Salt water vs Fresh water?

Michael Lyman

Reaction score
I am loosely thinking about getting a new boat. Currently have a 22 foot Bennington with a 115. We currently keep ours docked at an inland lake in northeast Ohio and enjoy my Bennington a great deal! We will be here for a few years but eventually will be in Florida in salt water.

Any thoughts on what are important items to have on a new boat for salt water usage?
Also, would appreciate any thoughts on things to know about saltwater boating versus freshwater? I’ve rented several times in Florida but appreciate owner insights.

Thanks.

One’s much saltier than the other. Bring your margarita glasses with you so you can dip the rims in the water. Seriously, though, a proper under deck hosing and engine flush with fresh water can help. Also need sacrificial anodes. There are other considerations if you leave in the water or trailer/lift.

Hopefully Lakeliving will chime in. From Michigan but has moved to Florida and took his Benny with him........

Smart planning ahead if you think you’ll ultimately be in salt water. When we ordered ours we still lived in Michigan but three years later we found ourselves heading to the sunshine state. We ordered the saltwater series option and made sure we had sealed strakes as well. I would recommend getting at least the SPS package and a 150. It’s amazing how much wake some of the other boats generate down here. I’ll also go suggest a vinyl floor so the sand is easy to sweep off. Power steering is also great as tides and wind will try to throw you in the dock!!

One’s much saltier than the other. Bring your margarita glasses with you so you can dip the rims in the water. Seriously, though, a proper under deck hosing and engine flush with fresh water can help. Also need sacrificial anodes. There are other considerations if you leave in the water or trailer/lift.
thanks, good stuff and margarita glasses on order!

Smart planning ahead if you think you’ll ultimately be in salt water. When we ordered ours we still lived in Michigan but three years later we found ourselves heading to the sunshine state. We ordered the saltwater series option and made sure we had sealed strakes as well. I would recommend getting at least the SPS package and a 150. It’s amazing how much wake some of the other boats generate down here. I’ll also go suggest a vinyl floor so the sand is easy to sweep off. Power steering is also great as tides and wind will try to throw you in the dock!!
Great stuff....thanks

Ditto everything said above. Way to be ahead of things now. P.S. Yes, you can use a saltwater package Bennington in fresh water. No downside there whatsoever other than the increased cost without utilizing its saltwater benefits. However, once you head to saltwater with it (and insuring you have fresh anodes on it, you will good to go. I would also strongly echo a 150HP or higher for the reasons Lakeliving mentioned. For hull, either an SPS or ESP tritoon, or the larger size dual Elliptical pontoons. Again, for the reasons Lakeliving mentioned.

Thanks, assume I can use in fresh water until needed...hopefully sooner than later

Yes, but you should have freshwater anodes installed, and switch out when dropping in saltwater.

Hey SEMPERFI8387 what the hell is an anodes? What's the difference in salt or fresh water?
The anode protects the other metals on your boat from galvanic corrosion. Without that, your engine and pontoons will begin to corrode. Aluminum anodes can be used in both fresh and salt water. Zinc is saltwater only and magnesium is for freshwater only.

The anode protects the other metals on your boat from galvanic corrosion. Without that, your engine and pontoons will begin to corrode. Aluminum anodes can be used in both fresh and salt water. Zinc is saltwater only and magnesium is for freshwater only.
So is it a part or like something you apply to the metal ?

They bolt to the brackets on the back of the toons. There is also a couple on the motor.

So is it a part or like something you apply to the metal ?
You’re engine comes with two anodes - one is the trim tab, bolted to the lower unit above the prop. The other is located on the bottom of you’re motor bracket. You should also have one or two mounted to the rear of your pontoons. Some trailers also have anodes installed, especially if they’re used in salt water.

You’re engine comes with two anodes - one is the trim tab, bolted to the lower unit above the prop. The other is located on the bottom of you’re motor bracket. You should also have one or two mounted to the rear of your pontoons. Some trailers also have anodes installed, especially if they’re used in salt water.
Interesting ! I Would it be asking to much for pictures of them ? Thanks for the information!

Interesting ! I Would it be asking to much for pictures of them ? Thanks for the information!
There’s all different sizes and designs based on placement. Just do a google search.

Here is an excellent article from the BoatUS magazine just recently posted by Dan F (another Bennington member) in another thread. It is highly recommended reading for this thread too!

https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/expert-advice-archive/2012/july/types-of-marine-corrosion
The above link contains most of what there is to know about anodes and what problems they can, or can't, help avoid. Maybe more than you want to know, but it is the off-season.....

Back