Sea legs on 20’

Dereck Houge

Reaction score
Hello all, I am purchasing a new Bennington 20SLV and is like to put sea legs on it. Most people have said it would be no problem but one dealer said they would make me sign a waver and said it’s a bad idea to install them on a 20’ pontoon because I wouldn’t have enough flotation. Do any of you have sea legs on a 20’ pontoon or know someone with them? Any advice would be appreciated!
thanks, Dereck

Welcome Dereck! Post some pictures when you take command of her. Personally, I'd contact Sea Legs directly to see what they have to say. Other members have indicated that they're pretty responsive to inquiries. Either way, good luck!

I would not think there should be an issue unless you do not have 25” round pontoons?

Echo Michiman above. Get ahold of Sea Legs directly. I have them. Love them. But I have a 24’ with SPS hull. I have had a couple issues questions, and the people at Sea Legs have been highly responsive. I felt with Jarod Lee a couple years ago, more recently Nate. Both were good, but I believe Nate was the main contact/Rep for Michigan (my state). The direct number for them that I have in my phone is (952) 934-7000. Good luck!

What has flotation got to do with it ? Aren't they up out of the way when boating, then the boat is out of the water when beached. Unless it's a weight limit on a smaller pontoon ?

What has flotation got to do with it ? Aren't they up out of the way when boating, then the boat is out of the water when beached. Unless it's a weight limit on a smaller pontoon ?
Good question. They only weight about 385 lbs, equality distributed. Shouldn’t be a factor at all. It’s basically like having 2 people on board all the time, so just a matter of reducing your possible load capacity accordingly if one is being careful.

Might need to consider the full package of motor size and boat capacity. I have ultra legs on a 22' with a 115hp Yamaha two log boat, two batteries. I wanted to upgrade to the 150. Dealer wanted me to sign a waiver because they have had issues with poor performance. Maybe it is a combination of weight placement in the back.

Probably all of the above and may also be the distance between front and back legs for the support. This is not a floatation issue but a stability issue. There is probably a formula of weight distribution (i.e. boat, gas gas tank, motor) total possible weight (add people and stuff), and length of vessel /spread of legs that they use to guarantee anything.

Probably all of the above and may also be the distance between front and back legs for the support. This is not a floatation issue but a stability issue. There is probably a formula of weight distribution (i.e. boat, gas gas tank, motor) total possible weight (add people and stuff), and length of vessel /spread of legs that they use to guarantee anything.
Hadn’t even considered this aspect of it. I can see these things all contributing.

Back