Rough Steering

MoxieMoxie

Reaction score
I have a brand new SX22 with a 150 Mercury with hydraulic steering that I can best describe as "rough". When the engine is off - smooth as butter. When the engine is idling - smooth as butter. When underway at any speed and you turn the wheel more than a quarter turn it's difficult and feels like it's rubbing/grinding in both directions. Has been like this since I took delivery. I'm not able to get it to the local service center for several weeks. Any ideas on a quick fix?

My guess is that it has air bubbles in hydraulic system that wasn't bled properly. There are Youtube videos on bleeding system but if done wrong can make a mess so make dealer check it out as they should have taken care of it when they tested it out. Maybe they can send a mechanic to you as they owe you.

My guess is that it has air bubbles in hydraulic system that wasn't bled properly. There are Youtube videos on bleeding system but if done wrong can make a mess so make dealer check it out as they should have taken care of it when they tested it out. Maybe they can send a mechanic to you as they owe you.

First thing is to talk to your dealer and see if they have any suggestions. Don't walk into the conversation with the attitude that "they owe you" cuz they don't owe you anything! Obviously a good dealer will try to do what they can, but Cadillac doesn't send a mechanic to your house to change a transmission in your driveway.

Did you notice the issue when water testing the boat? If so that would have been the time to mention, so possibly it is something that failed after the fact. I would also check the hydraulic lines that run to the back and see if you notice any leakage. Hopefully it is something simple, such as air in the line as mentioned, and maybe the dealer will go above and beyond and come to your boat.

Back