Sanding Pontoon for Salt Damage

Pbakk

Reaction score
Hello,

My pontoon has what looks to be salt damage. The dealer originally said it was just oxidation, caused by snow piles, and that it would blend in after some use in the water. After a season of use, I am thinking that it was more than just "snow piles" in the parking lot and that my guess is that the boat was transported in MN during salty road conditions and it was never rinsed. The picture is representative of the both tubes, both inside (under deck) and outside (viewed as in picture).

I am wondering if anybody has tried sanding pontoons similar to AL sport wheels on cars. Below is what I found on the internet.

Step 1
Sand the wheels with 220-grit sandpaper. Sand the entire surface but focus on sanding the pitted areas until they are smooth. Rinse the wheel to see your progress.
Step 2
Sand the wheel again using 400-grit sandpaper and water. Keep the sandpaper wet while you are sanding the wheel. Smooth the surface by sanding evenly over the entire wheel. Rinse the wheel to check your progress when you are finished sanding.

Step 3
Use 800-grit sandpaper and water to sand the wheel. The 800-grit sandpaper and water makes the aluminum wheel as smooth as a new wheel. Rinse and let the wheel dry completely.
Step 4
Spray three coats of clear-coat paint on the aluminum wheels. Hold the spray can 10 inches from the surface and move the can left and right when spraying, not around. Wait 10 minutes between each coat before applying the next.

Thanks for any advice that you may have.

Attachments

• IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0676.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 65
Hello,

My pontoon has what looks to be salt damage. The dealer originally said it was just oxidation, caused by snow piles, and that it would blend in after some use in the water. After a season of use, I am thinking that it was more than just "snow piles" in the parking lot and that my guess is that the boat was transported in MN during salty road conditions and it was never rinsed. The picture is representative of the both tubes, both inside (under deck) and outside (viewed as in picture).

I am wondering if anybody has tried sanding pontoons similar to AL sport wheels on cars. Below is what I found on the internet.

Step 1
Sand the wheels with 220-grit sandpaper. Sand the entire surface but focus on sanding the pitted areas until they are smooth. Rinse the wheel to see your progress.
Step 2
Sand the wheel again using 400-grit sandpaper and water. Keep the sandpaper wet while you are sanding the wheel. Smooth the surface by sanding evenly over the entire wheel. Rinse the wheel to check your progress when you are finished sanding.

Step 3
Use 800-grit sandpaper and water to sand the wheel. The 800-grit sandpaper and water makes the aluminum wheel as smooth as a new wheel. Rinse and let the wheel dry completely.
Step 4
Spray three coats of clear-coat paint on the aluminum wheels. Hold the spray can 10 inches from the surface and move the can left and right when spraying, not around. Wait 10 minutes between each coat before applying the next.

Thanks for any advice that you may have.
Consult with your dealer before doing anything. The boat is under warranty. Do you mean that it was transported from the factory to MN for delivery??? This happened during transport? If so Bennington/your dealer should be able to make this right. Contact them before sanding anything.......

Thanks for the reply BigKahuna.

I am guessing that the damage occurred during transport between the factory and the dealer or possibly between the dealer and the local MN Boat show that takes place in January. The dealer discounted the price given the "oxidation" for what they said was snow piles. It is possible, but unless the snow piles had salt in them, I don't know what else would have caused the etching.

I made the mistake of buying the boat thinking that it would blend in based on what the dealer said. The dealer also said they were looking at a cleaner that might help. They had damage to more than one pontoon.

I regret my decision and the few $'s saved wasn't worth it. The rest of the boat is fantastic.

I doubt that I have a valid warranty claim given the situation and the dealer disclosure. This was my first pontoon and I wasn't as focused enough on the toons during delivery. My mistake.

I agree with Daril about checking with dealer first on warranty. However, given what you described above, sounds like it was signed off on at disclosure/purchase for a discount. I think you are probably correct in that it was a write-off outside of warranty coverage.

I had an issue with one pontoon at my inspection and purchase. Dealer ”sold” me on it would get covered under Bennington’s great warranty. However, Bennington denied it repeatedly, even after much follow up.

Like you, it was a first pontoon purchase rookie mistake on my part. I should have gotten in writing that the problem would be rectified by dealer or Bennington instead of taking their word for it. Now I have simply learned to overlook it.

You might want to try doing something like this to hide the problem...
View attachment 26280
Hey Michiman.... If you don't mind me asking what did that run you? Or did the dealer pay for those? Those are the Vantage guards right???

Hey Michiman.... If you don't mind me asking what did that run you? Or did the dealer pay for those? Those are the Vantage guards right???
Yup, that's the Vantage product. I think our dealer charges a couple grand to apply but they did it for free to hide the poor acid wash job. I've only had them one season but I'm pretty happy with the product so far. Stay tuned...

Yup, that's the Vantage product. I think our dealer charges a couple grand to apply but they did it for free to hide the poor acid wash job. I've only had them one season but I'm pretty happy with the product so far. Stay tuned...
I've seen them on a few boats here. Looks really nice! Looks like it's pretty durable.

I've seen them on a few boats here. Looks really nice! Looks like it's pretty durable.
Of course, time will tell how durable it actually is but so far so good. I'll plan on updating its performance at the end of next season.

Back