Scrubbing Toons in Water

Michael Joseph

Reaction score
What Scotchbrite pads, or similar, do you recommend for scrubbing toons while in the water? They make various degrees of pads (red, grey, white).

I use car wash mitts .But I also try to wipe them down once a week

I use a RV Brush while in the water. Mine have Sharkhide so I really don't have to scrub them. Are yours bad?

I use an R.V. Brush. Mine have Sharkhide so they aren't bad at all. Yours don't look bad in your picture! Would Scotchbrite scratch them up ?

That picture is from March, when the boat was brand new. I have Sharkhide as well and I would scrub them with a brush every 2-3 weeks but I still have a nice build of sludge and my top speed has tanked. I don’t think it was doing much. Time to switch to something more aggressive. I still have another month+ of boating season left.

I don't have Sharkhide and my boat stays in the water from March to Nov. I acid wash every November and then use the green Scothbrite pads while the boat is in the water. I get the ones that are about 6" x 9" from Home Depot.

I've got Sharkhide applied and we float around and wipe the toons everytime we go out. I use a large sponge or dish towel. The crap still sticks to the toons but the Sharkhide makes it easier to just wipe off.....

I have short-handle and long-handle stiff-bristle polypropylene brushes that I use 2-3 times a year when beached up at some island. They are very inexpensive at most any discount joint. Knocking off even light growth adds 2-3 MPH for our modestly powered pontoon.

Back