Sand anchor

1Tiredlady

Reaction score
What's a good beach anchor? We have purchased the small box anchor but are planning a trip to the river. Our friends all drag their boats up on the sand but our boat is new and we don't want to ruin the sharkhide. We plan on using both.

1TiredLady,

We boat on the Parker Strip (Parker Az.) and we use a standard Fluke style anchor on our Bennington 22 SSI. It holds the boat well in the sandy bottom. A lot of river boaters swear by the Box anchor! If it gets windy and choppy not much will hold a pontoon boat because they catch so much wind and drag most anchors.

RiverBill

Last edited by a moderator:
cwag911,

She doesn’t want to beach her Bennington, I think she is looking for an anchor to hold the boat off shore.

RiverBill

I think you can use that to anchor to the beach and another off the stern to keep it from moving. But not actually put the boat on the beach

Thanks for all the fast replies. The slide anchor looks like just what we need. We should be able to use the box anchor in the water and the slide near the beach. Now all I need is a chance to get our new benny in the water. We are headed back to the dealer tomorrow to get a few details taken care of, then hopefully we will take our maiden voyage next weekend. Woo Hoo

Good Luck with the new Bennington! Enjoy the river, but watch out for the sand bars!

PS: You can save yourself some money by using the large dog leash anchor. It looks like a giant cork screw, you twist it into the ground on the beach. It has a swivel for the boat line, works great, easy to store and available at Petsmart!

RiverBill

River Bill;

I went ahead and ordered the slide sand anchor although I have one of the dog things and was thinking that myself. I would be afraid to leave it overnight with that though. Any tips on where the best places to camp at the river or Havasu? We are headed near Blythe the week after Memorial Day.

Leslie

Leslie,

There are some great camping areas by Cattail Cove, down the lake from Havasu. Good protected coves if you are boat camping. Cattail Cove is a state park with camping sites. It’s between Havasu City and Parker Dam on the Az side of the lake. Less crowded, get your camp site early and pay the fee! Rangers come by everyday and check to see if you paid for overnight camping! Also good boat camping areas by Havasu Spring (Parker Dam). Some have sandy beaches, but they are taken early! Great skiing, tubing & fishing. Also Havasu Spring has a full service marina (fuel, food, store, restaurant, bar, repairs and camping). We love the lower part of the lake, less people! But you can always head to the London Bridge to hang with the crazys!

RiverBill

Hey Bill,

Thanks for all the recommendations (wow that looks like a long word). I will definitely look into these places. We went to Lake Elsinore this weekend, pretty much decided we were not going there again. Oh the drama, but still had a good time.

Leslie

Back