Routine Motor Maintenance Question?

dmdword

Reaction score
So... Been a Bennington owner for 5 years now and just ordered a new one. Old boat has a 150 Yamaha outboard which I have maintained yearly with regular oil changes. Other than this, I have done nothing to the motor. While at the boat show, other dealers were telling me I needed to do other type maintenance to the engine. Of course this has been months ago and I have now forgotten. The only one I could remember was the water impeller should be changed every 1-3 years depending on what type of lake you are in. He recommended every 2 years because my lake is considered "a muddy lake." I've upgraded to the 300hp yamaha and I want to make sure I'm maintaining the motor the best way possible. Plus... my father in law is getting my old boat and want to make sure he is doing the same since I'm attached to my old boat, haha. Just wanted to make a checklist to keep handy as the years go by. Thanks guys!

I think the best source for the recommended service is the manual. Keeping up in the service is always a good thing, letting is lapse could haunt you later on. I just had mine serviced and even though the impeller wasn't really due I had them change it out anyways just for peace of mine. The old one looked fine but I'm not one to take chances considering the potential damage that could be done to that expensive motor.

I do our impellor every 5 years. I also have a water pressure gauge so I can keep an eye on it's performance. You should also change the lower unit gear oil and remove the prop to check the seal and grease the prop shaft. Gauge is on the right.

I change the oil once a season. Change the gear oil in the lower unit once every other year. and Impeller every season. As others have said, its peace of mind! We spend allot of $ on these boats and expect them to run perfectly every time we turn the key. Preventative maintenance is my way of saying thanks to my boat!

Back