Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

SeaStar Hydraulic Steering Grease Nipples

Discussion in 'Technical Stuff' started by John(DE), Dec 2, 2018.

1. John(DE)

John(DE) New Member

I have a crazy question I just ran into winterizing my 2018 for the first time. Hoping that somebody else that has the SeaStar hydraulic steering can take a quick look at theirs and give me an assist, as I would sure hate to have to tow the boat back to the dealer to get an answer on this one.

My steering cylinder has a grease nipple on the port side of the cylinder. However, on the starboard side, securing the ground strap, there is what sure looks like a grease nipple that my grease gun attaches to as expected. But there is no hole in the nipple. It's not clogged, I picked at it with an awl and it is filled with metal. I'm trying to figure out if I got a bad grease nipple that wasn't machined correctly, or if that fitting on the starboard side really isn't supposed to be a grease nipple.

It's certainly easy enough to replace the nipple. but I don't want to shoot grease into some place that it was not intended.

2. the-little-B

the-little-B Well-Known Member

Can't help with your question as I don't have power steering but if it is plugged , the grease "ZERK" as they are called is a simple part to replace. If it's over/around any linkage I lcouldn't see how you'd hurt anything with grease.

3. KC24

KC24 Well-Known Member

Dealer should be able to answer by phone

4. lakeliving

lakeliving Well-Known Member

Are they for bleeding air out? I would hold off on pumping grease into the system for now.

5. Spoiledrotten

Spoiledrotten Well-Known Member

021AD54C-4784-4DB7-923D-157F355671C0.jpeg EA31B4A6-1A30-4B69-BB7C-FBF876CA1F95.jpeg E1B772C1-24F0-4D93-A713-08D3A22EA7BE.jpeg 2992514B-98DB-4D70-983D-015E39BA31EE.jpeg 08A17822-93D4-4578-99C5-1116EBFCB60E.jpeg Here are the 4 fittings on my sea star.

6. SEMPERFI8387

SEMPERFI8387 Moderator

Top two look like hydraulic. Bottom look like grease zerks. And the bottom two look like pivot points.

Spoiledrotten likes this.
  7. BulldogsCadillac

BulldogsCadillac Just some guy

I'd agree with Semp

8. John(DE)

John(DE) New Member

Thanks. The bottom 2 on Spoiledrotten's pictures are the ones. Talked to SeaStar - they are both grease zerks. They were great, immediately dropped me a new set in the mail. Upon examination of the new ones, they are unlike any grease zerks I have encountered in the past, the hole in the nipple has a small spring loaded ball bearing in it. I imagine to keep water out, and when you pump grease it pushes the ball in to open it up. Now I am thinking the old one maybe had a rusted ball or spring. Going to grease up the end of the zerks to protect that mechanism.

9. cwag911

cwag911 Moderator

All zerks have the ball and spring.