Sea star power assist

jimmycat

Reaction score
I have been a member for a bit. Never posted just been educating myself on the world of pontoon boats. I own a 2015 24 sslx and was hoping someone could post the part number for the power assist pump for the sea star system. I want to upgrade just confused on which pump I need. Thanks again. 

Do you have Seastar or Baystar steering on your boat? This is the unit. If you have Baystar steering you cannot add power steering.

If you already have the hydraulic steering the pump can easily be added.

Here is what was added to mine after the fact. Made a big difference!

14F35E60-3BDD-4A28-8B73-836D92B20334_zps2jfd2hvf.jpg

If you already have the hydraulic steering the pump can easily be added.

Here is what was added to mine after the fact. Made a big difference!

But it has to be Seastar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct. I was just adding on to what you said with a visual.

I do have the sea star hydraulic steering. just dont know what power assist pump to order or the best place to order it. looking online there is a few different sizes. If it helps i have the yamaha 150.  thanks again

I was just quoted $3,600. Part of the reason for the inflated price is they are saying the whole steering hub needs to be replaced also at a $700 price tag. They say this because the ratio  on hydraulic model is 1.7 and with power assist you need 2.4. I did get a quote from very large and reputable dealer in the lake of the ozarks for $2,800 because they don't replace the hub.

Go here. They will be able to tell you if the helm (hub) change is necessary.

Thank you! I will check with them tomorrow.

Thank you Cwag.  I went directly to Seastar. No you don't need to replace helm as power assist pump works with displacement of Max of 2.4 and works optimally with displacement between 1.7 and 2.0. If I had agreed to the 2.4, the system would not have worked optimally. This saves $700 in parts alone. I am getting close to resolving this issue.

You're very welcome.

I just spoke with Bennington customer service and the guy stated I would need to replace the helm with the 2.4 system. He advised it will not work to just add the pump?  I'm confused now. 

Works fine on our boat and I did the add about 7 years ago.

That information is flat out wrong.  I went directly to Seastar and the power assist accepts displacement steering helms to  max of 2.4. It works optimally with helms of 1.7 to 2.0.  I just went through through all of this  during the week and Bennington will not be replacing the steering helm. If they did replace it, it would work, but not optimally. I can forward the email from Seastar to you if you message me your personal email.

I just spoke with Bennington customer service and the guy stated I would need to replace the helm with the 2.4 system. He advised it will not work to just add the pump?  I'm confused now. 

My above post was responding to this.  I finally figured out how to quote. Slow learner.

Thanks for the information. I trust you guys and am so glad this forum is available. I'm going to order the pump and go for it. Any other parts needed other than the extra hydraulic hoses?  Again thanks for the help. 

Back