Rusty ski tow bar

rodsfields

Reaction score
I just bought a brand new 2019 Bennington 22ssrxp, with the ski tow bar in May this year. I keep it rinsed off and wiped down, but the “stainless steel” tow bar is rusting very badly, specifically the smaller support struts. The large main bar seems to be fine. Anyone else having this issue? I’m submitting for warranty claim

Attachments

• 6C6D0E46-B00B-41B3-92A7-4B7FCDE34C83.jpeg
    6C6D0E46-B00B-41B3-92A7-4B7FCDE34C83.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 63
  • 5FC5C60B-C6A2-4237-8ABF-6724DB9D5779.jpeg
    5FC5C60B-C6A2-4237-8ABF-6724DB9D5779.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 8E7B09E7-6060-4658-9377-F6F4663B377A.jpeg
    8E7B09E7-6060-4658-9377-F6F4663B377A.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 60
Looks like acid damage to me. Either that, or a defective plating job. As long as you weren't the one to damage it, warranty should cover it.

Looks like acid damage to me. Either that, or a defective plating job. As long as you weren't the one to damage it, warranty should cover it.
Definitely haven’t used Acid, and have just used water and soap, just like the on the back bar, which is rust free. I think they got a bad batch of tubing. Stainless steel isn’t plated it’s passivated, but if there is too much iron content, it will rust.

I just bought a brand new 2019 Bennington 22ssrxp, with the ski tow bar in May this year. I keep it rinsed off and wiped down, but the “stainless steel” tow bar is rusting very badly, specifically the smaller support struts. The large main bar seems to be fine. Anyone else having this issue? I’m submitting for warranty claim
No issues here ! But never saw that before. Only 4 months old . Keep us informed.

That looks really bad and you shouldn't have to rinse it off and wipe it down in WI. I had a similar rusting issue with with two cleats on my new 2019 22GSR before the boat was even on the water. They were replaced with no problem. Makes me wonder if they have a manufacturing issue or possible something occurred during transport such as salt.

That looks really bad and you shouldn't have to rinse it off and wipe it down in WI. I had a similar rusting issue with with two cleats on my new 2019 22GSR before the boat was even on the water. They were replaced with no problem. Makes me wonder if they have a manufacturing issue or possible something occurred during transport such as salt.
Well I live in Florida and use the boat exclusively in saltwater, however don’t have this problem on any other stainless parts on the boat. Either it’s the wrong steel, not enough chromium, or they didn’t passivate it properly.

Damn! So much for stainless steel!

Looks like a bad batch of tubing. Glad that they're in the process of addressing the issue.

Mine is holding up fine after 18 months in a salt water environment. Good thing you bought new and have that warranty!

Last edited:
Never saw that on a newer boat. Glad it is getting taken care of for you. Enjoy the boat!

I've been on this site a little more than 8 years, and I've never seen this sort of thing posted. The stark difference between the rusted tube and the larger one that's not says it was a bad batch. If it was something that happened after the boat was assembled, you'd think the large tube would look identical, yet there's not a spot of rust on it. And both small tubes on both sides rusted. Never seen this before, here or elsewhere. Glad it's being taken care of for you!

Back