Seastar Hydraulics vs Power Assist Hydraulics

Captmisket

Reaction score
I have a 22 ft pontoon with a 150 Yamaha.  Dealer forgot to put the Seastar Hydraulic system on delivery.  When I take it back to have it installed, should I upgrade to the Power Assist?

The 22 is going to be used for short fishing trips, long cruising trips, etc.  I want to make sure the boat has the steering

ease.  I am not sure the Seastar will deliver.  This is a boat we are going to be using for a long time.

Need some help on this.  Thanks.

If you are planning on keeping it and it can be done I would .

I have a 150 on mine with the power assist .If I had to I could turn it  with a finger .

I am sure you will get other opinions .

Our boat came without power assist. I added it after about a year and a half and would not have another boat without it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a 150 is about the max you would go with just hydraulic steering, so if it where me, i would go ahead with the upgrade to power assist.

But  then, it's your money i'm spending!  :)

Thanks everyone for the responses.  I am going to take everyone's advice and upgrade to the power assist.  

I have a 150 with cable steering... You can add the power later... Work out a deal with your dealer to try it with just hydraulic first, then add the power if you don't like it.

We have the seastar hydraulic steering on our 150 and I can say the only thing I don't care for is slow to respond steering and what seems to be limited travel of the motor (turning radius).  After a full season of the new boat I got used to it but coming form a 50HP 22' pontoon with cable steering to a 24' tri-toon with 150HP and hydraulic steering it was a whole new ballgame when it came to docking in our slip.  Where as before the cable steering you could go from lock to lock in about 2 1/2 turns of the wheel the new boat the same thing lock to lock is about 5 turns of the wheel and it doesn't seem to turn quite as sharp as the cable steering as well.  Good thing about the hydraulic steering is the fiance can drive the boat and feel comfortable doing it where as our old boat she didn't care to drive.

Now if you like to tube or ski the hydraulic steering with the 150HP is the only way to go......unless you look like popeye on a spinach buzz then cable steering will probably be just fine :D   :D  
popeye-promo.jpg

We have the seastar hydraulic steering on our 150 and I can say the only thing I don't care for is slow to respond steering and what seems to be limited travel of the motor (turning radius).  After a full season of the new boat I got used to it but coming form a 50HP 22' pontoon with cable steering to a 24' tri-toon with 150HP and hydraulic steering it was a whole new ballgame when it came to docking in our slip.  Where as before the cable steering you could go from lock to lock in about 2 1/2 turns of the wheel the new boat the same thing lock to lock is about 5 turns of the wheel and it doesn't seem to turn quite as sharp as the cable steering as well.  Good thing about the hydraulic steering is the fiance can drive the boat and feel comfortable doing it where as our old boat she didn't care to drive.

Now if you like to tube or ski the hydraulic steering with the 150HP is the only way to go......unless you look like popeye on a spinach buzz then cable steering will probably be just fine :D   :D  
popeye-promo.jpg
You might have some air in the system. Have the dealer bleed it with the power-purge jr.

I'm curious to see how mine is after some warranty repairs scheduled for the end of the month. I'm sure leaking fluid would indicate air in my system......

I'm curious to see how mine is after some warranty repairs scheduled for the end of the month. I'm sure leaking fluid would indicate air in my system......
What are they doing with your carpet ?

Bennington wants them to clean it first. The good news is it is only discolored/bubbled up under the helm right now. I dread to think of the options if it does not clean up. I really don't want a 2 sq ft patch job and I REALLY don't want the boat torn all the way down for new carpet to go down. i guess we'll see. The positive to cable steering is there is no fluid that can leak!!

Could there be any damage to the wood underneath ?

Not sure. I haven't pushed on it. I wouldn't think so though. It's not like there was gallons dump on it. I think the carpet absorbed it like a sponge. It doesn't feel saturated to the touch.

I am cursed. I went up and got all my personal items out of the boat last night as it is being picked up by a local dealer (shout out to Whites Landing) for it's journey back to Elkhart and guess what I saw under the helm.....these were just replaced a couple weeks back!! Everyone with hydraulic should check their lines for leaks.

9ABBA437-4332-4BE6-BD47-56AD1D948038_zpsmpdnamo1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At least its getting back to where it can be fixed correctly 

Been there done that.

What was your fix Carl?

Took the lines off and reinstalled them and it stopped. I kept tightening them to no avail before that. I know I've seen a bulletin from Teleflex about the fittings.

Back