Rough water, dented front right panel!

Chris Z

Reaction score
Over stayed our welcome out at a favorite beach this past Saturday afternoon on the eastern shore of Lake Ontario as the wind and seas built. When we finally pulled anchor there were 2 to 3's with an occasional four rolling out in the deeper water.

Anyway, moving too slowly while getting the anchor up and stowed I took a couple of very green ones over the bow at about a 45 degree angle. Washed the carpets and left a medium sized dent in the starboard bow panel. Looks almost like you pushed it in a bit with your hand.

Once we got the boat out into open water and got the bow in the air the ride was not nearly as exciting as we worked our way back to the inlet to Sandy Pond but after we were tied to my dock I had to do a lot of drying and deal with some learned lessons.

First, the boat did very well in the slop considering where we were and I was idling out of a beach area. Definitely not the most seaworthy position for any limited freeboard boat to be in. Yes, we scooped some green water but it flowed straight through and out the back gate. Hooray for the straight-thru layout.

Second, once I could get on the throttle and get the bow in the air it became a different boat. I ran back to the inlet at about 15 mph basically slipping from wave top to wave top taking full advantage of those big, fat pontoons and lifting strakes. I was very glad it wasn't any rougher than it had gotten but did not feel that we were having any problems. However... I would not have wanted to stop for any reason in that building mess.

And finally, and this is still a lesson unfolding, I have to fix that front panel. The boat is still too new to be wearing that kind of badge of honor. Talked with a couple of neighbors and we're going to try to gently pull the dent out with a suction cup meant for bodywork. If that doesn't quite work I'll have to pull the lounge and see what we can do from behind. (Anyone ever pull these lounges out? Is it straightforward?)

I've looked through pictures others have posted and thankfully my damage is nowhere near that bad. I'll post a couple of snaps when I get get back to camp and open the boat back up later in the week.

I had a similar experience 2 weeks after I got my new Bennington. I was at an inlet and boats were flying by churning up the water with 4 foot swells. I got stopped by the cops for a check since I didn’t have my numbers yet, but before I could get up in a plane I took a 4 foot wake over my bow.

Fortunately I didn’t have any panel damage. Once I got on a plane all was fine. It handles that rough water so nicely.

Given the ridges the dent puller might not get a good seal. Bummer on the damage for sure

Last edited:
I haven't seen the "dent puller" yet, might too hard a rubber for this. If I have to I'll pull the lounge out and gently work it from behind.

Lakeliving is right. The dent puller didn't work on my boat when Carl's (God rest his soul) boat hit mine when we were side by side in the main channel. Can't get a good seal because of the ridges. I called 2 dent wizard places and they wouldn't touch it because of the ridges and it was on a pontoon boat. Your best bet would be to remove the lounger and try to work it out the best you can. Our dent is in a fully accessible rear storage area and we did the best that we could pushing it out but because of the ridges it will never be the way it was. ..

I wish I had snapped a picture of it to share before I left on Sunday. I will post a few with whatever method works and the results.

I've heard the one tool that fixes any damage is a wallet! If you're lucky you can get away with the 6-pack tool.

I've heard the one tool that fixes any damage is a wallet! If you're lucky you can get away with the 6-pack tool.
Another tool is insurance. (Ha! I'm telling an insurance guy) Carl wanted to submit the damage to my boat to his insurance company. But we told him no. We can live with that. It wasn't his fault. We were side by side in the main channel and some waves caught us by surprise......

Oh my, too many options to try before we rub it with money. :cool:

I would guess by doing it that way we would have to replace the entire starboard side fence front to back since I've read that the they are provided by Bennington together. This really isn't that bad. Water is a much blunter instrument than another part of another boat. Once again, wish I had snapped a pic or two.

The loungers on my former Benny (2001 ) were surprisingly easy to remove when I redid the flooring. As I recall, just 4 or so 2" or 3" SS sheet metal/wood screws holding it to the deck.

The loungers on my former Benny (2001 ) were surprisingly easy to remove when I redid the flooring. As I recall, just 4 or so 2" or 3" SS sheet metal/wood screws holding it to the deck.

That should be it, plus might have to loosen wiring, which may have some slack coiled up underneath deck. I’d get a Formica “j-roller” and gently roll panel from backside to work it out.

Thanks for the notes on seat removal and advice. I have a small roller that I can use and with some luck things will pop back into place.

Thanks for the notes on seat removal and advice. I have a small roller that I can use and with some luck things will pop back into place.

speaking of driving in rough water , now in my third year boating I was out in high winds, 3 to 4 foot waves for first time Saturday . My 20slmx / 25"toons / 90 HP was great into the waves , stayed high and dry. Driving with the waves was more challenging taking water over the bow,no damage. Any tips on driving with the waves from the experienced out there?

Thanks for all the encouraging notes, repairs are complete, looks just about like new. Took the front, starboard seat out to get to the bow panel that was pushed in. That was in and of itself an adventure. If you go here, know that the screws through the rails are bolts with nylon nuts and washers well up and hard to see. The screws through the bottom are wood screws that are easy to see and deal with.

The large section of my dent popped back out with a slight push without a trace. This was in the large front flat section of the bow. As you approach the curve a bit of stretching occurred and we found it very helpful to work on the lower track that had clearly tried to open a wee bit with the bending. A rubber mallet and heavy towel to strike through were the tools of choice along with a small roller.

The biggest trick was to be patient and work everything back in place without overdoing it and damaging the aluminum and finish. It was hot, there was lots of sweat and some blood... but not on the light upholstery.

When repairs were complete and the seat was back in place you would never know that anything was damaged aside from the smear of finger prints.

I know that I promised pictures but the stress for me was high, my OCD was killing me as I took the boat apart. Forgive me and be glad that all is now good. :D

Fantastic!!!

Saved yourself your deductible or about $2500 so nice work

Back