15 boats on each dock. We are in towards land and bridge 3 in so should be protected. Appreciate any thoughts.

Mine is tied to a dock and I've left it for decent stretches of time just tying cleat hitches. The important thing is to use quality lines rated to hold more than the weight of your boat (think tides, wind, waves, wakes etc). Also, use a spring line in addition to your bow and stern lines. Some folks use 2.[/QUOTE

thanks

I used pre-spliced dock line and attach to the cleat on the boat then figure eight the remaining line to the cleat on the dock. I don't use a spring line but it's not a bad idea. I also use a latch connected to the hole on top of the front of the pontoons and attach those to cleats on the dock. If the cleats were not on the front of the dock I wouldn't worry about this but I do it since they are there.

I've done it this way for 20 years on various boats and never had a problem.

I used pre-spliced dock line and attach to the cleat on the boat then figure eight the remaining line to the cleat on the dock. I don't use a spring line but it's not a bad idea. I also use a latch connected to the hole on top of the front of the pontoons and attach those to cleats on the dock. If the cleats were not on the front of the dock I wouldn't worry about this but I do it since they are there.

I've done it this way for 20 years on various boats and never had a problem.
thanks @Shawn

@BigKahuna thanks. There are cleats on the dock, one towards the bow and stern of course. I believe there is one or two up front as well (cleats), there are two boats in each slip (I'm on the left side). It will be against the dock. I have 4 bumpers, could get more. Was going to use 2-3 on dock side and 2 up front, should I put on right side where other boat would be? I am lucky that the marina is in a cove area and about 15 boats on each dock. We are in towards land and bridge 3 in so should be protected. Appreciate any thoughts.
Yes definitely put a few on the side where the other boat will be. Can never have too much protection ..

Back