Salt stain on pontoons

Pbakk

Reaction score
Hello, dealer sold me a new Bennington that has salt stains on pontoons. Gave me a discount and now I am wondering if I made a bad move. Could this impact the strength of the toons over time? Will I regret it 10 or 15 years from now?

Attachments

• 58471310-F6F3-4972-9B65-CED1ED95B28A.jpeg
    58471310-F6F3-4972-9B65-CED1ED95B28A.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 52
I doubt it. Looks to me like it's just some minor surface staining. I'd probably just clean them up a bit and add Sharkhide protectant. My .02.

It almost looks like some acid wash splattered on it.....Are all the toons like that?

Thanks for the responses. Both the toons are like that.

Dealer said it was oxidation from snow trucks during heavy winter snowfall. He tried not to use “salt” when discussing the issue but I pushed him saying that regular snow shouldn’t do that.

This is a very large dealer selling over 400 pontoons bad they have a large storage lot.

Dealer said they tried to remove the marks but were unsuccessful. I also had two cleats on one side that looked like the chrome was pealing off and they agreed to replace them.

Ugh - I should have just paid for a “clean” one to worry. Thanks again for the feedback.

Another picture.

Attachments

• 56D7B4DE-9351-4CF4-9650-514A8A07BEC0.jpeg
    56D7B4DE-9351-4CF4-9650-514A8A07BEC0.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 34
In the future after your toons get a little older or you keep them in the water for a period of time and they get dirty.......Some good old acid wash will clean them and those "salt" stains right up.......

Hello, it is a basic 22 GSR with a 115 but we love it at this point, except the salt stains. :-(

Attachments

• Pontoon 2019 a.jpg
    Pontoon 2019 a.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Pontoon 2019 c.jpg
    Pontoon 2019 c.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 34
  • Pontoon 2019 d inter.jpg
    Pontoon 2019 d inter.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 34
Two cleats on the port side were also damaged.

Attachments

• Cleats.jpg
    Cleats.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 22
Overall, it looks like a GREAT boat. The good news is you don’t see your pontoons when boating. ;)

Also, some good ideas above for trying to get rid of them. Good luck and happy boating on your new pontoon.

Buyers remorse can be a bi*** sometimes, but like BK said, they get dirty/discolor over time. Get them acid washed, or polished ... and enjoy ... ;)

Ditto Semper. I had a hard time my first two years with a cosmetic blemish that came with my brand new ordered boat on our port pontoon. It still bugs me, but mainly just how it was handled (ignored) by dealer and Bennington. After adding a couple of dings of my own docking in years 1 and 2, it’s a little easier to overlook the small stuff and focus on just having a blast with the boat. ;)

Last edited:
Trust me. Brand new toon with Sharkhide. Both sides have different colored aluminum chambers. Ones shinier than the other. So front chamber has different sheen than rear chamber. I’m guessing two different lots of aluminum running down two different production lines. Drove me nuts first month or two ... now I don’t even notice. Good thing is, I’ve seen it on a ton of other ones AND other brands.

Warning: a poor acid wash can do more harm than good. Ask me how I know. I honestly would leave them alone or have them covered unless you really trust your dealers' service department to do a good job.

Back