Running 4g wire to battery power

DC2011

Reaction score
I have read others having this same issue without a resolution and wanted to inquire for some help myself. I have a 2002 2275RL with an 4.3MPI inboard that I want to hook up a stereo Amp However since the bottom is all enclosed I can't seem to find a good path for running my wires from the battery to the amp under the helm.

I thought I had a solution where all the wires and cables run from the engine compartment through a bulk head however I stuck a flashlight through the bulk head and turned the lights off in my garage and NO light shined through. I also have two batteries and want to avoid running any wires above flooring. Any clues/help?

Well first of all you're going to need two wires. One (+) and one (-).

You see, unlike with a car, you can't simply bring power to a component and then ground to the frame.

The rest of this is without seeing your boat in person, so it may not work.

Get a wire coat hanger out, cut off the bottom and then bend one end of that piece of metal to form a loop. You want a narrow, elongated loop rather than a big round one, and needle nose pliers work best.

Once you have your "fish wire" made, try poking it through the existing pass-through. You MAY have to go through TWO holes if you have a raised helm... I honestly don't know.

If you can get the tool all the way through so you can see it protruding on both sides, then you can use it to pull your new wires through. If it's tight, a little dish washing detergent can ease things along.

You can of course always drill your own passages, but you want to be REAL careful about that, so it's usually better to try fishing the wires through first.

Well first of all you're going to need two wires. One (+) and one (-).

You see, unlike with a car, you can't simply bring power to a component and then ground to the frame.

The rest of this is without seeing your boat in person, so it may not work.

Get a wire coat hanger out, cut off the bottom and then bend one end of that piece of metal to form a loop. You want a narrow, elongated loop rather than a big round one, and needle nose pliers work best.

Once you have your "fish wire" made, try poking it through the existing pass-through. You MAY have to go through TWO holes if you have a raised helm... I honestly don't know.

If you can get the tool all the way through so you can see it protruding on both sides, then you can use it to pull your new wires through. If it's tight, a little dish washing detergent can ease things along.

You can of course always drill your own passages, but you want to be REAL careful about that, so it's usually better to try fishing the wires through first.

Thanks ericsher for taking the time to respond. Actually I have a wire feeder and know where my wires leave the helm and leave the bulk head in the engine compartment however my real issue is even after I run the feeder wire through the acces points I cannot visually see where it goes due to the entire boat is enclosed on the underneath.

I'm gonna give it another try over the weekend, hopefully I can find a good solution. Really looking forward to boosting up my speakers for some good sound.

Well, the last suggestion I have without SEEING your boat is that you buy a "Fish Tape" at the hardware store. A 25 foot tape should be enough.

Unless you already own one of course, and that's what you meant by "wire feeder".

Oh, you know..? Something else occurred to me.

Although you mentioned that the entire underside of your deck is covered, presumably with a wave-shield or something similar; you might find that you have access to the underside of the deck if you look outboard of the outer pontoons on both the starboard and port sides, although starboard is more important.

You may find that you can route your wire around the underside of the deck lip and then sneak it topside either directly into the console from below, or up between the console and fence, the into the console underside through a small, unobtrusive and grommeted hole.

Hey DC, I am really interested in how you solve this. I plan on adding some stereo equipment this fall. My boat is also underskined and short of removing the underskinning I'm not sure how this can be done. Have you thought about asking your dealer for suggestions? My dealer is adding a second battery to mine and will have to run some wires underneath when I asked him how he was going to do it he just laughed and said they are really good

I will definitely share my solution with you guys once I figure this out. There is very little room to see just under the deck from the starboard side for trying to view a fish wire. I will give it another shot this weekend and give all an update. I'm sure we will find a way:) TBD

Back